Tips for repairing a hole in a merino shirt by darning?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Postby keithy » Sat 28 Jan, 2017 11:56 am

One of my favourite thin 150 Icebreaker T-shirts has developed a small hole. It is one of those close fitting tops that has some stretch to it.
DSC04316 (Medium).JPG

I am looking for thin thread of a matching colour to try and darn it. Any tips for someone with average sewing skills? or can I try a temporary iron on patch on the underside?

I have tried darning some wool socks with thicker wool threads in the past, but that was a fairly poor effort.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Re: Tips for repairing a hole in a merino shirt by darning?

Postby andrewa » Sat 28 Jan, 2017 12:09 pm

I'd get some thin grey thread, Google "darning" and go for it. I've darned a few holes in jumpers, and they've come up pretty well. It wasn't that hard
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby RonK » Sat 28 Jan, 2017 12:13 pm

Unfortunately the lightweight merino is not very durable.

But here is how you darn it.

RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby keithy » Sat 28 Jan, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks guys, I'll find some thin thread and give it a go. I don't have a sewing machine though RonK, but that does look easier, so I'll be hand stitching.

I have found my thin Icebreakers to be reasonably hardy. I take them travelling with me and pretty much wear them for weeks on end usually hand washing them when I get a chance. The one that sported the hole might have caught on my hip belt buckle or on my pants belt as it is at the front on the waist, but the shirt itself was bought in 2012, so I'm not doing too bad out of it. They just don't make that style anymore and I want to stop the hole getting bigger.
keithy

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 8:45 am

You should also find a fine embroidery needle for the task. It's an embroidery skill if you are hand sewing. When I was in Beijing and my son's lightweight down jacket got ripped. The skilled local seamstress advised a patch would be RMB20, embroidered repair would be RMB80 per cm. I picked the former for the 6cm tear.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby keithy » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 8:20 pm

An update to my holey merino shirts.

Another of my Icebreakers (another 150gsm) got a tear of about 2cm on the left chest during week on the Great Ocean Walk in November. I thought it might have caught on my pack shoulder strap.

I previously tried darning, but my attempts were pretty poor for small holes. So I resorted to trying out the iron on patches for these small holes, ironing them on the inside of the shirt. Turns out they work pretty good.

I've now done the same for my grey merino tops from last year that had the little holes on them. The patches have been through a number of washes and are still good. So far better than my poor darning attempts.

IMG_20171216_130617 (Medium).jpg
Repaired tear from the outside. Without close inspection I can't see the tear.

IMG_20171216_130511 (Medium).jpg
The patch from the inside
keithy

Return to Equipment