Rossi Mulgas for 3 season walking

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Rossi Mulgas for 3 season walking

Postby Rlgm12 » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 8:23 am

http://everythingaustralian.com.au/4002 ... laret.html
The shoes in question.

Has anyone used these boots for walking?
Are they appropriate for most walking?
(Excluding heavy rain and snow conditions)

I'm interested in getting a shoe that I can wear out in the bush and at home. It would also be lighter than my current boots for hiking, offering a lighter option for my day walks etc.
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Rossi Mulgas for 3 season walking

Postby slparker » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 9:06 am

I had a pair a few years ago. I think that they are good for walking. They were my warm weather hikers and yard boots for a while. Nice stable low profile heel with a wide forefoot. The heel cup is narrow so they are a very stable fit and the sole has quite good grip. The shank is not very stiff and can be bent by hand! But in practice this doesn't seem to hinder the stability of the boot.
They are leather so cannot be waterproofed but they also don't take forever to dry like goretex boots. They have 0 cushioning if that is a concern to you.
The only reason I stopped wearing them for bushwalking is that the sole curled up with time and they ended up feeling a little short.
I actually don't know why they aren't more popular. They are light, flexible, stable and robust and made in Australia. They were far more comfortable than the scarpa treks that they replaced.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 5:25 pm

In the 90s i favoured Rossi as a work boot for the width of their last and being Aussie made. I also had the Shearers model with the extra flap to cover the laces.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Osik » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 6:04 pm

Until recently I used Rossi Mulga's for hiking in just about everything beside snow. I actually really enjoyed the lack of padding on both the sole and the sides of the boot. Kept my feet cool & the boot dried out quickly after creek crossing. I had a similar experience to slparker in that they seemed to 'shrink' a little bit after alot of use - not enough to stop wearing them & they seem to stretch out a little after walking for a while - but definitely noticeable. While I've moved to approach shoes as I'm doing more walking with lots of scrambling or rock hopping, I still wear my Rossi's often enough. Good allround boot.
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Postby Rlgm12 » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 9:58 pm

That's good to hear, they seem to be alright shoe. Thanks for the comments on them, this shrinkage does interest me tho.
How is the fit on them?
Would you recommend going down a size or half a size?
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby slparker » Thu 19 Jan, 2017 8:55 am

I think that they are true to size in a UK fitting. Mine are 10.5 and these days I take a US 11.5/UK11 in boots so given that mine are slightly short I'd say that an 11 would fit me fine.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rlgm12 » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 6:55 pm

As these shoes are not made anymore, does anyone know a similar style shoe?
I'm not sure how to add photos onto this, id put a photo in of the style if I could.
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Equipment