Classic Paddy Pallin pack from the 1960's

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Classic Paddy Pallin pack from the 1960's

Postby Osik » Tue 24 Jan, 2017 2:04 pm

Though it's clearly had some modern additions (ie waist straps & foam!): http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Paddy-Pallin ... SwjDZYgt92

Not mine, but I'd almost be tempted to pick it up to take walking just for kicks. I'm sure a couple of forum members must've used or made similar packs, how do they go with having a flat piece on your lower back?

Mods, please feel free to move this to the Specials forum if you think that is the proper place for this topic.
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Re: Classic Paddy Pallin pack from the 1960's

Postby Mark F » Tue 24 Jan, 2017 2:25 pm

It looks like an Explorer model, most probably 1960s as claimed given the type of canvas and cotton lacing. The leno mesh back strips have been retrofitted as these didn't appear to the best of my knowledge until the mid/late 1970's. The "flat piece" on the lower back is actually a thick chrome tanned leather so it has some give.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 24 Jan, 2017 3:15 pm

All the weight got taken on the shoulders. Worth buying for interests sake if you keep the load below 12 kilos but i'd not be tempted at that price, $30- maybe
I have however bookmarked it to watch
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Osik » Tue 24 Jan, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks Mark & MD. I certainly don't need to start collecting vintage gear but it's always interesting to see what people were using at certain times.

Thanks too for the heads up about the tanned leather, I imagine that like a leather bicycle seat, it'd slowly mold to your body and actually become reasonably comfortable. When were these type of external frame packs phased out?
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Postby Mark F » Tue 24 Jan, 2017 4:04 pm

They were phased out in the latter half of the 70s. They were replaced with packs based on narrower, cut down Karrimor frames curved and in aluminium with hip belts.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Equipment