Day Pack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Day Pack

Postby MrFaulty » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi, I am looking to replace my fairydown day pack which has served me well fo 20 years but is getting a bit thin. I was looking at a one planet day pacm (or day and a half pack), either the Zipless or the Traverse.

Firstly, does anyone have any experience with either of these? are these still made in Australia? any other suggestions - I really prefer quality and Australian made.

I mostly do small canyons but think the larger one would be better to allow a bit more gear and eliminate my old macpac 85 litre for overnbight walks

Cheers
Ben
MrFaulty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Day Pack

Postby Montaine » Thu 08 Dec, 2016 11:38 pm

I've always been pretty happy with the Macpac pursuit 40. I bought a few years ago for motorbike touring in Thailand because I wanted something that could hold from between about a couple of weeks worth of travelling stuff, or a days worth of walking stuff. For an alpine pack it's always been surprisingly comfortable for a day's walking, despite the comparitively thin harness. Being macpac it's (still) pretty durable, however the oneplanet traverse probably outdoes is in this, and I'm guessing also in terms of comfort, which may make it worth the extra 80 bucks or so..
Montaine
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Day Pack

Postby MrFaulty » Fri 09 Dec, 2016 2:19 pm

Thanks, it looks good but I suspect nowhere near as waterproof. I am hoping the one plante is similar in quality to my old fairy down - when it was newer, I could throw it off a waterfall and it would remian dry inside for the entire canyon trip.
MrFaulty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment