how long do gas bottles last?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

how long do gas bottles last?

Postby scubabob » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 3:23 pm

ive recently bought myself a little Kovea gas cooker and put a 450gm bottle under it. Before i go heading off into any wilderness, i want to know how long it will last.

I have been doing some tests in "the laboratory" (AKA the kitchen of which SWMBO isnt too impressed) but as we all know, bench tests differ considerably from those in the field. i have been boiling my tin mug (ex army) on it everytime i make a cuppa and it doesnt seem to be getting near empty. Been keeping a tally of "cups boiled" and 'time used'

Anyone have any idea? Also, is it better to carry a single 450gm bottle or 2x 225gm ones? i figure smaller ones would be easier to pack plus is i lost one, still got another. Make sense or not? Also, if anyone has any suggestions, pitfalls and 'beware ofs" i'd be most grateful.
you can't trully experience a rainforest without the rain
scubabob
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Joe » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 5:40 pm

Unrelated...but a friend of mine who works in bushwalking store was telling me that you can now get little plastic stands that your gas canister clips into...which make for a much more stable platform to cook on. which will allow you to take the smaller bottles like you mentioned. She is going to let me know as soon as she has them in stock and I will be buying one. WIll probably give it a review in the equipment thread i made.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.
Region: Tasmania

Equipment

Postby corvus » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 6:16 pm

G'day All,
As a Gear freak I have two of these stands one by Primus and one by Brunton the Primus has a slightly bigger Footprint than the Brunton which has non slip feet but both are ecellent ,keep the cannister of the ground and stabelise the stove/lantern (Primus now seem scarce but Brunton readily available ex USA) for cannister stove users I give these units a 10 out of ten (pity I cannot source the heat pad that fits under them for snow use) a plus is also that they can be leveled to suit conditions and in the absence of the "heat pad" a wee bit of "Blue Pad" under the can may help for insulation.
I may add that they are cheap as .
corvus
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Gas cannisters

Postby corvus » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 6:48 pm

G'day scubabob.
The 225 g is the way to go IMO easier to pack and if you buy the can stand sabiliser mentioned previousley, its excellent , also any gas left over can be used in a refillable lighter (check Helios) using the Fill Adaptor from Kathmandu (gees another Plug) or use the Gas to char grill Capsicums :)
corvus.
corvus

Kovea Stove

Postby norts » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 6:50 pm

I always use my Kovea titanium, great stove.
I always use a wind shield, apiece of foil made out of a disposable baking tray. When I make a brew I just use my metal cup so I am not boiling extra water. A lid for mug will also extend life of gas.

I can usually get 6 days out of a 225. That will depend on what you are cooking, how many brews you have a day etc and how many you are cooking for.
I have had to put the bottle down in my sleeping bag on a few cold mornings. Now thats cold when it hits bare skin.
As for a pot stand, I use to use one because I was worried about stove falling over but I never bother anymore. I was a home made one that worked very well. Just extra weight that I dont need these days.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Kovea Stove

Postby Joe » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 6:57 pm

norts wrote:I always use my Kovea titanium, great stove.
I always use a wind shield, apiece of foil made out of a disposable baking tray. When I make a brew I just use my metal cup so I am not boiling extra water. A lid for mug will also extend life of gas.

I can usually get 6 days out of a 225. That will depend on what you are cooking, how many brews you have a day etc and how many you are cooking for.
I have had to put the bottle down in my sleeping bag on a few cold mornings. Now thats cold when it hits bare skin.
As for a pot stand, I use to use one because I was worried about stove falling over but I never bother anymore. I was a home made one that worked very well. Just extra weight that I dont need these days.

Roger

ive heard bad things about using windshields with gas stoves....in that they can cause an updraft (or is it downdraft) of air which can cause canister to go boom...it sounded dubious when i was told...but still.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Equipment

Postby corvus » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 7:00 pm

Both my can stands weight less than 1.5 oz which is around 45 g so the can stand is really worth its weight,Norts what stand did you use.[/quote]
corvus

GasCannisters

Postby corvus » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 7:01 pm

Thats in total 1.5 for both
corvus

Pot Stand

Postby norts » Mon 12 Nov, 2007 7:52 am

It was a home made one. It wasn't just a weight thing, I just didn't use it.
I probably would if I was using larger pots or high billies but I only ever use my mug or a small bowl on the stove. I use my stove in my vestibule of my tent and have never had an issue.

It was made from a piece of wheelbarrow tyre tube. It fits nicely over a gas bottle. I would leave the rubber on the bottle. I then made three legs from some metal strapping. I bent it into an L shape. I would slide the short part of the L under the rubber.
It was very easy to setup.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment