Aarn body pack and hydration woes

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Aarn body pack and hydration woes

Postby kneighbour » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 8:19 pm

I have a new Aarn Effortless Rhythm and a couple of Sport Balance pockets. I have done a couple of hikes with it, but my first real 'full weight' overnight hike is coming up shortly. I am really at a loss as to how to arrange the water. It is one thing the Aarns are really poor on (in my naive opinion). Extremely poor.

There is a hydration hole in the top lid, which verges on a joke. For a start, the top lid does not hold a 2L hydration bladder (well, you can scrunch it up, but it does not fit). It is also not supported in any way - you just push it into the top lid along with all of your other stuff, and trust that it does not leak or sweat at all. I could use a dry sack of some sort, I guess, but it seems totally wrong. The weight is also all above your neck, which seems incorrect. Not happy with that solution.

Aarn suggests that you put normal water bottles on the front webbing of the Pockets. In fact, they say "Rectangular section water bottles fit best in the mesh pockets on the Balance Pockets". I have never seen a rectangular water bottle, but some users have suggested I find a fruit juice container (or something) from Coles or Woolworths that is of the right shape. The problem is the normal round water bottles are a very tight fit (extremely) and are hard to get to on the walk. They are right out in front of you and you cannot see the tie on straps to reinsert them. This is what I have been using and it really means I usually go without water as it is simply too much effort to get it. It might get you through during winter, but in summer it would not be practical, I don't think.

For the last few hours I have been trying to get a 1L bladder into one of the pockets. I bought 2 of these on ebay and they might in fact work. The 1L bladder fits into the pocket ok - in fact I can fit one into the dry liner provided in each pocket. This is great as it keeps any moisture from the rest of the stuff in the pocket. Things are looking up! There are 2 problems though. The first is that the hose comes out of the pocket zipper at the top and it means you cannot close the zipper completely, which makes the pocket non-waterproof. Not a big problem I guess as the pocket is not really waterproof unless you use the dry liner, and the water bladder is using that. I have considered cutting a hole in the pocket and putting in a bit of velcro to seal it - just as a H2O hole in a normal pack. But that is a bit drastic until I explore all the other avenues.

The other problem is that you have this big hose coming out of the pocket that you need to tie somewhere convenient so that you can use it. I have spent a long time trying different routing options, but so far nothing is that brilliant. The thing is it has to be close to your body otherwise your arm will hit it as you walk. It also has to be held to the side otherwise it eventually pushes the zipper open. I currently have a few cable ties attaching the hose to various bits of the pocket and it might work at a pinch, but I am not happy with it. I might be able to cut the hose down real short - but will see how it goes. This should get me through my next hike ok.

I realise that if you don't have one of these packs this will most likely be double dutch to you. These are weird packs that have some good design points, but some things simply don't make much sense (to me). Obviously Aarn know what they are doing, and as they said in one email to me "There is a reason for everything on our packs,...", but frankly a lot of the stuff is puzzling.

If anyone has any out of left field ideas, would LOVE to hear about them!
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Aarn body pack and hydration woes

Postby Strider » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 8:29 pm

I think the problem is you have gone too small on the balance pockets (and possibly also too large on the main pack). I have no problem fitting 1L Nalgenes or 1.5L PET bottles in the mesh bottle holsters on my Expedition pockets.

To me it doesnt make sense to use a bladder when you can have two bottles right in front of you just 20cm from your nose. It seriously doesn't get any more convenient than this!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby kneighbour » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 8:35 pm

Here are some images
Attachments
P9200052-50%.JPG
This kind of places the water mouthpiece near enough to use
P9200053-50%.JPG
if everything stays like this, I can keep the zipper closed and the water cover covering the zipper ok. So far it does not seem to want to stay like this for long.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 9:03 pm

Strider wrote:I think the problem is you have gone too small on the balance pockets (and possibly also too large on the main pack). I have no problem fitting 1L Nalgenes or 1.5L PET bottles in the mesh bottle holsters on my Expedition pockets.
Well, I had thought of the Expedition Pockets, but was advised not to. Not sure if the pack is too big though. I am used to a 65L (which was a bit cramped for space), so did not really want to get anything smaller. The Effortless Rhythm does not have any side pockets and not much of a top lid, and there is no way to tie anything on top or bottom, so I am thinking I need all the space I can get. It is more of an alpine pack than a general purpose hiking pack, I am guessing.

Strider wrote:To me it doesnt make sense to use a bladder when you can have two bottles right in front of you just 20cm from your nose. It seriously doesn't get any more convenient than this!
Yeah - was about to refute all this...but went back out and tried the pack on again just to see what I was missing. This time I used 1L filter bottles (that I have just received) in the front mesh pockets. I was quite surprised - they worked fairly well. I have been using silicone collapsible bottles and they have been a real pain to put back in. They are not rigid, so very hard to get in, plus they are also a bit 'sticky'.

I never use water bottles, and never have on any of my hikes, so was sticking with the same system as in all my other backpacks. Thanks for pushing me to retry the water bottles - they just might work!
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 9:27 pm

Definitely persevere with the bottles. You will learn to love them!

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kneighbour » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 9:38 pm

Strider wrote:Definitely persevere with the bottles. You will learn to love them!
Yeah, certainly will. Have only done about 10-15km with the Aarn pack so far, and have mixed feelings about it. It is a good system in theory, but let down by weird differences. It would be great if Osprey and Aarn could get together and make a REALLY good pack, especially since they are so expensive. Anyway, only about 20km this weekend, and fairly easy at that (Albert River Circuit), so a good one to work stuff out on.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkon » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 10:14 pm

+1 on the water bottles. I used to have bladders but when one leaked I used bottles and haven't looked back.
I've done thousands of kms with my aarn featherlight freedom and love it. It is a really good pack. While Osprey make an OK pack. I can't think of one thing of theirs that I would like on my aarn.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Strider » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 10:23 pm

walkon wrote:While Osprey make an OK pack. I can't think of one thing of theirs that I would like on my aarn.

Build quality is the only thing Osprey do much much better than Aarn.

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kneighbour » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 10:54 pm

walkon wrote:While Osprey make an OK pack. I can't think of one thing of theirs that I would like on my aarn.
I like side pockets and a good lid pocket. My Aarn does not even have side pockets, That really bums me out as I like to stick little odds and ends in there that I might need quickly. ie raincoat. The front pockets are good, but not as big as side pockets and I am having a hard time replacing/working out where to put the stuff that was in my side pockets. I guess that in a few more trips I will have it all worked out, but for now I am missing a lot of things that are on a 'normal' pack.

I also like the top and bottom loops to put my Z-Lite mattress in. I also put a blanket there sometime. Now, no loops at all. No hydration pack support.

I can live without the hydration pack (painful) and the top/bottom loops, but the side pockets is a bit of a blow. It is not like I did not know any of this when I bought the pack, so I am not complaining or anything (even though it might sound like it), but it is a bit hard getting used to a different system.

My first big hike is this weekend, so that will sort out a lot more stuff for me, I am guessing. The BEST thing about the pack so far - the belt strap. Just love it - best of any pack I have tried.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 11:15 am

I have to admit,I've never got the point of putting water in the balance pockets. That means that as you drink, your weight distribution changes, so you go from beautifully balanced to proportionately too much weight at the back.

I've always put my bladder on the top of the pack, flat, under the lid. Not ideal placement but it works for me. The one thing I wish Aarn would do is a bladder-ready main pack.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby kneighbour » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 1:06 pm

north-north-west wrote:I've always put my bladder on the top of the pack, flat, under the lid. Not ideal placement but it works for me. The one thing I wish Aarn would do is a bladder-ready main pack.
I agree with you completely!! The hydration system implementation in the Aarn pack is unusual to say the least.

I am currently investigating using the extra strap connectors just underneath the top lid as a place to hang a hydration bladder. ie hang it behind the back webbing/framework. there is not much vertical room there - but a 1 or 1.5L bladder should fit ok.

EDIT : well, after trying a couple of bladders, it is not such a good idea. The bladder fits ok, and the hose is good. The problem is the large knob where you put the water into the bladder pushes into your back. Tried a couple of different types of bladders, but so far no luck. Might see what other bladders are available.
Attachments
P9210054-50%.JPG
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lizzy » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 4:48 pm

I have the expedition pockets and use a couple of sport drink water bottles in the front mesh bit. Easy and convenient to get to while on the move. That's 1200ml and if I need more I fill a bladder which I can refill the sport bottle with. Works well for me.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby kneighbour » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 5:18 pm

Lizzy wrote:I have the expedition pockets and use a couple of sport drink water bottles in the front mesh bit. Easy and convenient to get to while on the move. That's 1200ml and if I need more I fill a bladder which I can refill the sport bottle with. Works well for me.
Understood - but it is not my practice to use water bottles. Up until now, at least. I have ALWAYS used a hydration bladder of some sort. It is what I am used to and am comfortable with. There are other benefits to using a water bladder - I can fill the thing with ice, for example.

Where do you put your spare water bladder?

I am open to using water bottles - and it looks as though in the short term I have no choice to. It is really annoying though.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby onward » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 5:56 pm

I have sport pockets and use 1 litre Platypus or Source bladders in the mesh sections and just drink directly from them just like a hydration bladder (i.e., I don't take them out to drink from them) and it works fine, well better than a bladder in the pack because I can see how much I have used! I even played around with a Sawyer Filter bladder and it had a drinking straw, it worked well until I found some algae that blocked the filter :( The bladders have a pull up top and you don't have to take them out of the pockets like a drink bottle.
NNW's point about the balance is a good one, I always wondered about the balance change from drinking the water; it is hard to get enough weight into the front pockets as it is. But even if I drink from a bladder in the rear pack, the balance changes.
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gusto » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 6:50 pm

kneighbour wrote: It would be great if Osprey and Aarn could get together and make a REALLY good pack,

Most experienced bushwalkers consider all the extra pockets that Osprey have as unnecessary bells and whistles. Have you looked at other brands such as One Planet, Mont, Wilderness Equipment and Macpac? None of then have anywhwre close to the number of pockets that Osprey do.

It does take time (trial & error) to find a packing approach that suits you

If your problem is tgat the zip is coming undone then use a tiny carabiner and some bungy cord.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkon » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 9:04 pm

Strider wrote:

Build quality is the only thing Osprey do much much better than Aarn.

After seeing how friends Osprey packs have lasted with heavy use I would disagree.
I'm still amazed that after all the work my pack has done. Only one small bit of stitching (1 cm) has failed and to be honest it hasn't had an easy life. Backpacking Light replaced the bit for free even though I told them how it broke.

kneighbour wrote:I like side pockets and a good lid pocket. My Aarn does not even have side pockets, That really bums me out as I like to stick little odds and ends in there that I might need quickly. ie raincoat. The front pockets are good, but not as big as side pockets and I am having a hard time replacing/working out where to put the stuff that was in my side pockets. I guess that in a few more trips I will have it all worked out, but for now I am missing a lot of things that are on a 'normal' pack.

My aarn has side pockets so can't help there. The sports pockets take something like 12 odd liters so and nothing on your back can be as handy to grap stuff as the front balance pockets.

If you are still unhappy with the pack shoot me a pm and maybe we can do a deal :)
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby kneighbour » Thu 22 Sep, 2016 8:02 am

walkon wrote:My aarn has side pockets so can't help there. The sports pockets take something like 12 odd liters so and nothing on your back can be as handy to grap stuff as the front balance pockets.

If you are still unhappy with the pack shoot me a pm and maybe we can do a deal :)
The thing I am finding with the front pockets is that they are not as handy as I had thought. You need to put your heavy stuff in the front pockets to make them most effective. So I have my kitchen in there, plus lights, battery, and anything I can find that is heavy. It also only fits small stuff so I am limited - basically some of what I would have put in the side pockets now goes in the balance pockets, plus my kitchen and water. So a lot of it is not stuff I need when walking. I still need to work out the loading, but I try to keep the top of the balance pockets free for stuff I might need quickly - ie nibbles, camera and water. So far not too successful in that as there is so little room, but no doubt will work it out.

It is not that I am unhappy with the pack - since I spent so much money on the thing, I am kind of forced to be happy with it! It is all the small things that are getting to me. On my last couple of walks, I forgot all about the load tensioner tube. Since then I have been trying to work it out. It is a small rope thing on your lower right side at the rear of the waist belt. You tension that up and then somehow fasten it. I simply cannot do it. I cannot see it when I am wearing the pack, so you have to do it by feel - and it is not working - it simply does not reliably fasten. It is a plastic cam like thing - you move it back and forth and somehow the cord is jammed into the thing and it won't move. But it is the devil to get it to do it. Even with the pack off I have a hard time clamping it. I have watched the Aarn video, and notice with some glee that even he had some trouble with it. It is like when Aarn made the video showing how to fit the trekking poles - and had trouble getting them in! I almost laughed.

That is why I said earlier if Osprey got involved all these small fiddly things might get fixed.

Anyway, am starting to pack it all up for my hike this weekend - once I get out there all these little worries will be forgotten.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment