No name 4 season tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

No name 4 season tent

Postby Joel1982 » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 5:27 pm

Has anyone ever come across one of these tents on eBay?
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/322351014238?r ... noapp=true

Stats look ok and priced very cheap. Seems too good to be true?
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: No name 4 season tent

Postby Rlgm12 » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 5:42 pm

Does seem too good to be true.

I'm not sure about the pole material and that design in general.
I'm sure some of the DIY folks on here will have a lot to say.
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Rlgm12 » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 5:43 pm

Does seem too good to be true.

I'm not sure about the pole material and that design in general.
I'm sure some of the DIY folks on here will have a lot to say.

That ultra light weight bit makes me feel uneasy.
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 6:17 pm

That is a NatureHike Cloud UP2. Big Agnes Flycreek clone. Great tent for the money.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 7:38 pm

And a $63 Trailstar is cheap too , this is why :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mountai ... 962682726/
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby phsculpture » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 7:54 pm

I have a Big Agnes Flycreek UL2. The side tie-out patches on the fly both failed on my recent trip to Sturt NP. After maybe 25 nights total. That's a drag, since I paid about 300US, but I'll suck it up and just fix them. I don't see these tie-out points on your images, so there's a slight difference. I also have a Hilleberg Nammatj, and I would definitely not consider the tent in your link to be 4 season (if it's a BA clone).
But for $145, and for 3 seasons, sure.
phsculpture
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewa » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 8:23 pm

Depends a bit on what you want to do with it. It may be fine for your use. It might also tear or leak in heavy rain/wind/ snow.

Sometimes "gear failure" is part of the adventure. It has been part of my learning curve over many years, which is why I've ended up with the gear I have. Over 35 yrs, I've been through a lot of stuff, trying to find the "ultimate" setup. My primary interest now is weight vs function.

By all means, buy the tent. Maybe modify it yourself to upgrade the specs. Have a "plan B", if it fails sometime. You might end up being a very happy camper!

I think of my Hilleberg, which has stayed upright in 80-90kph wind on the top of Bogong in winter. Very happy with this, but there have only been a handful of times I've needed something to do this, and, if it failed, we could have packed up and walked down to one of the huts and survived.

There's plenty of "this is the only thing to buy" type information on this forum and others - however, members are at varying stages of financial stability, and some of us >50's might need to recall how we started out. Yes, I know that if we had bought a "whatever brand" tent first up, presuming we had the finances, we might never have needed to upgrade, but a huge amount of my enjoyment in the outdoors has been evolving DIY gear specific to my own uses.

Go for it.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 12:55 pm

Looks like someone's just reselling cheap Chinese gear in Australia. If you order it direct it's more like $100 AU https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NH-clou ... 41689.html

I've bought a few similar things online recently which have been amazing but I still wouldn't trust my safety with important items like packs or tents.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment