Raincoats on the OLT (Tas)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Raincoats on the OLT (Tas)

Postby Aztec » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 9:04 am

Hi Guys,
I came off the Overland Track last week - caught the last 2 days of torrential, 75mm+ of rain...
Standing on the Narcissus ferry platform - everyone seems to be sodden (me included!), and yes, I know it had been raining heavily for 2 days straight (and still was raining/sleeting while waiting for the ferry!)
Chatting with a good dozen people, they all seemed to be complaining about their raingear... I saw Goretex, eVent and Neoshell products, from lots of different labels... they'd all failed by the sounds of things...

My question is what do people wear, did it wet out under heavy rain?
Is two days of heavy rain too much for rain gear?

Just curious as to what people have used *under these type of conditions*? that worked well...

Cheers,
Richard
Cheers,
Richard

“Thoughts come clearly while one walks.” - Thomas Mann

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Raincoats on the OLT (Tas)

Postby wayno » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 10:05 am

as anyone who walks a lot in persistently wet climates will tell you, it doesnt matter what you wear, in persistent heavy rain, the sweat can't get out of your raincoat for any one of several reasons, and it becomes a wetsuit........
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 10:29 am

Aztec wrote:I saw Goretex, eVent and Neoshell products, from lots of different labels...

This in itself is subjective - eg. 2 or 2.5 layer will wet out quicker than a 3L. In particular after prolonged use, the coating on the 2/2.5L's will wear off around the friction points (eg. shoulder straps) and heavy rain will seep through. In any case, regardless of fabric...

wayno wrote:as anyone who walks a lot in persistently wet climates will tell you, it doesnt matter what you wear, in persistent heavy rain, the sweat can't get out of your raincoat for any one of several reasons, and it becomes a wetsuit........

This^^^. There is no such thing as a waterproof shell. This is a good read if interested: http://andrewskurka.com/2015/why-im-hard-on-gore-tex-the-king-of-hype-tm/

That said, you can certainly delay wetting out/or and maximize comfort. Ventilation helps (and in fact is more important than the so-called "breathability" of the abovementioned fabrics), so pit-zippers can help. Regular-ish DWR treatments will make a difference as well. I have a 3L GT Pro shell that I treat regularly and to be honest manage to stay relatively dry in all but the worst conditions (generally a combination of torrential rain and humidity).
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aztec » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 11:20 am

Yeah, that's a good article (and the comments are very informative!)
Cheers,
Richard

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 12:33 pm

There is no such thing as a waterproof shell.

There are plenty of waterproof shells, just not waterproof AND breathable ones under moderate exercise load.

An approach I am planning to investigate. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/cuben-fiber-mountain-poncho/
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Nuts » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 12:40 pm

There's certainly some personal physiology at play. There's usually someone that managed to stay dry though, it seems .
For me , I'd need to be shuffling at a snails pace for the inner humidity to be lesser than that of the air. Expectations are rarely met for many new walkers even with proshell ( which, from our coats, probably produce the least disappointment, at least with the wetting out thing).

I've read Andrews article, for me too, staying warm and implications for other layers, is more important than dry. I'm not sure it applies ( or needs to apply) as a rule though.
Last edited by Nuts on Thu 06 Oct, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aztec » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 12:48 pm

An approach I am planning to investigate. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/top ... in-poncho/

Yeah, I was thinking about ponchos all morning... (not thinking about cuben fibre)

I only saw one poncho on the OLT, not sure how well it would've held up over the Pelion Gap in snow and driving wind/rain...

Might have to look in to poncho designs...
Cheers,
Richard

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 12:59 pm

I have used a Gatewood Cape as combined shelter and rainwear in Pyrenees and in the Snowy Mountains and been very pleased with the results in terms of remaining dry and comfortable but not really suitable for bush bashing. I was wonderful to slip my pack off at lunchtime under the shelter of the cape and then have lunch in comfort in wind and pouring rain. I think the caffin design linked to above will work well as it is a more fitted design and can of course be made in any lightweight material as long as it has a satisfactory proofing. Perhaps the old poncho/groundsheet is not a superseded idea after all.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aztec » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 1:17 pm

Mark F wrote:I have used a Gatewood Cape as combined shelter and rainwear in Pyrenees and in the Snowy Mountains and been very pleased with the results in terms of remaining dry and comfortable but not really suitable for bush bashing.

I don't really go "offroad" - the Overland Track is about as rough as I get...

The poncho idea is looking very promising - I'm pretty sure I would be happy with the waterproofness/breathability - my only concern would be wind/flapping - but I'm sure a belt or some sort of system could reduce that to a minimum... and then there's the decision on sleeves or not :)

On the OLT, you're not really pushing through scrub (the occasional downed tree may force you around it in to scrub, but not for long)

Interesting - very interesting :)
Cheers,
Richard

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnrs » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi Aztec
Nothing works in downpours but heavier is better (but heavier)
viz 3 layer goretex or even heavy proofed nylon.
And in a traditional bushwalking long cut with a big hood and brim.
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby simonm » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 5:06 pm

Mark F wrote:
There is no such thing as a waterproof shell.

There are plenty of waterproof shells, just not waterproof AND breathable ones under moderate exercise load.

An approach I am planning to investigate. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/cuben-fiber-mountain-poncho/

Mark - that looks similar to the Packa, which I wore on the OLT last time around, though the Packa has a more fitted pack cover - http://www.thepacka.com/.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 5:28 pm

Yes - it does look like the packa and there is apparently another similar garment. In the article that provides the pattern and details https://backpackinglight.com/myog_mntn_poncho/ (this may be behind the paywall) Roger states that "There are some similarities between the design presented here and the patented Packa design. Both address the same problem of covering both the wearer and the pack, but the principle patent claims made in the Packa patent are completely avoided by this design.". There is more on this in the associated discussion.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 5:37 pm

Mark F wrote:Yes - it does look like the packa and there is apparently another similar garment. In the article that provides the pattern and details https://backpackinglight.com/myog_mntn_poncho/ (this may be behind the paywall) Roger states that "There are some similarities between the design presented here and the patented Packa design. Both address the same problem of covering both the wearer and the pack, but the principle patent claims made in the Packa patent are completely avoided by this design.". There is more on this in the associated discussion.

I have just read through that, its certainly worth a DIY project. I quite like the Packa the only tricky bit can be accessing the pack when its raining as the pack cover is a reasonably tight fit. It looks like with Rogers design that would be a more simple procedure.

Apologies to the OP for the thread divergence.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby johnk1 » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 6:00 pm

I agree 100% with wayno.

I've found that people are generally soaked in sweat and not rain.
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby slparker » Fri 07 Oct, 2016 9:58 am

So the best jacket is one that has the right blend of durability, weight and ventilation, then.

Vapour transfer numbers, so long as it is above a reasonable minimum, would seem the least concern for anyone wearing a jacket in days of rain. Better off spending money on decent base and midlayers to cope with the inevitable damp conditions under the jacket.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Fri 07 Oct, 2016 10:06 am

A mate and I walked an entire day of the OLT during downpours.

We had the same jacket.

By the end of the day, he was soaked and I was not. The difference - I sweat very, very little. Even during rigorous exercise like running.

I notice the more recent trend of rain gear being quite fitted and stylish. I wear rain gear big (M for my clothes, but L or XL for rain gear).

Don't put too many layers under rain gear because you'll get too hot. Minimal layers underneath (just enough to barely avoid getting too cold) plus an oversized jacket with lots of gaps around sleeves and waist is how I stay dry.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Aztec » Fri 07 Oct, 2016 10:24 am

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:The difference - I sweat very, very little. Even during rigorous exercise like running.

Yeah I sweat buckets sitting down doing nothing :)
That's probably half my problem - not so much water getting in, but water getting out...

I'm liking the idea of a poncho though... should be the best of both worlds, although I'd worry about wind issues coming over Pelion Gap...
Cheers,
Richard

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment