How long does propane last?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

How long does propane last?

Postby ausvegguykk » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 6:28 pm

So i am planning a tip in january, i have purchased a bunch of stuff, including a very compact propane stove

i was wondering how long a 1 pound propane cylinder is likely to last, it would mainly be used for cooking rice

would one of these last for a 7 day trip? how much fuel would it spend to cook some rice for 10 minute?

i considered purchasing a butane adapter as the butane cartridges seem to be much much cheaper, but they are only avalible from china, and at this point i think it would take too long to arrive

cheers
ausvegguykk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: How long does propane last?

Postby undercling-mike » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 6:33 pm

Should easily last the trip, even with fairly liberal use. More than likely a 220g canister would also be fine but better to start with plenty and dial it in as you gain experience.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Scottyk » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 6:32 am

Do some test boiling rice etc with a set of scales and work it out. I know that's not an answer but every set up is different so it's hard to say how much you will use.
My initial thoughts are that one pound is a lot of gas for a week, my set up would use less than that in a week but I don't boil rice.
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Postby Strider » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 7:11 am

Those steel 1lb propane cylinders are very heavy, I certainly wouldn't want to be carrying one for a week. Regardless, perhaps consider using instant rice sachets rather than cooking from scratch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby scoha » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 3:21 pm

I budget on 50g butane per day which is a bit more than necessary but you always want another cup of tea right! I pre-cook and dehydrate rice - then just add hot water to get it back - works an absolute treat and doesnt use hardly any fuel at all.
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 8:21 pm

Propane has more available heat in it than butane, so it will last longer. Butane also is not as efficient in a stove designed for propane, so you may take more of a loss than is cost effective by trying to run butane through a propane stove. That said, butane in a propane burner, not all that dangerous... in most cases. the other way around though could be very bad. Without careful research and some thought, I'd stick to approved fuels for a stove.

All that said, I'd guess you'd have enough with a single can of fuel, but unless you do some testing, I'd have at least some sort of a backup plan in case you can't cook your rice. If its only for a week, you won't starve to death.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment