Exped lightning 45 as carry-on

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Exped lightning 45 as carry-on

Postby kyubi » Mon 07 Nov, 2016 9:30 am

Hey guys and girls,

Just a quick question, does anyone have experience taking backpacks as airline carry-on? I'm looking at an Exped lightning 45 specifically and wondering if it would meet with size restrictions. It's unlikely to be fully stuffed with gear.

Cheers, Billy

*edit* I've noticed it has a removable aluminium stay, would this prevent me from taking it on a flight? If removed it seems it would definitely be within size limits but potentially not very comfortable to carry..
kyubi
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Exped lightning 45 as carry-on

Postby hikingoz » Mon 07 Nov, 2016 10:05 am

Hi Billy,

I've taken a 65 litre backpack as carry on. It wasn't over weight and i just tightened up the straps to make it appear smaller. Can't guarantee that it works every time.
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Equipment