Nammatj 3GT or Nallo 3GT - better ventilation?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Nammatj 3GT or Nallo 3GT - better ventilation?

Postby Watertank » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 2:28 pm

I am trying to decide between a Nammatj 3GT and a Nallo 3GT - I am aware that the Nammatj is heavier than the Nallo but I have been told that the Nallo GT has better ventilation than the Nammatj due to some design changes - I can't find anything on the web that compares the ventilation of them - is there anyone with first experience of this and choosing between the two? - I am aware that there is a thread about comparing them but there isn't anything in that thread on the ventilation issues.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Nammatj 3GT or Nallo 3GT - better ventilation?

Postby markg » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 5:52 pm

Just type in Hilleberg Nallo etc on the internet. Should find lots not reviews on both.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 6:35 pm

Can you link to any information on the Nallo design changes? In terms of the versions currently displayed on the Hilleberg website I'd say the Nammatj 3GT would have better ventilation because it has large high vents at front and rear while the Nallo 3GT has a high vent on the front but relies on a ground level vent at the rear.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewa » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 7:57 pm

I've got a Nallo 3GT. The rear vent is very low to the ground, and there is not much "flow though" ventilation possible. I have not really had any major issues with ventilation with mine, even in snow, but I expect condensation in winter. It's not been an issue for me outside of this, but again, I expect some condensation.

The biggest difference between the Nallo and Nammatj for me is the amount of space down the foot end of the tent. My Nallo does tend to "collapse" onto my feet in snowfall - the Nammatj would do this less, and for multiday winter snow camping trips, I think I'd rather have a Nammatj, but most of my use is one or two nights, where I'd rather save weight.

The smaller pole on the vestibule end of the Nallo vs the Nammatj would not really make any difference to me.

I still think that the Nallo fits that point of being pretty well perfect for most seasons in Oz, but, if you were after a tent for winter use in snow, I'd choose the Nammatj, coz I hate my feet being damp coz the tent has been pushed in on them.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Dreamer » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 7:33 pm

For what it's worth, I have a Nallo 4 - not GT version - and have found the ventilation to be very good (so far). I keep the rear external low 'flaps' rolled up, the internal windows open (at top) and the external door open at the top (even in wet weather - no rain gets in). The Nallo 4 has been great for family of 3, it's such a nice, cosy space inside - you actually like being in there - unlike any other tent I have had. eg. we play cards inside. The Nallo roof height does of course drop dramatically at the foot end, but the significant weight saving (compared to Nammatj is maybe worth that small trade-off I reckon. I got the Nallo 4 (approx. 3kg packed) instead of Nallo 3GT as we like the extra interior space instead of vestible. However, I do prefer the streamlined Nallo GT shape...the Nallo comes off a little 'fat'. Personal preference...but I often keep our packs inside the interior (with food inside) as small animals can still get into your stuff in the vestibule (making a mess & waking you up).
IMG_4798.jpg
Dreamer
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Postby Dreamer » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 7:42 pm

Nallo 4 rear vent is low but seems to be effective...
IMG_4799.JPG
Dreamer
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Postby Watertank » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 9:59 am

Thanks for the useful replies, I've decided on a Nammatj 3GT. I will report back with my thoughts after some nights in it.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Watertank » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 6:28 pm

I can't offer much information about ventilation as yet but I can say that after two nights in howling winds in the Mt Cole State Park that it is a wonderful tent in a storm - and the extended vestibule is perfect for storing gear. The winds ventilated the tent and everything in their way!
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 7:54 pm

Gee, that was a quick "purchase and use"....!

Yep, the extended vestibule is fantastic, and it will stand up to anything, and won't get buried in snow.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Watertank » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 6:26 am

Yes it was a "quick purchase and use" - once the decision had been made the internet and Australia Post moved things along quickly! I had purchased a Hilleberg Unna on the forum and used it while hiking in Scotland - although I am going down the ultralight path the feeling of being in a bomb proof tent in atrocious weather is lovely. And the winds were pretty atrocious this weekend!
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby benjabimon » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 9:13 am

Hopefully on topic....

Does anyone here have any recommendations for what Hilleberg tent they would recommend for Victorian winter around snow? I would like to get a proper 4 season tent next year, and I have already started saving for a new Hilleberg. Just having trouble deciding between which tent to get from their range. At the moment I am thinking of one of the Kaitum tents, probably with the extended vestiuble, but being Hilleberg there are lots of options to choose from. Nammatj seems like a good choice as well.

If anyone has any advice on this, or any experience with Hillebergs in Victorian snow, I would love to hear what you have to say.
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 9:51 am

Hopefully Sim1oz will jump in here but I was impressed with the Kaitum GT
If you don't mind the extra weight I'd go the 3person rather than the 2-person but otherwise the big 4 person dome or tunnel would be my choice, I saw the Saitaris being used as solo accommodation again last ski season.
http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/red-lab ... itum-3-gt/
Extra room is great for morale in a long blow
http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/black-l ... eron-4-gt/

http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/black-l ... /saitaris/
A lot depends on whether it's for your pack or if you will be using a sled, even a small sled allows for a big margin for luxury.
Solo the 2P will do, two of you get the bigger tent
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby benjabimon » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 11:24 am

Yeah, the plan is to have everything in my pack so I think maybe the Keron is too much for me to be honest. Tarra and Staika look like contenders as well, although my heart says Kaitum 3 at the moment.
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Watertank » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 1:45 pm

I can't provide any snow capability advice as yet but I can say that I did love the extended vestibule - it made it very easy to store and sort out gear - and I can see it will be great in bad weather. I expect that you have seen the reviews of the Nammatj from the USA in snow which show the vestibule floor dug out to provide even more space.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby benjabimon » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 2:04 pm

Yeah, I've seen that is quite common practice in snow. I am looking forward to doing that so I can put my boots on sitting up :) Cooking would be easier too.

I've read that the Nammatj is kind of like their other tunnel tents with the sloping back end. Where it tapers to the ground the inner tent rests on the occupants sleeping bags, sometimes getting them damp/wet. Would be interested to see what you have to say from your own personal experience about this, when you've had more of a chance to use the tent.
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby devoswitch » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 4:21 pm

I have a nammatj 2 and I'm 6'3". I Find the length on it really good. I'm a side sleeper and kind of bend my legs anyhow. Although heavy at around 3kg, I find the extra weight well worth it in terms of comfort and the security of having a shelter I know stands up to the elements.
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment