Thermarest Valve

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Thermarest Valve

Postby norts » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 9:05 am

I need to replace the valve in my thermarest. Has anyone had any experience in doing it. Any tips or if it was a success would be appreciated.

I melted the valve in my prolite 4

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby tasadam » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:32 am

Are they an Australian manufacturer? Might be better to send it back to the factory? Maybe try a google.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Prolite Repairs

Postby corvus » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 5:17 pm

You should check out their "Lifetime Limited Warranty" the Cascade agent in Aus is Spelean P/L [email protected] ph 61-2-9966-9800
The US ph for international warranty enquiries is (206) 505-9500
corvus
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Thermarest

Postby norts » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 7:08 am

I cant claim it on warranty, I had it near my slow combustion stove drying it out after the w/e and it fell forward and the valve was resting on the fire box door.
I spoke to Paddy Pallin and they will have some replacement valves in the next few weeks.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crockle » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:11 am

Has anyone had any experience in doing it. Any tips or if it was a success would be appreciated.

hi norts, yes I've done it - a couple of years back. Not very stressful - pretty easy in fact!

If you're getting the 'official' Thermarest replacement pack (which you pretty much need to obtain the fresh valve), then no sweat, the process is just about dummy-proof.

Only hassle I had was changing a damaged *metal* valve for the standard replacement *plastic* valve in the repair pack.
Metal? - Yeah, it was an *old* mattress. :shock:

Even that was just an issue with the valves "looking different sizes", but actually working fine.

ProLites (like you have) of course are much too new to have anything other than a plastic valve

The 'Hot Bond' adhesive that comes in the valve replacement pack can, I believe, be substituted for SeamSeal, AquaSeal or even bicycle repair glue.

These products BTW, are the ones to use when repairing small pinprick holes in open-cell mattresses

So, in short, when Paddys come through with the repair pack, just follow the directions and you'll be right! :)
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment