Neutrino 1 vs. Vango Blade 100 vs. other

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Neutrino 1 vs. Vango Blade 100 vs. other

Postby Joel1982 » Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm on a strict budget to acquire some gear before a 6 day hike. I've been looking for 1 person, 3 seasons tents the past 3 or 4 weeks under the $200 mark and came across 2 potential condidates:

Neutrino 1
http://www.mountaindesigns.com/store/pr ... no-1p-tent

Vango Blade 100
http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/vango-b ... TE-BL100-M

If anyone has used these (or perhaps both!) can you provide some advice, pros and cons about each, or maybe some other tent in that price range I have not come across. I'm a bit hesitant to go down the path of one of the Naturehike or Hillman tents from AliExpress but any advice from people who have used one of those would be appreciated, too!

I'm expecting lots of wind and rain on my walk, so I'd like to know specifically if they can handle that over 5 or 6 nights. I'd love to buy a 'forever tent' but with limited funds, that will have to wait for another time.

Cheers,
Joel
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Neutrino 1 vs. Vango Blade 100 vs. other

Postby wayno » Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:47 pm

I'd want a floor with a hh rating of 10,000 if it going to rain a lot. none of those tents do
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Joel1982 » Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:52 pm

Could I get away with a good ground sheet?
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:57 pm

heavy rain can get over a groundsheet, a good tent will have a bucket floor where the waterproof floor material is also on the bottom of the walls... especially if its windy.... shame macpac have just ended their tent sale..
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Mark F » Wed 25 Jan, 2017 1:06 pm

I have not used either tent but would prefer the Vango even though it is a bit heavier based on your expectation of lots of wind and rain.

The MD tent has the front of the inner exposed to rain if the door is open and is inner first pitch. It also has no provision for guying out the main panels which is important in windy conditions.

It is a bit hard to tell but the Vango addresses these MD tent deficiencies. It seems to offer more possibility of ventilation in poor conditions and appears to offer outer pitch first.

Edit - The floor in the Vango is 6000mm hh (and 5000 on the fly) which is better than the MD as well as most others especially in the OP's price range. I wouldn't be too worried about this aspect of the specification.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Strider » Wed 25 Jan, 2017 2:12 pm

My son and I spent our first night in our Naturehike Star River 2 on Saturday just gone. Yes there are better tents out there in terms of features but I honestly believe this can't be beaten for the price. Highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment