Mont Tapered Rectangular Bags- 2 questions

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Mont Tapered Rectangular Bags- 2 questions

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 29 Jul, 2009 11:08 pm

I have two questions about these bags, specifically the Aurora Woman's Model and Nadgee. The first is, how water resistant are the normal (not XT) bags? Will normal tent condensation and sweat be a problem with them? (I'm sweaty...... :oops: ) My next question is, are the temperature ratings fairly accurate with them? Does the advertisedf -12c at the bottom range mean -12 extreme, or -12 comfort for a man or -12 comfort for a woman, or what?

Is the Aurora the right bag for a cold sleeping woman for three season hiking in Tassie and hut use in winter?

This is WAY worse than tent shopping, or even pack shopping. What a pain in the rear..........
the_camera_poser

Re: Mont Tapered Rectangular Bags- 2 questions

Postby dee_legg » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 8:36 am

I can vouch for the quality of Mont bags, and have used a few different bags and felt their temp ratings are reasonable. The Aurora is the womans version of the Brindabella, the bag i have... too tall for the womens... and i'd say -3C would be a comfort rating, -12C being an extreme rating. The Nadgee is rated less due to 150g LESS down, but i'm sure you figured it out.
For the sort of walking i do, i'm happy to carry 1.4kg of bag, knowing that i'll always get to sleep, even if i have had to wear my downie (Mont icicle.. I'm a bit of a walking talking Mont ad at times) once or twice.
As far as the nylon material in the outer... i've only used it in their Zodiac series of bags, where i never had to find out how water resistant is it, thankfully. But the XT is really good, which is what i have.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment