Best socks

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Best socks

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 9:31 am

Advice is sought abou the best sort of socks to wear.

Except perhaps in camp, cotton is out. Wool and synthetic seem to be not used much on their own, that is, 100% of either. There's a very broad category wool-synthetic which seems to most popular. It gets tricky. How much wool and what sort of synthetic are the main points to clarify. This is compounded by there being minimal objective research. Manufacturers can and do make claims about their socks, but I cannot find anything comparing brands. Further, with products being discontinued and created, it's hard to be current with research, if it exists.

So, can anyone shed light on the above? TIA.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Best socks

Postby Mark F » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 10:04 am

Having tried many different socks over the years I am now a convert for Darn Tough socks (easiest source is online at SocksAddict.com), huge range with different lengths, fibres (wool and Coolmax mainly) and levels of padding - amazing durability. It is these three elements that need to be tailored to your personal preference. Another thing to think about is that the sock(s) should be used to do the final adjustment for boot fit so the degree of padding, all round, bottom only or none, becomes relevant. Using runners I find I prefer a thin, non-cushioned sock but that is personal preference and the need for final adjustment of the fit is less important, in fact I tend to walk with my shoes very loosely laced.

Sock fibres. Personally I don't find a great deal of difference between wool and synthetic. Wool needs to be blended with a reasonable level of synthetic fibre to get the durability although this may be restricted to the key wear points depending on the manufacturer. Wool socks are less likely to stink as badly as synthetic but take longer to dry.

Fit is very important - most probably the most important factor. Too loose and you get wrinkles which become rub points leading to blisters. Generally socks will stretch a little after they have been put on so I err towards a tightish fit. If the sock fits well then there is less ability for the foot to rub inside the sock and thus fewer blisters.

For in camp/sleeping I go for a light loose sock like those you used to get on planes. Loose fitting so that they don't restrict circulation when sleeping but most of the time I don't wear socks to bed or shed them within 30 minutes of doing so.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby peregrinator » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 10:50 am

Last May there was a post here asking about ArmaSkin socks.

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23152&p=299280&hilit=armaskin#p299280

At the time I thought there may be other replies forthcoming, but I read about the socks and thought they'd be worth a try. Note that I was concerned not about blister prevention (this seems to be the key selling point, but I've only had blisters in brand new boots) but general rubbing and comfort.

I have now worn them often enough, in both hot and cold weather, to say that they are my favourite socks for multi-day walks. They are quite unusual in their composition and it can take a while to get used to putting them on, so I can understand why some people may not be interested in trying them. But rather than me spruiking them any further, can I suggest you at least look at the website http://www.armaskin.com/ and perhaps some independent reviews online.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 11:51 am

I hike and also run ultra marathons and for both I use a combination of socks. As an inner sock I use a very thin, ultra- lightweight sock made by Injinji which actually fits like a foot 'glove' over each of your toes. On top of the Injinjis I wear a thicker, longer, heavier hydrophobic sock called DryMax socks which repel the water after river crossings or heavy tropical downpours. Means you only need to carry extra pairs of the ultra lightweight Injinjis as spares and only wear the one pair of heavy DriMax socks. The combination works well for me even after running 100km through the Borneo jungles including through many rivers and sustained tropical downpours - no blisters!
Attachments
IMG_6727.JPG
IMG_6727.JPG (15.24 KiB) Viewed 37135 times
IMG_6726.JPG
IMG_6726.JPG (27.04 KiB) Viewed 37134 times
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby johnrs » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi Mark
Can I suggest wool/synthetic blends with at least 50% wool.
Having trashed so many socks over the years I buy on price and volume rather than very special qualities.
Suggest Perizzi wool blends from Lowes, or if unavailable something from Holeproof.
Single for canyoning, doubled up for ski touring.
More on the shelves in winter.
Sometimes Aldi and Costco do some reasonable quality at a convincing price.
Once located buy at least four pairs.
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 3:19 pm

Mark F wrote:Having tried many different socks over the years I am now a convert for Darn Tough socks (easiest source is online at SocksAddict.com)

Agree - use the same brand and same supplier.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 4:56 pm

DaveNoble wrote:
Mark F wrote:Having tried many different socks over the years I am now a convert for Darn Tough socks (easiest source is online at SocksAddict.com)

Dave

Ditto,
except I use amazon or massdrop.

They have a return policy when they wear out i don't know if anyone has used it here. With the cost of postage to the states it i sprobably cheaper and easier to replace them.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 8:08 am

Yep, another Darn Tough convert here. I've even changed to them for every day wear and all my work socks.

With more traditional type walking boots, look at the full cushion hiking series.

With trail runners you might need to look at something a bit thinner.

They never seem to wear, the merino doesn't stink (even after a week long walking trip) and if you manage to wear a hole in them, they'll replace them free of charge.

I find the sizes a fraction small, but YMMV. I'm always a Large in socks, but the large size Darn Tough are fairly tight.

For smell alone, I won't choose anything other than merino. Can't stand even the slightest smelly feet.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby MickyB » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 9:15 am

Has anyone tried bamboo fibre socks?
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby eggs » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 9:44 am

I was recommended bamboo for comfort, wear and no smell and have used them for a while.
But once wet, they take a very long time to dry.
So good for every day wear, but I would not take them to the bush.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 11:44 am

River walking, rockhopping & swimthroughs....neoprene socks.
Sub Tropics walking.....Darn Tough Cool Max socks
Temperate/Cool climate walking.....70 Mile Bush Merino or Possum blend socks.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby MickyB » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 1:34 pm

eggs wrote:I was recommended bamboo for comfort, wear and no smell and have used them for a while.
But once wet, they take a very long time to dry.
So good for every day wear, but I would not take them to the bush.

Good to know. Thanks eggs. Definitely not an option then for trips with creek crossings.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby lseries92 » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 2:55 pm

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:I find the sizes a fraction small, but YMMV. I'm always a Large in socks, but the large size Darn Tough are fairly tight.

Yes - I find Darn Tough run a bit small too - I just qualify for the large size (US 10) according to their sizing chart and thought initially that they had sent me mediums as felt like they only just fit. That said, I am very happy with them.

As well, I also have started wearing Armaskin socks as I seem to have become more prone to blisters as I have got older. They certainly work. Furthermore (and surprisingly), when I first tried them I still had a blister from a previous walk and I did not even notice it any longer.
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby damoprz » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 3:32 pm

I have been using the Darn Tough 1/4 'Hiker' socks with my La Sportiva Wildcats, but if the temperature is not <5 C they are just too warm + sweaty. I will get something thinner soon, most probably Darn Tough again.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 6:46 pm

No Darn Tough socks for me, might try them one day.

I've been using X-Socks Treklight since 2010. No blisters, and they last a long time. Best to buy in EU though.

Woven with variable thread based on wear and support.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks for the above advice, most illuminating. The question was for a novice bushwalker who does not want to spend a lot at this stage or buy online. The idea is that my friend goes to a shop and buys. The initial walking will be in runners, day walks, so for simplicity it might be that one pair of wool-synthetic socks is easier. Do any brands in the shops stand out? Also, should the socks be ankle, mid-calf or to just below the knee?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Tintin » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:34 am

Lophophaps wrote:Thanks for the above advice, most illuminating. The question was for a novice bushwalker who does not want to spend a lot at this stage or buy online. The idea is that my friend goes to a shop and buys. The initial walking will be in runners, day walks, so for simplicity it might be that one pair of wool-synthetic socks is easier. Do any brands in the shops stand out? Also, should the socks be ankle, mid-calf or to just below the knee?

The length of sock depends on what shoe you are wearing. If you are wearing runners then ankle cut, if boots than something a bit longer below mid-calf.

