Footware System for Wet Terrain

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Footware System for Wet Terrain

Postby jickham » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 11:00 am

Hey guys,

It has been a couple of years since I've posted here, but, I'm getting back into some overnight hiking in February by taking on the Dusky Track in New Zealand.

Everything I have read suggests that there is mud, rain, water, more mud, a little more rain and if I'm really lucky a couple of swamps to wash the mud off.. I mean a coupe of rivers to wash the swamp off... well, you see where I'm going... it's a wet trail :D :D

Currently I'm using a pair of Scarpa boots which have done me well, but, I'm considering changing my foot ware system to something that deals with wet terrain a little better. I'm wondering what material in socks other people have used in combination with foot ware (anything from trail shoes to boots) to deal with constantly walking through wet terrain. My boots offer great support and are comfortable, but, take damn forever to dry, and if I'm dealing with a cold and humid environment I'm thinking I might go with a smaller trail shoe and just embrace the wet.

Does anyone have experience with bamboo material? Mostly only read positive reviews and they are meant to be comfortable, but, not too sure how quick drying they are.
jickham
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Footware System for Wet Terrain

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 6:34 pm

Bamboo cloth is just rayon with better marketing. As for quick drying, I suspect it should be, but I have not tried it.

I've had decent luck with my doc martin combs in nylon. But I have not done heaps of days in a row with them wet, I've had up to a week with them wet at work, but its a little different when you have a shower and dry socks every night. I think the main thing is figuring out your foot care overnight to give the skin time to recover.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby andrewa » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 6:45 pm

NRS hydroskin socks - light neoprene socks. Very warm. Better IMHO than Seal skinz

Plus gaiters to stop mud getting into boots....

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby nq111 » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 7:55 pm

Gadgetgeek wrote:Bamboo cloth is just rayon with better marketing. As for quick drying, I suspect it should be, but I have not tried it.

+1
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby nq111 » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 8:00 pm

andrewa wrote:NRS hydroskin socks - light neoprene socks. Very warm. Better IMHO than Seal skinz

+1 as well - such good advice in this place! :D

However you would probably be surprised how warm good thick wool socks are in the wet stuff. I would personally take a pair of both, and use the NRS for days of expected pretty much constant wading, and the wool for anything less (including days of lots of water crossings and intermittent boggy patches).

Boots would be great - if anyone manufactured a decent, light boot that drained well. They don't seem to exist, so I would opt for a good drainable runner. Work on the sock system and they will deliver all the warmth you need. And definitely a good high gaiter to keep the muck out.
nq111

Postby andrewa » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 8:12 pm

"A decent lightweight boot that drains well" ......

Most of my bushwalking/ skiing trips are weekends, but my longer trips to wilderness areas are backcountry NZ fly fishing, which really sorts out boot "longevity".

Over the years, I've often worn out a pair of boots over 10 days - abrasion from the rocks whilst wading wears out the seams, or the soles start to fall off. Whilst I've made the most out of the warrantee period on boots, being offered replacements most years, I've normally declined the replacement, as the first version didn't last the trip, and asked for my money back.

The ones that have lasted longest have been the Simm's "rip raps" - light and drain well, with a good grippy sole. I'd happily use them for bushwalking boots.....

https://www.simmsfishing.com/riprap-shoe.html

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby jickham » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 1:21 am

nq111 wrote:
andrewa wrote:NRS hydroskin socks - light neoprene socks. Very warm. Better IMHO than Seal skinz

+1 as well - such good advice in this place! :D

However you would probably be surprised how warm good thick wool socks are in the wet stuff. I would personally take a pair of both, and use the NRS for days of expected pretty much constant wading, and the wool for anything less (including days of lots of water crossings and intermittent boggy patches).

Boots would be great - if anyone manufactured a decent, light boot that drained well. They don't seem to exist, so I would opt for a good drainable runner. Work on the sock system and they will deliver all the warmth you need. And definitely a good high gaiter to keep the muck out.

I was going to add at the bottom 'gaiters are an obvious must' haha. No chance in hell I'd do swamp wading without them.
jickham
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 6:22 pm

andrewa wrote:"A decent lightweight boot that drains well" .....

The ones that have lasted longest have been the Simm's "rip raps" - light and drain well, with a good grippy sole. I'd happily use them for bushwalking boots.....

https://www.simmsfishing.com/riprap-shoe.html

A

Andrew perhaps we should be doing this on the flylife forum where I go under the the nick of "dctrout" but I am curious to know how you have found the streamtread sole as my last couple of pairs of simms wading boots had a different vibram sole and they
wear out before the boot does.I am currently using g3 guide boots and the rest of the boot is almost like new.The rip raps look good with a serious reduction in weight.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 6:48 pm

might even look at those simms for my next pair of canoe shoes.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnrs » Thu 24 Nov, 2016 10:53 am

Hi Jickham
Hard to find a boot for these conditions,
I like single skin leather,
something light and simple like a Redback Alpine.
Being unlined it does not soak up so much moisture, breathes well, dries quickly,
doesn't smell or cook your feet.
but you need a rubber Vibram sole
rather than polyrurethane which is a bit slippery on damp rock.
Rossi have something too.
For similar reasons use with light office type wool socks, say Holeproof Heroes, maybe two pairs
and good gaiters.

You wont find something like this amongst the highly featured world brand walking boots
which seem to be designed around cold rather than damp.

Other than that a some kind of cross trainer.........
John
johnrs

Region: New South Wales

Postby Scottyk » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 12:50 pm

If the track is as wet as you explain then you'll have wet feet no matter what you choose. It then becomes a matter of being comfortable even when your feet are wet.
The most important thing is going to be how well the foot wear fits you. If you have any movement in the boot or shoe you will quickly get blisters when your skin gets soft in wet socks.
I would wear:
- Well worn in comfortable boots
- Good wool socks, not too thick and keep dry ones for camp
- Good gaiters, nice and high and tested in mud to make sure they don't shift around or fall down
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Postby Eljimberino » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 1:17 pm

Sandals.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Scottyk » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 1:48 pm

Eljimberino wrote:Sandals.

Might be a bit cold??
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Postby Eljimberino » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 1:56 pm

Do you take camp sandals/thongs?
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby nq111 » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 6:53 pm

Eljimberino wrote:Sandals.

Sandals are terrible in my experience as all the mud and muck gets in under your foot and you can't walk properly. At least need a mesh to filter so only some fine muck gets in.

Those Simms look alright, otherwise a good synthetic trail runner. Or a jungle boot.
nq111

Postby Maaxxx » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 9:28 pm

Just on bamboo socks. I've had 2 pairs. In one pair, (from Ray's) my toes went through the ends of the socks within the first few wears. The second pair (a present) seems more durable but, in both cases, they take an absolute age to dry. They're certainly very comfortable to wear but I wouldn't think of taking them hiking.
Maaxxx
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jickham » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 2:35 am

I've bought a pair of the NRS Socks, will try them out and let you know. As for shoes, I've looked at a few low cut shoes with Vibram Soles, I have weird feet and it seems I have to try around 500 pairs of shoes before I find ones that fit, but, I'll test them out with my boots for the time being. I read up more on bamboo and they are out, at least for day hiking, as camp socks they could be good, but, as Maaxxx they seem to be very difficult to dry and fall apart easy.
jickham
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mark F » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 8:58 am

Non-waterproof runners with dirty girl gaiters to keep the mud out. Worked well on the South Coast Track.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnw » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 10:00 am

Mark F wrote:Non-waterproof runners with dirty girl gaiters to keep the mud out. Worked well on the South Coast Track.

I was looking at those dirty girl gaiters a couple of weeks ago. There are times that I think I would find them useful but seem very expensive for what they are.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment