Canvas Daypack reccomendations

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Canvas Daypack reccomendations

Postby abradshaw » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 8:41 am

Hello everyone.

I live in Canada but am looking for a canvas daypack - and Australian brands seem to be the best options (OP, Mont, WE). The one that interests me the most is the One Planet Zipless as I need something very weather resistant for winter use - just carrying extra clothing for the kids while we go snowshoeing, etc. so I don't need anything larger than 25-30 litres. And I just really like canvas.

The problem is that I can't find any retailer that will ship the OP internationally.
Thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knows a retailer that might actually ship to Canada or if there is an alternate pack I should consider that might be easier to get all the way over here.

Thanks.
abradshaw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Canvas Daypack reccomendations

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 9:09 am

OP packs are good but this is one of my own favourite day packs and "Bogong" are happy to ship/post O/S

http://www.bogong.com.au/packs/day-pack ... ack-1.html
It is a small as I personally go when taking tadpoles out
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby abradshaw » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 9:30 am

Thanks Moondog. How is the back panel on this one - really sweaty or a little bit airy? Bodong has this policy on their website though:

International Orders
Bogong regrets that at this point of time orders for delivery to countries other than Australia and New Zealand are not available. You may order from overseas for delivery to an address in Australia or New Zealand. You must enter an Australian or New Zealand address for both billing and shipping.
abradshaw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 9:43 am

Personal query on your behalf about 15 minutes ago
Canvas back panel and feels good when I carry it
If you need something I'd be happy to forward post for you We do it all the time here and also the reverse as many American shops have similar stupid policies
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby abradshaw » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 10:08 am

Awesome. Thanks for checking into that and for the offer.

The Traverse might be more the size I'm looking at. Any idea about the weather resistance on the WE packs compared to the OP ones? That's really my only other concern. Would prefer not to have to use a cover for snowy conditions - makes it hard to get to gear.
abradshaw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 10:22 am

None of them are as WP as their hype would have you believe but highly water resistant under normal conditions.
Given the dry snow conditions you should normally have I would say no problems
Personally I never use a rain cover and have always used pack liners instead. As far as I'm aware both companies source their fabric from the same company and are approximately equal
I don't know how WE calculate their pack volumes but the 40l pack doesn't hold 40 litres of water, more like 25 to 30
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 9:48 pm

I have the Traverse. A friend has the Zipless. Both are excellent in their own way.

Given how much space stuffed in clothing can take up, particularly as you mentioned "kids'", I think you would be happier with the Traverse.

I don't think it has been mentioned, but the canvas used in the major brands takes a few thorough wettings and dryings before it's full water resistant potential will be realized. Once or twice won't be enough. A good reason for a garbag inside, at least for a while.

Ditto on the pack cover. I have only ever used one in successful attempts to baffle the currawongs. -
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Avatar » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 1:25 am

I've had the Zipless pack for a few years now and I have used it everyday for my commute, and it is packed heavy.
I am very happy with it, it has no signs of any wear yet, it is comfortable (has a waist belt) and it is tough.
Good choice.
I'll be getting another either when this one wears out or if production is stopped - whichever occurs first.

Highly Recommended ****

I also have a 25 year old Outgear 25L canvas daypack that just won't give out. But I doubt they are still available.
Last edited by Avatar on Sun 25 Sep, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stevechan75 » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 3:18 pm

I'm a bit of a One Planet tragic. Have the Traverse and it's great.

Just walked down from Feathertop in pretty wet conditions. My larger One Planet pack (Stiletto) kept the water out.

They now have their own online store and as far as I can tell they'll ship to you. https://www.oneplanet.com.au/shipping/
stevechan75
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gusto » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 7:02 pm

I've got an OP traverse. I use it alot. It's very durable. The WE pack mentioned above is also a good option.

So to is this pack from Summit Gear.
http://www.summitgear.com.au/summit-gear-cockatoo-pack/
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whynotwalk » Thu 22 Sep, 2016 5:17 am

I'm an OP tragic too, but I have used the Cactus "Portal" as my daypack for years. It is wonderful: strong, well-built ... in short bombproof. They have other models too, and when I bought one from their factory in Christchurch, they were willing to customize (eg add a waist belt).

I'm not sure of their policy of posting from NZ ... but check them out here http://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/packs-ba ... packs.html

Cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mountain Rocket » Thu 22 Sep, 2016 9:22 am

I too love OP but my everyday pack is a Summit Gear Eirick. Also canvas and made in Aus. I found the OP daypacks a little long in the back, having owned and used the Zippeless prior to getting the Eirick. No looking back!
Also from initial investigations they seem to ship internationally, you may have to confirm that though.
http://www.summitgear.com.au/summit-gear-eirik-pack/
Mountain Rocket
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Gusto » Fri 23 Sep, 2016 3:33 pm

As mentioned I have an OP traverse. It is probably my most used pack, even though I do not use it for overnight walks.

It's 9 years old and still going strong. I do love that it is very robust. It is also a rather useful size.
However... I often find it is a tadd small for my liking. To overcome this I sometimes connect some Aarn front pockets.

I also think it is too small for you, based on your intended use.

I feel you would better suited to the One Planet shadow for two reasons. Firstly, it is about 10 litres bigger and Secondly it has a vastly superior hip belt.

Some similar sized options also worth a look are:
Mont Sentinel. or Tanami
Summit Gear Bluegum
Aarn Peak Aspiration. (not canvas though)
Wilderness Equipment Razor 50 (not canvas and I'm also not sure what the harness is like either)
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sam_b » Sun 25 Sep, 2016 9:20 pm

I've had an OP Traverse for 8 years or so (still in great condition after heaps of use) and a Summit Gear Cockatoo pack. Both are great but I find I always reach for the Summit Gear pack first, as it's bigger and really comfortable. The latter might have something to do with the fact that they made me a custom one for my back length, so I'm always happy to give them a plug. Their packs look simple, but are really well designed and constructed.
sam_b
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Gusto » Thu 29 Sep, 2016 3:41 pm

I was in a gear store today and I was looking at the Traverse.

As mentioned previously, I own and regularly a Traverse (2007 model), and I felt the hip belt would have been better if it were more substantial. The Traverse I saw todat had a much better hipbelt on it than my old one did. So that it is a good thing.

The other interesting thing worth sharing was that it was the last Traverse on the shelf and that One Planet have stopped making the current model. Soon they will be releasing a new version of the Traverse. It will feature an improved hip belt which has bottle pockets integrated into it. So I guess it will be the same or very similar to the Midi hipbelt on the Shadow Pack.
I think the rest of the pack will be pretty similar.

So if you wait a few months you may be lucky and be able to buy the old model on Sale. or you could buy the new and improved version.

Note, I still feel that you may find 40L a tadd small though.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sa_cooke » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 10:04 pm

As everyone above has said, One Planet probably have the right pack for you. If you are still concerned about getting gear sent to you from Australia, a quick call to One Planet, or an email to them, will set you up. They have always been very helpful whenever I've needed to seek help over products -- in fact I called them today to find out some information.

And a note about the waterproofness of OP packs, 4 or 5 serious soaks in the bath, with drying time between each soak, will season the pack for you. They are remarkably water resistant.
sa_cooke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby abradshaw » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I contacted One Planet and unfortunately, they're not really willing to help me out. They did agree to ship a pack, reluctantly, but quoted more than $150 to ship it. I don't understand why other companies can ship for $30-$50, yet One Planet won't.
abradshaw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gusto » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 6:26 pm

Try Vast Outdoors. They sell OP. they dont have a website, but they provide excellent customer service.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1 ... =typeahead.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby abradshaw » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 11:13 am

Thanks for the referral Gusto. Vast Outdoors got me all set up with a pack. Great company.
abradshaw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gusto » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 12:14 pm

I'm glad to hear that they were able to help.
I used work there over 10 years ago when I was on high school. It has changed name since then, but it's still the same owner.

I have not had much contact with the srore since I worked there bevause I moved away from Melbourne.

They have always prided themselves on providing good service and very willing to source equipment that they don't have on the shelf.

The difficult thing is they don't have a website yet, so it is a tricky to know what stock they have instore.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby biggbird » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 2:38 pm

abradshaw wrote:Thanks for the referral Gusto. Vast Outdoors got me all set up with a pack. Great company.

Out of interest, what did you end up going with?

Everybody here seems to favour the Traverse for their daypack, and I've certainly seen a bunch out on the track. I picked up a One Planet Vertex a couple of years ago and love it. Pretty similar to the Traverse I guess, so I can see why they're so popular!
biggbird

Postby abradshaw » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 2:57 pm

I actually got the WE Traverse which is a perfect size for my planned activities. My son really liked the look of the OP Zipless so that's the one I'm trying to get a hold of. I decided not to go with the OP Traverse because of the lack of external pockets. But the WE Traverse is great.
abradshaw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gusto » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 3:32 pm

WE bags are incredibly well built. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. But may I ask why you chose the the WE Traverse over the WE Contour?
http://wildernessequipment.com.au/detail.php?Code=Contour
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby abradshaw » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 3:43 pm

Sure. I simply didn't need the volume. I intended to use it for snowshoe trips (I never go far) so needed it for extra clothing. I find I don't need a framed pack for that. For anything under 8 kgs or so, I prefer a frameless pack.
abradshaw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Rlgm12 » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 6:52 am

I'm thinking of getting the WE contour
http://wildernessequipment.com.au/detai ... de=Contour
For three day walks.
Anyone got any user experience to share?
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 7:59 am

Yes I have the older model Good day pack Day&a half pack
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 3:36 pm

Same as Moondog I've owned the previous model for years (simpler design, tough as nails).
Love it, my go to pack for tougher conditions. I use it for bush regeneration which is usually off track/rough, dragging it over rocks, through scrub, wading through creeks etc. For extended purposes I hose it down and use it as airline carry on for trips away to Tassie etc. Plenty of room at ~43 litres but compresses/configures easily to fit inside those airport bag measuring devices, and the pack itself only weighs ~1 kg. Great for day hikes when I'm away. I'd expect the current model to be as tough based on other WE products I own/have owned. It looks to have a couple of extra features now.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment