Take out spring steel frame from backpack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Take out spring steel frame from backpack

Postby shurik » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 10:38 am

Hi, I'm about to purchase a backpack for hiking & bike riding. It comes with a spring steel frame and mesh. My options so far are one of these bags:
Deuter Cross Air 20 Backpack
Osprey syncro 10 (or 15)
Deuter Race exp air

They are all under 20L and come with that mash/frame, which I love. But, I also travel a lot and would want to pack the backpack small and put in my other bag, take out on smaller walks. To do that, I'll need to take out the frame. I've done it before on some other bags, but lately noticed that the new bags are a little more tricky. Nobody at the stores (I went to about 10) knows anything about it.

So, I was hoping that some of you have done this before. Or, can give me some feedback on whether or not this can/should be done.

example

Thanks!
shurik
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Take out spring steel frame from backpack

Postby Nerdtrails » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 9:39 am

I have not seen the Deuter packs but every airmesh Ospray I have seen it's next to impossible to remove the stays and putting them back in would be even harder.
Unfortunately off the top of my head I can only think of the ZPacks hiking packs that have a mesh back and removable stays but the size might not be suitable for bike riding and travel (and they are $$).
http://www.zpacks.com
Nerdtrails
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Take out spring steel frame from backpack

Postby shurik » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks mate. Yeah Zpacks are way too big.
I found a way to take out (and put back) the metal frame from some Deuter bags, the backing is stitched in though.
shurik
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment