Thoughts on the sweaty back syndrome

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Thoughts on the sweaty back syndrome

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 10:19 am

Cecile was making tops for the tadpoles and ran out of the particular polar fleece she was using, she had the fron and sleeves cut out but not enough left to make the back
I suggested using some other pattern but she though that would look odd and 4YOs can be very fussy.
I found some Polyester basketball mesh of the same colour and suggested using that; it worked out rather well.
As some-one who has a tendency to sweat heavily when working hard I thought this may have possibilities for bushwalking; to help ventilate the back
We haven't taken it any further so far but I throw it out there for the DIY crowd to think about, I may have seen some cycling shirts made like this in the past
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Thoughts on the sweaty back syndrome

Postby Neo » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 6:53 pm

I love how you make all sorts of gear. A mesh back on a top is a great idea. Maybe keep normal fabric at the top for sun protection then mesh below the seam (thinking business shirt pattern) The fabric should dry really quickly if they are large holes.

My bigger pack has the Osprey airspeed frame and mesh giving a gap which let's a bit of air in back there. I've found tops in 'quickdry' fabrics don't dry until I've stopped for a while, summer or winter.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Neo » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:30 am

Hi MD and Cecile did this experiment get sewn? At the time I spotted a cycling wind shirt that had mesh on the back.
Recently I tried a polypropylene thermal top which actually worked in an overcast 25°C with high humidity, keeping some moisture off the skin and was a little less soaked than my usual tops. Still searchung for some thinner polypro tops to try. I've tried a cheap polyester long sleeve sports top that was pretty terrible.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:59 pm

Only for the tadpole but he grows so fast it has been too small for ages
Cecile did buy me a Nike top that uses the idea, it works reasonable well, would work better if the mesh size was larger, more hole less fabric
If you want some UL polyester mesh to give it a try I can mail you some, enough for the back panel would fit in a standard business envelope
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks for the offer but I'd ruin it. Can sew a button.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 2:17 pm

Like many other life skills it's a learning process and easy enough to get the hang of
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 2:20 pm

good idea.

I occasionally use a cycling shirt or jacket when hiking as they work really well. For both hiking and cycling there is no point having excess material on the back - at least whilst the pack is being worn anyway.

I would have thought that SUL hikers would be all over that like a rash and cutting out the backs of all their hiking shirts.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 2:34 pm

Ok after the compass I might learn the machine. Coolmax boxer shorts modelled off my favourite cotton ones, then a small tarp.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aztec » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 3:23 pm

Neo wrote:Ok after the compass I might learn the machine. Coolmax boxer shorts modelled off my favourite cotton ones, then a small tarp.

I think you'll find a combination Tyvex and Cuben for boxers works well ;)
Cheers,
Richard

“Thoughts come clearly while one walks.” - Thomas Mann

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment