liquid fuel stove for large pots, 5L?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

liquid fuel stove for large pots, 5L?

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 7:14 pm

Anyone got any ideas here? shellite is ideal as far as priming and soot. Weight is not of major concern, but it would be nice to stick to reasonable weights ( 500g before fuel) Main thing is stability under such a large load. right now we are trialing a couple of the Soto Muka stoves, and they are alright, but large pots need extra bracing. lots of good features on the Soto, minimal flareing and a line purge are nice features. Simmer is nice but not critical since we do most of the cooking on trangias. The liquid fuel is as a replacement to some butane burners that fit into a trangia holder that are just not cutting it for cost, and cold. but the loss is the amazing stability of the trangia base.

I know MSR does a large stove base (have one for my whisperlite, well worth it considering what the hose likes to do to the stove) Does anyone else? Or does anyone know of a stove that can be easily modified, or a base built to make a larger platform, both for stove stability as well as for the pot?

Ideas?
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: liquid fuel stove for large pots, 5L?

Postby rucksack » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 7:25 pm

MSR Dragonfly? It's designed for large pots and is a dual valve stove, so you can simmer. It is probably the only MSR stove designed for 5L pots.

rucksack
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 8:31 pm

Heck I use pots bigger than that with the XGK-EX, it's pot diameter that counts not capacity really; just checked the MSR site and a pot 250mm diameter is maximum [ which just happens to be the size of the windscreen. so if the pot is a deep one no problem except stability so a big solid base is needed Mine is plywood and flashing
Pot 250 wide and 250 deep holds about 10 litres
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 07 Oct, 2016 3:37 pm

yeah, that's what I was figuring, I think a base for the Muka might be the cost effective method, although both MSR options have a well earned reputation.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gusto » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 1:12 pm

In the OE industry its common to use a small frame that holds four trangia burners.

Huge pots can safely sit on top. They are very effective and actually very lightweight.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 8:16 am

The best thing about these small stockpots [ big for bushwalking but small for kitchens] is that they are dirt cheap new and can often be found for $4 or $5 at Op-Shops although my last one did cost me $7- but I was happy to pay that because it had a rounded base and those are more efficient on a camping stove. Just in case I do a winter /snow walk with a big group.
With a larger group [4 to 8 people] it makes sense to have a dedicated snow melter / water boiler and a simmer stove also
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 8:24 pm

Gusto, I hadn't heard of that, I'll look into it, we could likely get something done up without too much trouble.

Moondog, we are generally cooking for 20, using a combo of 5 trangias, and a 6th stove for the main sauce/meat (other trangias are used for rice and veggies) By rounded base do you mean rounded corners? (allows more surface area as I understand?)

Also thinking there should be a way to make a pot holder/windscreen for the soto, also saving dealing with the foil windscreen. looked at the trangia multifuel and man those are $$, and I'm not sure I trust a liquid fuel china special in this case.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment