Thoughts on Intents Outdoor ultralight tents?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Thoughts on Intents Outdoor ultralight tents?

Postby ToeKnee419 » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 12:29 am

Anyone have any experience with the Intents Outdoor tents? $120 at 700gm held up by a trekking pole. How'll they hold under wind?

http://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/collections/tents/products/ultrapack-640gram-tent-very-compact-light-weight-for-those-on-the-move
ToeKnee419
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Thoughts on Intents Outdoor ultralight tents?

Postby Strider » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 6:12 am

Only one way to find out. This looks similar or even the same, for nearly half the price. My biggest issue would be they are single skin and chances of touching the sides are high due to small interior space.

http://s.aliexpress.com/E7Njyqe2
(from AliExpress Android)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Franco » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 8:34 am

They are different designs.
The one posted by Strider would be short for anyone over about 170cm, the one by the OP might be a bit better than that.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Scottyk » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 10:25 am

ToeKnee419 wrote:Anyone have any experience with the Intents Outdoor tents? $120 at 700gm held up by a trekking pole. How'll they hold under wind?

http://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/collections/tents/products/ultrapack-640gram-tent-very-compact-light-weight-for-those-on-the-move

How they hold under wind depends entirely on how well you peg it out and how many guy lines you have (structural failures aside). These type of tents have no inherit stability so they depend on the pegs for all of there ability to stay upright. All this is ok if you are very careful with how you pitch them and position the guy lines.
At the price I would be too quick to put structural failures out of the question, seems a little too cheap :wink:
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Postby nezumi » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 6:11 pm

That tent looks like this one: Ultralight Aliexpress tent

Most of their inventory look like tents available on Aliexpress of one form or another -just search for 'ultralight'.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 6:59 pm

Not sure how obvious it is but Ali Express is the Chinese equivalent of E Bay.
So simply because two products are advertised on AliExpress it does not mean that they are made by the same brand.
However it , for example, if an Ali Express tent is sold under 3F , well it will be the same as a "similar" product also sold as a 3F tent on a different site...
(3F is a brand...)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ToeKnee419 » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 9:10 pm

not to nitpick but posting links to similar products really doesnt help aha. Id like peoples opinion on whether or not they'd be an ok purchase for occasional camping at campsites on hikes
ToeKnee419
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Strider » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 10:16 pm

Yes it would be OK. But a double wall tent would be better.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Silicone ... e263d1b205
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby undercling-mike » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 11:11 pm

Looks like a copy of the Big Sky Wisp: http://bigskyproducts.com/big-sky-wisp- ... -tent.aspx

It looks like it'd be ok, condensation could be an issue and it'd be fairly minimalist inside, particularly at the foot end given that it is a single wall tent and the way the walls slope. If pitched narrow end into the wind it looks fairly aerodynamic but it looks like it might suffer if pitched broadside into the wind.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 04 Sep, 2016 8:14 am

The OP's Intent tent looked to be similar if not identical to a model I've seen briefly on Aliexpress in the past. Also at that price, I'm not surprised if it was made in China, similar or worse in quality as the other Ali examples Strider linked. Except weight, suspect there are better picking on Aliexpress as Strider repeatedly suggested.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Sun 04 Sep, 2016 7:12 pm

Sorry if I came across as rude. I know very little about Aliexpress tents but have been doing some research lately as I was looking for a cheap tent to take my 3 year old son camping for the first time and wanted a bit more room than my Scarp 1. Settled for the one below (Big Agnes Flycreek UL3 clone) and pulled the trigger last night. Reviews are very positive but I'll be sure to provide some feedback once I've had it in action.

http://s.aliexpress.com/zuemY3Q3

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment