PHD Heads up

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

PHD Heads up

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 6:42 am

With the falling UK pound perhaps some-one here can take advantage of the upcoming sale

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9VRAH ... 1ZdDg/view

A couple of things catch my eye
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: PHD Heads up

Postby Mark F » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 9:24 am

The falling pound is only beneficial while you can buy goods bought by the retailer before the pound's demise.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 11:06 am

Mark F wrote:The falling pound is only beneficial while you can buy goods bought by the retailer before the pound's demise.

I'm nor sure I get what you are trying to say Mark
With the Oz dollar now buying 65 pence anything made in England has become much cheaper than it was 3 months ago when it was only buying 52pence
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 1:35 pm

Very few things are MADE in England - almost all are imported and even if made there, the fabrics are not. So when the retailer buys new stock it is more expensive for them and so it is more expensive to us.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 1:57 pm

Mark, PHD is a UK Company and they make stuff in the UK (afaik)

Even if the components of their manufacturing are imported, the labour, the capital costs and the margins are all in UK pounds.

PHD makes good stuff!
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 2:23 pm

I know PHD make good gear and do make it in the UK, but most materials are imported and many capital costs eg sewing machines etc are likely to be imported as well, so prices will rise but not to the same extent as for fully imported products. I was thinking more about some brands like Thermarest, and even Rab and Montane who largely make in Asia, where the UK has been one of the lowest cost sources for Aussies as VAT comes off and the postage is reasonable.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 4:28 pm

Sure, but this thread is about PHD.

I'm pretty sure they have all the machinery they need at the moment. Industrial sewing machines last for decades. Labour and capital costs etc are a major part of the sale price.

Thermarest, I think the neoairs are made in Cork, Ireland. They are tied to the Euro, so the price in the UK will rise. I'm sure the prices will jump about in the UK until things settle down again.

In the meantime, now is a good time to buy if you need any PHD.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 4:44 pm

No disputing that it is a good time to buy out of the uk especially with end of season sales. I would comment though that as an accountant and a person who has managed an outdoor equipment manufacturer, the moment you start using high quality down the value of materials quickly outweighs labour costs.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment