Starting from scratch. Critique my gear list please!

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Starting from scratch. Critique my gear list please!

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:28 am

phenomenomenom wrote:
undercling-mike wrote:That's a detailed list!

I know... What can I say? I just really like lists?

undercling-mike wrote:I think the way to go would be a -2C quilt with the zip/drawcord footbox that can be fully opened.

That's very helpful. I'll get in touch with you in a couple of months when I have the money to back my words. :)

undercling-mike wrote:Something like an Opinel #7 or #8...

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

undercling-mike wrote:I think some could be saved in the electronics

aha. You got me. I'm considering bringing a full frame mirrorless for photos and video along the way. The problem with this is battery life. Enough batteries for a week weigh in at almost 800g!!! A solution could be something with solar, similar to Mark F's kit, hence the weird 18650/ML-202 setup. The total additional weight for this set up is about 500g, plus a 1kg camera. I realise that completely undoes weight savings elsewhere, but hopefully I'll be able to convince the rest of my group to help share the load.

I actually already got the zebralight, so I'm stuck with it now! I chose the H600Fw so I can use it cycling in the evenings, which is something I do regularly. I just couldn't justify getting two separate lights to save 44g. One advantage is I won't need any AA batteries. Everything is 18650 which gives redundancy should I run out of power.

undercling-mike wrote:You can probably cut the first aid kit down somewhat, maybe try just using a ziplock bag for it.

My thoughts too, but I wasn't sure what else to cut aside from the heavy bag. Is there anything on there which shouldn't be?

undercling-mike wrote:On my recent walk in Tassie my friend and I both used 45L Exped lightning packs...

Now that doesn't help me decide at all! haha

undercling-mike wrote:The Tasgear gaiters made by forum member Scottyk are also worth a look if you haven't already.

I had seen them but for some reason they didn't make my list. Looking again, they seem miles ahead of all the rest. I'll go with them.

For the electronics, fair enough, camera gear is a whole other category, you'll have a better idea what's reasonable after some practice walks, and if you've got the H600fw no point changing it. It's a great light, just overkill IMO. I can't see solar being a real option, you may or may not have sun and you need decent sized panels to even keep a phone charged. For a week trip battery packs are lighter generally.

For the first aid kit rather than having a pile of things and trying to justify leaving individual things out, instead try to come at it thinking of a few reasonable scenarios you might have to treat and choose the bare minimum things you would need in those scenarios. This approach helps for general packing as will IMO.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby phenomenomenom » Thu 26 Jan, 2017 8:52 pm

I've said it a few times now, but thank you all for the advice. Some great tips here!

I will only ever be rehydrating 'meal in a bag' bought meals, or homemade-dehydrated-vacuum sealed meals, and brewing tea and coffee. If I branch out into 'real' cooking I'll happily purchase something more appropriate. Knowing what I'm actually doing with it, I think I've narrowed it down to either:

• The MSR Windburner // 460g
    OR
  • BRS-3000T // 25g
  • Windshield // 15g
  • Titanium Pot, approx 1L // ~100g
  • Cozy // ~45g
  • Bowl - X-Bowl? // ~80g
  • Cup, X-Mug? // ~60g
    Total: ~325g, boil only. Includes cup.

It seems to be a convenience vs weight situation. What are your thoughts? Since I'm not a solo hiker, would a stove that can easily heat water/cook for 2-3 people average out lighter than other designs?
phenomenomenom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby weeds » Fri 27 Jan, 2017 6:07 am

I would go the BRS set up......140g saving plus you need to add bowl to the MSR, I watched people eating out of the MSR and you need an extra long spoon, a bowl is so much easier. The MSR look good for those that drink a lot of brews.

We use strive meals which requires bringing to the boil than simmering
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 27 Jan, 2017 6:00 pm

weeds wrote:We use strive meals which requires bringing to the boil than simmering

Bring to the boil, bung in the cosy, leave for 15-50 minutes, stirring once or twice. As simple as it gets.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby weeds » Fri 27 Jan, 2017 6:53 pm

north-north-west wrote:
weeds wrote:We use strive meals which requires bringing to the boil than simmering

Bring to the boil, bung in the cosy, leave for 15-50 minutes, stirring once or twice. As simple as it gets.

Fair enough.....still heavy though
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 27 Jan, 2017 7:00 pm

Pot, burner, cylinder, windshield, cosy, spork. Worth the weight.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Neo » Fri 27 Jan, 2017 7:42 pm

The MSR looks nice but probably overkill for your QLD adventures. It's designed for high winds and cold temps. Does seem to have a bowl but you can eat from the packet or pot. I always thought those systems looked bulky and expensive.

I use:
Soto Windmaster
Companion solo (1lt pot and lid only)
Optimus plastic stand
LMF plastic spork

Weighs 320g cost $150 with minor discounts.

Mini gas and burner fit in the pot with silicone lid. Stand and spork go elsewhere. Usually add a cup.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby phenomenomenom » Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:44 pm

All those stoves look great. Since I'm in a group, and will be using large-ish pots I'm thinking a remote canister stove may be better.

• Burner - Fire-Maple FMS-117T // 98g
  • Pot - Toaks Titanium 1300mL // 145g
  • Wind Shield - Titanium // 15g
  • Cup - Mark F Inspired Jalna container // 36g
  • Cosy - Make something?
    Total: About 300g without Cosy.
I was still tempted by the convenience of a WindBurner, but then I realised this setup is $200 cheaper and 160g lighter. For now I'm opting for the convenience of a gas stove over the light weight of alcohol. I may try it later though.

Are there any obvious improvements to be made here?
phenomenomenom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby LachlanB » Thu 02 Feb, 2017 8:46 am

I'm not going to comment on your cooking setup, as I've got an upright canister stove.
But I'm a bit curious about the amount of charging equipment you have for your camera. Are you sure you need the charger, battery pack and two batteries?
However, camera battery life is very much linked to how you use it, and I'm used to a DSLR as opposed to your mirrorless.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 9:38 am

Okay, I give up.
I've got no idea what the 6 cup hooks are for!
Mind you, I've only been bushwalking for over 40 years and am always learning something new.

Re poles - I bought my first pair a couple of months ago due to knees being well and truly worn out. Still getting used to them but find they're of little benefit on flat or mild inclines but great for steep,up and down hills sections. Takes me about 30 seconds to deploy them when I see a need coming and the same to put them away when I'm back on flatter terrain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby gayet » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 11:07 am

Cup hooks are very useful on tent platforms, when there are no nails or cables in the right place for your tent. screw a hook between boards to attach your guy to. unscrew when departing and you have not damaged the platform. They are strong, easy to use and light weight
gayet

Postby davidf » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 2:41 pm

I am a big HMG porter fan. Sucks up tight for small loads. I have a large dry bag/packliner i can dump stuff in for side trips. I use aldi synthetic sleeping bags. A tarp or light mid for a tent. Currently using the mld duomid, would by a cuben Hmg mid when I learn how to rob banks. Synthetic puff jacket. Day shirt and shorts, polyester from kmart exercise stuff. Thermals, day polypro, dries quickerthan wool and doesnt hold water weight, merino if nèeded for sleeping. Nylon with pu coat ismy choice of rain jacket. I recomend wine bladder (2l) for camp use. Just drink the 2L of port asap. Otherwise softdrink botles are fine. That said a wide mouth bottle can be handy, but i carry a 700ml mug that makes filling a soft drink bottle easyl.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 7:06 pm

gayet wrote:Cup hooks are very useful on tent platforms, when there are no nails or cables in the right place for your tent. screw a hook between boards to attach your guy to. unscrew when departing and you have not damaged the platform. They are strong, easy to use and light weight

Thanks, Gayet - you really do learn something new every day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Previous

Return to Equipment