Boots - Salomon Quest 4DII GTX

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Boots - Salomon Quest 4DII GTX

Postby Tassie Tiger » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 1:46 pm

Whilst cleaning my budget boots of 5 years standing today I discovered the connection between the sole and the upper on the left boot under the toes no longer exists :(

So google got a good work out this morning and I found this fantastic article/review which might be of interest to others.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Boots-Reviews?full_site=yes

While it will require your indulgence to read the full review it is well worthwhile IMHO and very recent, November 2016. The Buying Guide is also very useful.

Bottom line - I need new boots = editors choice = Salomon Quest 4DII GTX

Does anyone have a pair? Or the other two of the top three picks by the editor?

Your feedback, comments please.

Cheers
Wayne
"There is more to Life than Increasing its Speed" (Ghandi)
Tassie Tiger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Boots - Salomon Quest 4DII GTX

Postby Mark F » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 2:41 pm

I use Salomon shoes and find them wonderful but choosing a shoe/boot on the basis of a review without seriously trying them on is a recipe for disaster.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Tassie Tiger » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 2:50 pm

Mark F wrote:I use Salomon shoes and find them wonderful but choosing a shoe/boot on the basis of a review without seriously trying them on is a recipe for disaster.

Yep couldn't agree more and will be doing just that. However, feed back on performance etc particularly from users in Oz gives me some insight to the right questions to ask of the aspiring sales person. Cheers
Tassie Tiger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wayno » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 4:28 pm

i've got the Cosmics, same boot, all nylon uppers. great boot, supportive and flexible. rubber lasts well. good tread... ideally you need to try them on, salomons are on the narrow size, i have to size up half a size and wear thin socks only to fit them, being gore tex they can get hot in warm weather
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby mudophile » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 12:58 pm

I bought these boots a few months ago and recently did a one nighter in the Prom. maybe 20-25km round trip. No complaints and was very happy as it performed as per the US gear review sites. Will be taking them to do the WAT in a few months. See how that goes.
If you're in Vic, Paddy and Bogong have both the original and 4dII when I was looking and they definitely felt different on.
mudophile
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 5:54 pm

I've got the Quest 4D from about 5 years ago and they're fantastic, they fit perfectly. Some people don't like the fit of Salomons but I can only recommend them.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby simonm » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 6:25 pm

I am another Salomon fan though I don't have the Quest 4D.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby Tassie Tiger » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 6:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback people. Went into Mountain Designs here in Hobart yesterday. Unfortunately they did not have the boot in stock. However, while I have been researching on the net I came across another Salomon "model" Evasion Mid GTX which also got some good reviews. Coincidently Mountain Designs had these in stock at $100 off RRP. Started with a size 10 my normal shoe size ended up buying a size 11. Very wearable and comfortable straight out of the box. Just back from their second braking walk of about 5 ks. No probs and very comfortable good firm fit with a thick pair of merino socks. If I get 5 years out them the $189.95 will have been well worth it.
Attachments
IMAG0589.jpg
Tassie Tiger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gisborne612 » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi
I have a slightly wider foot and hate boots that feel claustrophobic.
I did some research and ended up purchasing a pair of Salomon Quest for just over $200 on the net.
They were great straight out of the box.
I walk about 6 km a day on concrete and find them excellent.
IMO one of the best boots on the market especially for the price.
gisborne612
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment