OLT Platform hooks or anchors?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

OLT Platform hooks or anchors?

Postby weeds » Mon 14 Nov, 2016 6:03 pm

Hi

Just finalizing the small things we need for our trek along the overland.

I went and brought some of these ages ago, like 18 months ago but from memory (cannot find the threads using my iPhone) they won't work on the OLT platforms as the timber is thicker.

Does anybody know the thickness of the timber on the overland track tent platforms? Long shot I know but maybe somebody has taken notice. I have the chance to get some custom anchor/hook thingy's made like the above.

I know I could always buy cup hooks like everybody else but hey that would be too simple.

I have the .dxf file of a larger one but cannot open it to confirm the size so I will get the laser cutter to tell me how much bigger telegram custom hook is.

Oh if anybody wants a copy of the file shoot me a pm with an email address
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: OLT Platform hooks or anchors?

Postby weeds » Mon 14 Nov, 2016 6:17 pm

The off the shelf ones measure up to maybe accept 1 1/4" 30mm thick plank
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Mon 14 Nov, 2016 6:27 pm

Make them "T" shaped and about 100m long and that will be heaps

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Nuts » Tue 15 Nov, 2016 8:24 pm

Yeah, they need to be 15-20mm longer. Consider just using the lower hook part..? like a W shape with a hole in it.. yes, the 'W anchor' !!
sigh.. Iv'e modified some of the ones pictured above in this way.

Dangle them down between boards and slide up to the nearest joist (450mm). If the hole is big enough, when not on platforms, pegs can go through hole or double peg each side of the 'W'. Too long in the OEM design and they will just slide along boards anyway.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby shortstep » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 10:58 am

The tie downs on platforms on the OLT are now being replaced by chains. Bert Nichols & Kia Ora sites have been completed with the chains and the platforms further north are due to be changed over this summer. Much easier to use than the wire setup and makes tents a lot more tighter.
shortstep
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Strider » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 7:47 pm

shortstep wrote:The tie downs on platforms on the OLT are now being replaced by chains. Bert Nichols & Kia Ora sites have been completed with the chains and the platforms further north are due to be changed over this summer. Much easier to use than the wire setup and makes tents a lot more tighter.

Narcissus has them too. Great setup

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby weeds » Fri 23 Dec, 2016 5:28 pm

Ended up taking 19mm cup hooks, used these when there was a nail in a handy spot.

The wire tie downs are a pain...the chains are a much better idea. I found both the wire and chains to never line up with the tent. Found the nails worked best for our tent with a couple of cup hooks
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment