Rays Brand tents

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Rays Brand tents

Postby Rlgm12 » Thu 08 Dec, 2016 9:22 pm

Thoughts on the Rays Outdoors tent range?

The 2 man.
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/Product/ ... son/362882

The 1 man.
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/Product/ ... son/362881

The 3 man.
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/Product/ ... son/362884

Thoughts on the material, poles and design?

I'm considering buying one of these, if you've got other options I'd love to hear them.

Thanks
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Rays Brand tents

Postby Strider » Thu 08 Dec, 2016 9:40 pm

Personally I wouldn't put much faith in them. Have a look at Naturehike if you're after a cheap tent.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Fri 09 Dec, 2016 9:27 am

They are all quite heavy. The 3 person would break your back at 3.85kg.

Watch out with 1 person tents they are generally very squeezy. Most 2 person tents seem to be too small for 2 people as well but are great for 1.

I haven't used one and have no affiliation with Wildearth but this looks fairly good at 2.2kg and would save you 500 grams over the Rays tent and has a higher water head rating. http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/vango-b ... TE-BA200-L
I do use the F10 Helium 2 person by Vango and it's very good and well made but quite a lot dearer at about $400.00 at the moment.

I'd suggest choose carefully, don't scrimp get quality. My first tent weighed 2.8kg worked well but now the F10 weighs half that. Consider if you want 3 season or 4 season as well.
The which tent and why question always seems to open a minefield when asked :lol:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 10 Dec, 2016 11:41 pm

My Old tent , my light weight 3 season tent was from RAYS. It got used a lot , a hell of a lot . I still use it as a 'night before the hike car camping tent' sometimes.
It is/was a two person tent but really was good for one large unit such as I and all gear also placed inside the tent.
If you get a 4 seasons tent then you are good to go all year round in all weather incl. snow.
Spending money on a good tent is a wise investment. I use a 4 seasons wilderness experience tent now( Not from RAYS). It has survived snow storms, blizzards, high winds , hail , endless rain and heat. It is a big 2 person tent which fits me and my gear in quite nicely. It could accommodate two people if it had to.
If the weather turns to fertilizer you need a tent you can sit it out in, one that you can get dressed in and keep everything dry in. If need be you should be able to cook in the awning/vestibule.
Make sure the tent has two doors.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 9:55 am

They are quite well made and appear to be reasonable stable and strong but as already stated a little clunky and very heavy
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 3:48 pm

the general rule for tents is Cheap, Durable, and Light, pick two. (if you are lucky). without being able to see one in store, (they closed my local one) I can't give much of an opinion, although this is the direction they are going to separate themselves from BCF, so the Rays stuff should be more trekking oriented with BCF being 4X4.

As for those in specific, I'm a bit unsure about the dimensions, the two man seems like you get less than 70cm of width per person, but over 3m of length. the 3 man, if it is the floor dimensions should be comfy, but if its taken up with vestibule, might be really squishy. the 1 man seems a reasonable size. Value-wise, you can get less tent at that price, but its a hard bracket to gauge, the next sort of zone is the 400$ range, then the 600$. A bit on the heavy side, but so are a lot of tents in that range, and many have less design and durability.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 8:13 pm

Wilderness Experience 4 season tents come in ultra light and durable. I went for durable.It is not ultra light.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rlgm12 » Tue 13 Dec, 2016 1:42 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Wilderness Experience 4 season tents come in ultra light and durable. I went for durable.It is not ultra light.

Which one did you get
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 13 Dec, 2016 1:58 pm

I went for the tough model, I forget the exact name of the model of the 4 seasons tent I bought and not the ultra light one . It weighs a bit but it is really strong and weather proof and it is quite roomy for a 2 man tent.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CameronLarcombe » Fri 23 Dec, 2016 12:53 pm

My $12 Kmart tent has done me good the last 5 years with over 400nights and 700kms. I have brought a (also cheap) fly from bcf to keep things waterproof but the total packed wheight is still under 2kgs. Honestly the best tent ever, well done Kmart.
CameronLarcombe
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Franco » Fri 23 Dec, 2016 1:14 pm

CameronLarcombe wrote:My $12 Kmart tent has done me good the last 5 years with over 400nights and 700kms. I have brought a (also cheap) fly from bcf to keep things waterproof but the total packed wheight is still under 2kgs. Honestly the best tent ever, well done Kmart.

Do you have any photos of your tent?
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 8:39 pm

Bogong equipment sell a 2-3 man tent with a one pole design made by Wilderness E. That looks tempting.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rlgm12 » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 8:16 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Bogong equipment sell a 2-3 man tent with a one pole design made by Wilderness E. That looks tempting.

Do you speak of the I-Shadow?
That beauty was on sale for $400.
It does look solid, bit heavy for one person?
With a massive footprint- might be hard to pitch in tight spots.
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Hisham » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 9:34 am

I got the 3 person 3.85kgs cos it was on sale for $100. Appears to be well made and sturdy, only used it a handful of times and not hiking.

Heaps of room for two plus the big front vestibule. It was raining on one occasion and we were happy to chill in there looking out the two doors. But I wouldn't think it would do well in a snow dump as the poles are on the outside and would serve to hold the snow on the top.
Hisham
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 9:54 am

My Plateau has external poles and it really has no effect in that regard.
In fact the external poles can be used to great advantage for snow camping, you take an extra fly, cut to suit the tent and get a triple skin.
I'd have bought one for $100- too if I had seen it
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jdeks » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 10:28 pm

If it's anything like my Rays down jacket, I wouldn't expect much. Think cut-price Kathmandu.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 02 Jan, 2017 3:29 pm

I purchased a down sleeveless down jacket from "Rays" which was on special. It is warm but not anything special. It does the job.I am looking at buying a light 3 season tent . Bogong Equipment seems to be my first choice for retail outlet outdoor gear these days.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment