Snow caves

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Snow caves

Postby lyndoor » Sun 26 Jul, 2009 10:26 pm

Had an interesting conversation recently with my brother-in-law about the time he built a snow cave on Mt Ossa. It was quite a process from start to finish & they stayed in it overnight. Magic! :D

Has anyone built one & how did you go about it?

Lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Snow caves

Postby corvus » Sun 26 Jul, 2009 10:39 pm

Yes have dug a few Snow Caves in my day ,nothing too elaborate and always in a big snow bank(Marigold Valley on the Horse Track was a favourite) only slept in one once and it was not that flash!!
Never built an Igloo type but suspect you would want to be spending more than one night in it owing to the effort involved.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby lyndoor » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 9:31 pm

I was thinking the same, Corvus!
Looked them up on the Net & there was more to them than I first thought. One interesting tip for a cave was to have your entrance sloping down to the outside so the cold air "falls" down & out the hole. Scientific!! :shock:

Lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jwalker » Wed 29 Jul, 2009 5:52 pm

I haven't built one but have benefited from the work done by others.

Two years ago up on Ossa the SES were doing training which included building the "igloo type". They referred to it as a Snow Dome. We were planning to stay up there the day they were coming down, so we thought we'd utilise it. I believe they put many hours work into it. It was very solid and could support all 8 of them standing ontop of it. It slept the 3 of us quite nicely. They are not warm like i had heard previously. They are however eerily quiet. All wind/weather noise is eliminated. Its probably not a bad idea to have a ground sheet for the floor just to avoid slight dampness. Anyway, we enjoyed the experience thorougly. Would of been even better if we hadn't left the gas cannisters down at Pelion. A winters night at the roof of the state in an ice box with no hot dinner or hot drinks. Doh!
Attachments
P8260095 small.jpg
P8260095 small.jpg (97.98 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
DSC00802 small.jpg
DSC00802 small.jpg (243.8 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
jwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lyndoor » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 9:48 pm

Hey, jwalker, cool pics...and well done, gotta admire the adventurous spirit! :wink:

lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment