Tent/shelter for humidity

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Tent/shelter for humidity

Postby Neo » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 9:46 pm

So ive got the hilux aluminum tray, then about 10mm of holey rubber, then a maybe 40mm frame/air gap with a 2.4mm aluminum sheet above that. On top of that I'll have a 10mm eva flooring and sleep on a spring mattress.
A few air gaps an rubbers there to help insulate me from the box (plus ceiling and part walls).
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby crollsurf » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 10:53 pm

I spent the better part of a ski season in the back of a station wagon in my youth. A few mates still laugh and remind me on my "tent inside a tent" theory even now but it worked. Those cars turn into iceboxes at night. I used to run an ocky strap from the rear view mirror to the back of the car and then drape a blanket over it to form a tent inside the car.

Didn't notice any condensation issues with the blanket, I guess I was just young and stupid and it dried out the next day. So if you can form a smaller space between you and the icebox car, it will make life a lot warmer.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:12 am

I second the blanket tent idea as working well. I use it in wall tents too
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 8:52 pm

I'm good to go. Will be car camping and doing overnight walks for the next 5-6 months.
Lined the canopy as planned with 11mm ccf on the floor and two sides.
Ceiling and returns are 90mm earthwool squashed with 4mm ply.
Tested for the last week only down to about 6 but should be good for sub zero.
The two doors aren't lined but any condensation will collect around the seals and drip off when I open up to make coffee in the morning.
Attachments
IMAG3020.jpg
IMAG3029.jpg
With Luci solar lantern
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 4:28 pm

My esky-home has worked perfectly the last couple of months.No need for a fridge yet.

Loving the nomad lifestyle and no modifications required. Full bed, gear and kitchen setup ;)
Can go anywhere anytime now!

Just received some guyline and no-seeum from Tiergear as it's spring and the mozzies are coming.

The yacht solar vent works ok but is pretty small. Two, having one air in and one air out might be better but it's $100 or so each. Only had minor condensation on the bare metal until last week, change in the weather/dew point I guess and had some moisture on the ceiling screws but my stuff doesn't seem to be absorbing any detrimental moisture.

Defo going for some 10lt jerry cans then dual batteries under the tray when I can. Maybe a small fridge too. Have an mid-sized pack stored behind the drivers seat, put my main pack on the seat at night and have tools/bushwalk food behind the passenger side.
Next is to find a pozzie for an 8qt cast iron camp oven so that I can do curries on a fire. Mm-mmm.
Attachments
IMAG3292.jpg
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Equipment