Hydrogen portable fuel cells

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hydrogen portable fuel cells

Postby Dreamseason » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 7:53 am

Hi All, looking to see if anyone has personally used any of the new fuel cell chargers i.e. Brunton Hydrogen Reactor Portable Fuel Cell, myFC PowerTrekk Fuel Cell Charger, Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies.
I have a Goal 0 panel which I had used on 2 trips first trip I come to the conclusion it was useless but had to lug it around for a second go to make shore, and now it sites in my electrical tub to bug me very time I go to get out a head touch or GPS ect.
I have been using power packs which work fine but as my hiking team grow older (Partner + 5 kids ) and are pushing for further longer trips 6+ days the power packs just aren't cutting it.
Main charging requirements 2 x head torch USB recharge, 5x Head torch AAA, GPS AA, 2x i phones,
Any reviews or other suggestions would be a great help.
Dreamseason
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Hydrogen portable fuel cells

Postby RonK » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 10:50 am

I have not used a fuel cell, so can't really comment except to say that experience tells me to avoid new technology until it's proven.

What has come to my notice of late is the emergence of portable wind turbines. There is nothing new about the technology used so they are likely to be reliable.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Hydrogen portable fuel cells

Postby Dreamseason » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 11:33 am

Thats why I'd like to hear someone thats had some hand on, there are heaps of mixed reviews on line seems they aren't real good at charging high amp devices people are either rating them or hating them! will check out wind.
Dreamseason
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment