MSR whisperlite fuel leak

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

MSR whisperlite fuel leak

Postby AgingHiker » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 11:05 am

I have an old msr whisperlite stove. On a recent walk down Hinchinbrook Island it developed a fuel leak which I cannot readily fix. The fuel appears to be leaking at the junction of line and pump. Therefore around the fuel line insert. I can see no obvious damage and from memory there is no O-ring here; just the black plastic sleeve which doesn't seem to be a replaceable part. Anyone have any ideas?
AgingHiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: MSR whisperlite fuel leak

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 2:31 pm

There should be a small o-ring in there, both it and the bushing are included in the expedition service kit.

There is an exploded pic in the manual http://d1l67pfsx3wblg.cloudfront.net/pdf/msr_whisperlite_expedition_service_kit_manual.pdf
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnk1 » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 3:57 pm

Gadgetgeek is spot on.

There is an o ring in there and I've tried uploading a photo to show you but it's not working for some reason.

I'll keep trying so you can see what I mean.

JK
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby AgingHiker » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 4:36 pm

Hey thank you so much. Thought it was a lost cause. Love my MSR. That'll teach me to disregard the manual. Is the bushing relatively easy to remove?
AgingHiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby AgingHiker » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 4:42 pm

Just answered my own question. Dead easy. Thanks again.
AgingHiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby benjabimon » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 9:35 am

I had a similar problem with my Whisperlite, the fuel control valve was leaking. All I had to do was take it apart, lube the o-rings around the value, and the issue was solved. Did the rest of the pump while I had everything out, and now it is back to normal. Love how easy it is to maintain these things :)
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment