"Unclogging" an MSR Windpro 1. Or just failure?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

"Unclogging" an MSR Windpro 1. Or just failure?

Postby andrewa » Sun 30 Oct, 2016 7:01 pm

Went up Bogong this weekend. Saturday morning went to start up the stove, and, despite brand new gas cylinder, it wouldn't light.

After some fluffing around I established that the blockage seems to be at the stove end of the tubing. Removing the tube from the gas cylinder attachment allowed gas to come out from the cylinder attachment, so that jet seems to work fine, confirmed by the fact that when the stove and tubing are attached to the cylinder, And the cylinder attachment turned on, I could feel the tubing swell slightly. Further confirmation came when I turned off the stove at the cylinder attachment, and after detaching it, and then removing the tubing from the cylinder attachment Gas was released, so, somewhere from the tubing to the burner, there is an obstruction.

Have had a look on the net, and found info about cleaning the jet where the gas leaves the cylinder, but found nothing about the burner end, and it doesn't look particularly easy to dismantle. I poked a needle down into the burner jet, but this made no difference. Has anyone had this problem, and how did you solve it , as it doesn't seem to come apart very easily in the field!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Re: "Unclogging" an MSR Windpro 1. Or just failure?

Postby Strider » Sun 30 Oct, 2016 9:07 pm

Did you try inverting the canister without the stove lit? The liquid fuel can sometimes give the line a wash out.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 6:45 am

I'm not familiar with the stove but sometimes a wash in white spirit/Shellite helps
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 8:38 am

Iv'e managed to unblock the lines with soaking/blowing.. but it's also their downfall. Lines blocked and unable to free the blockage/ not worth replacing the crimped line. Perhaps dirt or dirty fuel or the feed line liner material starting to degrade. Iv'e still got a couple of blocked windpro, not got around to examining further.

These are a cheaper, similar, alternative (with ultimately the same failure mode):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110884973619 ... 31571&cp=1
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewa » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 9:34 am

Yeah, I tried inverting the canister. I'll get some long this wire and poke it up the line today and have a 10 minute fiddle around, but it sounds like Nut's eBay suggestion will be the outcome. Nut's, do you know whether you can get a version like the Windpro 2 on eBay, that allows canister inversion?
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 12:02 pm

image.jpeg

Have now managed to pull it to bits :lol: The blockage is somewhere in the brass preheating coil.

The tube from the cylinder to the burner assembly is rubber, and fine. It has a loose separate core of twisted cable. I would have thought that this just sat in there, but, having removed the rubber tubing, the twisted core cable doesn't seem to be able to be removed from the brass preheating tube....and that's where the blockage seems to be.

?Any ideas
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 2:56 pm

The stove i linked can be inverted. I'm not sure if it is advertised as such but it does work. These are what we replaced the windpro with, not a big burner head but they do throw some sideways to the flame. And recently started replacing those with another locally sold canister stove.

I'd imagine whatever has managed to get through the wire line is either stuck in the wire at the very start or at that right angle bend under the burner head. Unless it could be loosened from the hole you may need to cut? and braze?

I cant imagine that the wire needs to go into the line/tube far, it's just to keep the open shape of the feed line/hose? Interesting. I wonder how and where (and why) its attached.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 3:05 pm

I assume you've tried pliers etc?
Edge friction? Perhaps the wire is inserted and then the tube bent which would make it hard to put back in once moved
Do you have access to high pressure air? An old tyre valve perhaps>?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby oldpiscator » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 3:38 pm

Looks like it needs a qualified cardiac surgeon not a GP :lol:
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 3:50 pm

It must be a known and regular problem if a replacement part is a standard spare

http://www.barrabes.world/msr-windpro-f ... oCkvPw_wcB
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 4:00 pm

Haha, but for that price.. does it come with a hammer for the canister end?
Prescribe asprin, come back in the morning? :)
I have a box of gear just waiting for someone dedicated to show the easy way. Time heals all.
Maybe an acidic solution or other strong cleaner bath CLR?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 4:45 pm

Sometimes strong heat will burn out the clogging material
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 5:07 pm

oldpiscator wrote:Looks like it needs a qualified cardiac surgeon not a GP :lol:

"Jack of all trades, master of none". Why else would I be trying to fix a stove?!

As I've come to the sad conclusion that it probably can't be fixed, I will apply some heat. I have tried pliers. I can solder, but I presume that if I cut the brass tube off the burner, to try to clear it from that end, I would need to braze it rather than solder it?

Anyway, currently investigating the "cardiac surgeon" approach of replacing it rather than fixing it ($ vs time!)

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 5:09 pm

In MSR and other liquid fuel stoves that twisted wire is meant to be pulled out and pushed back in to clear blockages in the fuel hose and pre-heat tube. Not sure if the windpro is different but I wouldn't be surprised if it could be used in a similar way. Maybe you can get some ideas here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1WSGFBq-FI
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 5:11 pm

undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 5:22 pm

I followed Moondogs thought bubble earlier and they do make a Windpro line,
it needed similar cryptic search logic (the advertising branch used):

http://www.productcompareuk.co.uk/Produ ... embly.html

MSR do have better quality fittings/ stronger/heavier legs than the bulin stoves, which I didn't trust with bigger pots.

PS. How hard was it to get the line off at the crimped end, the wire may be fixed (somehow) to prevent the line being pulled apart?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 6:01 pm

Nuts, I'm not sure what you mean by "how hard is it to get the line off at the crimped end" - I would take that to mean removing the rubber tubing from the stove end of the line, which is held by a crimp. I've already done this, as per picture.

Undercling Mike, thanks. That would make sense. Maybe the fact that I can't get the twisted wire out is the cause of the obstruction! I'll watch the video

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 6:10 pm

Undercling Mike - interesting video. Didn't realise that the Simmerlite was the same stove burner head. It certainly looks like the wire should be able to be removed.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 01 Nov, 2016 8:10 am

Moondog55 wrote:It must be a known and regular problem if a replacement part is a standard spare

http://www.barrabes.world/msr-windpro-f ... oCkvPw_wcB

Just to add (from conversation) that this Is the windpro replacement hose, just the wrong pic. They are a regular item & in stock at that price.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment