MSR Whisperlite Universal

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

MSR Whisperlite Universal

Postby sa_cooke » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 6:51 am

I'm looking for a new stove that handles multi fuels. For nearly 30 years I've used MSR Whisperlites (only onto my second). So, naturally, I turned to the Universal for my needs. Only to find it's not available in Australia. I called the distributer yesterday and they told me it has not been approved for sale here.

Does anyone know why the Whisperlite Universal hasn't been approved for sale here please? It's been approved for sale in North America and in Europe. I would not have thought that our testing and approval regime would be any different to other jurisdictions.

Thanks!
sa_cooke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: MSR Whisperlite Universal

Postby stry » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 8:23 am

Depends how many fuels you want to use. The W'lite International is readily available here, as are more expensive MSR liquid fuel stoves with capability for more than one liquid fuel.

Check the MSR website for details, then your retailer. You wont have a problem.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby taipan821 » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 2:56 pm

I've seen the whisperlite universal for sale in Australia so have no idea why you can't get it.

and you could always go for the competition. The primus omnifuel and optimus Nova+ are both multifuel stoves which will run on anything and everything
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby sa_cooke » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 9:25 pm

taipan821 wrote:I've seen the whisperlite universal for sale in Australia so have no idea why you can't get it.

Could you direct me to the supplier that is selling the MSR Whisperlite Universal please? The distributor said that the stove has not been approved for sale here.

I prefer to use what I have experience with -- nearly 30 years in the case of my Whisperlite. I tend to buy gear more for the confidence I have in it rather than any other concern. I walk almost exclusively in Tassie, and I know from long experience what works for me here.
sa_cooke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 9:59 pm

Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Walking Sailor » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 10:10 pm

The Whisperlite Universal, Optimus Polaris & Vega (and any other stove where the gas canister is designated by the manufacturer to be upside down) can not be imported into Australia and sold. They don't fit anywhere under the Australian Standards. It is apparently to do with when the fuel transforms from a liquid to a gas. On traditional gas stoves this occurs as the gas leaves the canister, however, when the canister is upside down a fuel which is designated as a gas product may enter the hose as a liquid. Something which is not covered as an allowed circumstance under the standards. As it can't fit in the standards it is illegal to import and sell in Australia, thank you nanny state!!

Anyone who is selling one in Australia is breaking the law, which is why the distributor and no reputable retailer will risk it. Not to mention because its not coming through the correct distribution network there is not guarantee it is genuine MSR. Why would anyone counterfeit an MSR stove? I wouldn't have believed someone would go to the bother until the counterfeit Petzl stuff turned up a few years ago.

If you want liquid multi fuel I love my Optimus Nova: shellite, kero, ULP (if you are desperate), diesel, durable aluminium pump. I prefer the Nova over the Nova+, as I hate the Nova+ fuel control.
Walking Sailor
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby sa_cooke » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 10:24 pm

Thank you Moondog! However, at that price I might forgo the Universal for now and look for alternatives. I know I don't have experience with many other stoves, but I guess most stoves these days are reliable.
sa_cooke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby undercling-mike » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 10:22 am

That's interesting about the Whisperlite Universal not being allowed under Aus standards. I have a friend who has one that was apparently bought in Aus and had some warranty issue dealt with by the Aus distributor. She got it a couple of years ago so maybe they brought them in for a time before they were disallowed.

As for other alternatives are you set on the idea of having a stove that will run on gas canisters, shellite and kerosene? This limits the choices down to a few only being the WL universal, Primus Omifuel/Omnilite and Optimus Polaris Optifuel ( + Edelrid Hexon and maybe there are a few others). If you relax the requirement to only canister gas and shellite then there are more options including a few nice looking stoves from Kovea including the Hydra and the Booster Dual Max. Both of those stoves have quiet burner heads and Kovea has a good reputation for quality, look on ebay for these stoves.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sa_cooke » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 4:14 pm

@undercling-mike - you're right. I shouldn't set my specifications so tightly. I did only want one stove though. I have asked Cascade Designs in the US if there is any other way to get a Whisperlite Universal into Oz. I suspect the answer will be no, but worth a try I thought. As I said earlier, I already have a Whisperlite Internationale; I know it, I like it, and it simmers well. I've used them for nearly thirty years. I guess that's why I wanted the Universal - it's a treatment of an old classic I feel comfortable and confident with.
sa_cooke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby undercling-mike » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 5:03 pm

Cascade Designs may well have to say no but if you can get one sent to you either through a freight forwarder, a friend or a seller on ebay willing to post to Aus I don't think you'd have any problem. Tons of un-certified stoves come in to the country from China without problem (although I've seen the users have some problems with the stoves themselves for the low quality types). Looks like you could get one sent to you from the UK website Rock+Run (www.rockrun.com) for about $190 at the moment.

Out of curiosity what has finally failed on your previous whisperlites?
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sa_cooke » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 8:57 pm

Nothing has ever failed on my Whisperlites. I've been careful about o-rings, particularly on the bottle-pump interface, however. I used my first Whisperlite from 1989 until 2012. I took it in to the local bushwalking shop here in Hobart during 2012 to ask for a new o-ring for the pump, and the manager informed me that he did not have suitable o-rings, and that he'd heard Cascade Designs had issued a warning on the old fabric covered fuel-line models, which mine was. So I reluctantly bought a new one.

More recently I have seen many canister fuel stoves being used, and I thought I'd see what the fuss was about them. Turns out it was convenience. I bought one from Kathmandu (on a "special" 50% off offer for use at the Falls Festival) and found it was very convenient - no priming, no controlling the flare-up (which is very easy, but the flare up happens EVERY time)... One thing I found very difficult to deal with in using the canister stove, was the precariousness of my pot siting atop a stove that was itself sitting atop a gas canister. It's a problem waiting to occur. So I looked around for a stove that could handle a remote gas canister. There are a few I found, among them the MSR Whisperlite Universal. I've been inactive for the better part of a year now, due to a knee injury, and it's time to get out again (although I did get out in August, taking advantage of P&W half price special for the Three Capes saunter). So I thought I'd treat myself to a new stove before heading out. Turns out I can't buy the one I want in Australia. Yes, I can get it sent to a friend in the States who will forward it to me, but I thought I'd try the Cascade Designs route first. Now, armed with your information, I might just get one from the UK if Cascade Designs aren't able to come through.

Thank you for the information @undercling-mike.
sa_cooke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Walking Sailor » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 2:16 pm

undercling-mike Your friend probably bought it from someone who grey imported it and then sold it illegally to your friend. I'm guessing that what tourtech are doing buying from a OS online retailer for about $190 including freight then wacking a healthy profit on it. Which I think technically means your friend bought second hand goods. So MSR don't need to honour the warranty. At a guess, the local distributor serviced it to keep the good name of MSR. I think its only illegal to sell nonstandard stoves, servicing is probably fine. An lawyers on here who could confirm this?
Walking Sailor
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 4:15 pm

Fair enough, that's probably what happened. I guess I was just a bit surprised that they couldn't be sold here because I have seen several people with them over the past few years. Seems like the regs are a bit out of whack if you can't sell a quality stove like the MSR but anyone can import any poor quality junk stove they like but I guess that's a whole other topic.

Good to hear that you've never had any failures with your whisperlites sa_cooke! That's some very reliable service.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stroller » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 5:53 pm

I think an primus omni would suit you. Its the one i'im going to buy and that's because i think its better than the MSR models. I've been following stoves for years.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby sa_cooke » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 12:41 am

Well, my new MSR Whisperlite Universal arrived the other day, just in time for a week on the Central Plateau. That would be over the Hobart Show Day weekend. Hopefully the weather would have settled by then...
sa_cooke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment