ski jacket vs. hiking jacket

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

ski jacket vs. hiking jacket

Postby tekkado » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 8:19 am

HI Guys,
Im going to the snow in Japan soon and in need of a jacket for the slopes. I was planning on spending <$300 on a jacket for the snow but since it'll only be used on this trip i figure why not spend the money on a good jacket that I can take with me but also use for hiking?
I understand the big differences between the two styles of jackets but does anyone know of a suitable jacket that could work for both environments and fit my budget?
Thanks. :D
tekkado
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: ski jacket vs. hiking jacket

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 10:08 am

Depends on your needs over here but I'd ask this question over at Ski.Com as the members there have plenty of experience in Japan. That said I believe it is mainly dry cold and with the proper layering a shell should work fine, it may however need to be a size larger to accommodate that extra insulation and the ski suits from Korea are so good for the price I'd just buy a one-time suit
The Korean ones should be on ebay but all I could find was stuff from China and personal experience tells me anything from China will have very short arms
Buy this one direct from Korea and it is half the price and much cheaper postage as well

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2016-South-p ... 2052416311
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 10:14 am

I used my Marmot shell for the Queenstown ski trip in June, paired with fleece and layers to suit. Worked fine. Fact is, as long as it keeps you warm, dry and not physically restrictive, there's no reason why one can't dress this way. A big difference is the material. For bush walks, we tend to go for lightweight and thin shells. For skiing, thin materials don't do well if one crashes and scrap on gears and rocks. But if one is competent, fall risks are low.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby rurik » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 10:22 am

I use one of theses for winter camping and skiing https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens- ... tionId=YH4

In summer I just take the liner with me and a light weight shell as rain protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 12:49 pm

as far as cut goes, you'll want something that has a bit more coverage so that the bottom doesn't come up too far when you lift your arms, a bomber-jacket level waist line will be letting a lot of cold air in. You don't need full parka length, but something that has some room to it. potentially anything biased to provide coverage when sitting will also be of an advantage on the trail. I've noticed that a lot of walking jackets are more of a trim cut, where as good ski gear provides better coverage at a variety of positions.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 1:20 pm

For our Australian conditions, these are more than functional. A lot of the ski jackets are designed for the European and Nth American conditions where temp can stay well below freezing. As such, they are heavy and deeply insulated. Wonderfully warm for those conditions but excessive for our local ski fields.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment