Importing Delorme Explorer

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Importing Delorme Explorer

Postby Dog-gone » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 7:32 am

I see that I can save hundreds by importing a Delorme Explorer direct from the USA.
Has anyone done this AND connected it to network ?
Dog-gone
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Importing Delorme Explorer

Postby RonK » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 7:11 pm

Dog-gone wrote:I see that I can save hundreds by importing a Delorme Explorer direct from the USA.
Has anyone done this AND connected it to network ?

I strongly suggest you contact Pivotel and enquire if there are any additional fees before ordering.
I bought one of the original devices from an Australian company who registered it in the US. It took a great deal of convincing that I bought the device in good faith before they agreed to waive the fee which as I recall was more than $100.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Dog-gone » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 3:52 pm

Thank so for the heads up on Pivotel.
I emailed them and got this response.
There is a connection fee of $29.95 and you will need to check where the device is from,

If the device is from overseas and has not been used in Australia there is a compliance fee of $170.00 + GST.

If you require any further information please contact Pivotel via reply e-mail or the Customer Care team on 1300 882 448.
You can also visit www.Pivotel.com.au.
Dog-gone
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby photohiker » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 4:24 pm

Ouch!

Mine is the original version and is still connected to the US system. As I understand, that is no longer possible for an Aussie resident.

Do you have friends or relatives overseas in the US? Maybe it could be registered to a US address.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 11:11 am

Yes, just as I thought.

But can you buy cheap enough in the states that it is still worthwhile?
RonK

Postby jjoz58 » Sat 29 Oct, 2016 10:35 pm

photohiker wrote:Ouch!

Mine is the original version and is still connected to the US system. As I understand, that is no longer possible for an Aussie resident.

Do you have friends or relatives overseas in the US? Maybe it could be registered to a US address.

There are ways and means.

First get a shipping address in the states, I use Ship it to.

Then get a virtual credit card that uses your Ship It To address, I use US Unlocked.

Load up your virtual credit card, buy your Inreach register it to the ship it to address, set up a direct debit for monthly payments (make sure you keep enough money on the card) and you now have a cheaper Inreach and a lot cheaper plan.

As far as Inreach USA is concerned I am a US citizen that does a lot of walking in Australia.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment