Removable insole

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Removable insole

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 02 Feb, 2017 8:01 am

Before Christmas I bought a new pair of boots, Scarpa. They fitted well, were comfortable and were reasonably light. On the Christmas walk I went to take out the insole to let the boots dry. I was stunned to find that the insole is very securely fixed to the boot. All my other boots have insoles that can be removed. It did not occur to me to check in the shop that the insoles came out - or not.

Has anyone had boots with insoles that are fixed like this? Should insoles be fixed?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Removable insole

Postby Eremophila » Thu 02 Feb, 2017 12:28 pm

Too bad if you needed orthotics. I guess ideally you would take those with you to try on the boots (if the shop allows ??)

I'm currently using insoles which are not custom-made but are off-the-shelf ones which have been "tweaked" by the podiatrist. That's a timely reminder for me to check any footwear I buy in future.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby roysta » Fri 03 Feb, 2017 5:03 pm

I've certainly never seen that before with any brand.
I have several pairs of Scarpa boots and all insoles have been removable.
So there's no way you can get them out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 03 Feb, 2017 5:24 pm

They appear to be stuck to the point that they cannot come out. The edges do not afford much if any purchase. Just checked. The top of the insoles is soft and with some difficluty I got a hold and pulled. They came out, but the top cushion bit partly separated from the rigid bottom bit. Merde! If they had been 1 mm narrower on each side and at the heel they would have come out easily, like every other pair of boots I've had for ages. bad design, or maybe the insoles are for a bigger boot. I might attack the insoles with a box cutter.

Roysta, thanks, your post was enough for me to look again. Mind you I'd made several attampts, and the fact that the top and bottom became separated when I pulled the insoles out says volumes.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Equipment