I can also vouch for Darn Tough. They are worth the investment, you'll never have to buy socks again. In you situation, go to any hiking or camping shop and buy some wool-synthetic blend socks marketed at hikers.
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby neilmny » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 11:10 am

DaveNoble wrote:

Dave

Hi Dave and Mark, what sort of shipping cost is involved with this supplier?
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whitefang » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 11:40 am

neilmny wrote:
DaveNoble wrote:

Dave

Hi Dave and Mark, what sort of shipping cost is involved with this supplier?

International shipping is $12.95, I believe.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rlgm12 » Sat 04 Feb, 2017 8:09 am

Does anyone know where I can get some good 'over the calf', just below the knee, socks?

Wool would be preferable. I have one pair of old cadet socks which are thick and the right length. So far I've tried these ones from Aussie disposal, and they dont want to stay pulled up, nor are they as thick.
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Orion » Sat 04 Feb, 2017 1:48 pm

I also like the "Darn Tough" socks. But I think the name is a misnomer. They aren't really that tough.

I had a sock rip nearly in half when I was pulling it onto my foot. There is a seam in this particular model between the lower fabric and the upper elastic that apparently wasn't stitched all that well. Or maybe it got slightly abraded with use. In any case it wasn't "tough". In my entire life I've never had any sock do this, even really cheap socks.

They do have a satisfaction guaranteed policy where they will replace any pair of socks. But you have to mail the socks to them.

I would say:

- Darn Expensive
- Pretty Comfortable
- More Durable Than Competitors

But not "Darn Tough".
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sat 04 Feb, 2017 2:06 pm

RLgm12 - I noticed some long socks in Kathmandu when I was in there at lunchtime. As is to be expected, absolutely ridiculous price.
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/mens/footwear/socks/ergonomic-trail-run-socks.html
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 9:11 am

I'm another fan of Injinji socks. I have smaller toes that rub together and the Injinjis have totally removed the need to tape them or grow big blisters.

Another option (given the "go to a shop and buy them" requirement" is to go to a good sports store and get running socks. They tend to have extra padding in the right places for hiking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby RasAlt3 » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 5:16 pm

I wore merino icebreaker thin cushion socks while doing the Te Araroa trail in the north island of NZ. Never had any blisters in over 1500km's, and they are still warm even when they get wet. $40 from Paddy Palin. If they get holes (which mine did), just return them to any shop that sells icebreaker socks. Mine were replaced without question (didn't even want to see receipt). Highly recommend!
RasAlt3
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 7:50 pm

I converted to Injinji liner socks two winters ago, still looking for that "Perfect" outer sock so still using up the cheap explorers
I might try the Darn Tough mountaineer since Thorlo stopped making the Arctic" 90% wool sock. I still have 2 pair of the Arctic left, a sock almost 6mm thick
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 7:56 am

Moondog55 wrote:... still using up the cheap explorers ...

Do the Explorers still have that vertical black label at the top?

I can't wear those, because while walking the label looks enough like a leech that it keeps catching my eye.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 3:13 pm

First thing I do is rip that label off
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 12:53 pm

I've been walking in the Injinji the last few weeks and really like them. Have sport crew, a shorter coloured pair and a thin liner pair.

I'm also liking walking through water in trail shoes. This week a little 5k walk was about 2km flooded. But the sun came out and it was a 23 degree day...

I'm thinking to try adding a waterproof sock as it gets colder and for days when it keeps raining. Does anyone know of a local supplier of thr NRS 0.5mm or similar? Only found Gippsland kayak company who have a 2mm version.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby pogo69 » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 4:49 pm

I don't own any socks other than Injinjis. But then, I only wear Vibrams, so my options are limited.
pogo69
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Neo » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 6:01 pm

Think I answered my own question. NRS product description says they are a wetshoe liner, as in designed to be wet but still insulating, like a wetsuit.
The Sealskinz are polypro and merino inside, Dexshell are nylon with similar and both have waterproof breathable membranes in there.

So a dubious use of the word and not what comes to mind when I think of the words waterproof or 100%.
Better go eat some long loaves of bread.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Equipment