One person tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: One person tent

Postby Scottyk » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 9:11 pm

LachlanB wrote:
Scottyk wrote:What's the hub on the poles about? I don't think my Goondie has one

I think it's a new 'feature' that One Planet has added. I think the older ones have a plastic carabiner that clips around the two main poles to keep them together and connect them to the tent inner? One person I know who has a newer Goondie and an older one was grumbling about them being added and reckons they're purely cosmetic.

It's just a small piece of plastic with two holes in it through which each of the two poles go at the point where they crossover right at the apex of the tent.
FWIW, one of these: http://www.dacpole.com/html/swivelhub_new.htm (the PC Swivel).

IMO, it was a major pain, as you were left waving the poles around when you tried to pitch the tent as the two poles were stuck together, and it was harder to pack than two separate poles. Dunno what the benefit was?

Note the past tense. The hub on my Goodie broke on about the fourth time I used it, with one of the poles snapping out of its plastic hole. I ended up filing the other pole free of the hub. Thankfully, the pole was fine, but it was irritating to have happen on an otherwise seemingly good quality tent.

I've got the one with plastic clip and it works fine
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Re: One person tent

Postby Tim-Australian Hiker » Mon 14 Nov, 2016 5:50 pm

I agree with PeteW. My wife and I own a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 and love it. I'm also in the market over the next 12 moths for a new one person tent and the Copper Spur UL1 will definitely be in the mix. It's easy to assemble, versatile and freestanding.
Tim-Australian Hiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Australian Hiker
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Previous

Return to Equipment