New walker. Desperate for backpack advice!

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

New walker. Desperate for backpack advice!

Postby Rachelwalks » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi Everyone
Im hoping someone could help me with a backpack recommendation. I havent 'backpacked' for about 10 years but am walking a section of the Dolomites in July and then travelling around Italy for a few weeks carrying the pack shorter distances. Im after a pack that holds minimum 50l but Im having real trouble with the design of the modern packs. Im female and only 5 feet tall (in hiking boots :( ) and all the packs Ive tried seem really tall and narrow. I know this is great for weight distribution but for someone small like me it leads to the top of the pack resting against the back of my head and the bottom banging against the back of my legs. Is there shorter, wider packs or any other suggestions for me? Id really appreciate any help as Im new to this and have no idea whats out there.
Thanks in advance
Rachelwalks
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: New walker. Desperate for backpack advice!

Postby legend » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 8:16 pm

There are a few women specific packs on the market.
Quite a few in my club use Osprey Packs.
Most say they are the most comfortable pack on the market.
They do come in a variety of sizes including small frames.
legend
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mickl » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 12:51 am

My wife is only a few inches taller than you and uses an Osprey womens back and loves it. You should have no issues getting one of the Osprey packs that fits ok.
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby roysta » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 8:59 am

This might sound silly but have you thought about kid's packs?
I know a woman who went down that track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby RonK » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 10:30 am

Rachelwalks wrote:I know this is great for weight distribution but for someone small like me it leads to the top of the pack resting against the back of my head and the bottom banging against the back of my legs.

This suggests to me that the packs you have tried are not properly fitted, or that you have not been shown how to wear them correctly. It's difficult to understand how the pack could be banging against the back of your legs if the hipbelt is correctly secured and carrying the load.

Do go try out the womens Osprey packs - my wife has had several and they are very good.

But go to a reputable store and have the pack properly fitted.
Last edited by RonK on Wed 08 Feb, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby neilmny » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 10:36 am

Rachelwalks wrote:...........it leads to the top of the pack resting against the back of my head and the bottom banging against the back of my legs............

This suggests a very badly fitted and adjusted pack with the wrong sized harness. Go to a reputable shop where the staff know what they are talking about and how to fit your pack.
My wife and 2 female friends of ours swear by their Osprey women's specific packs for comfort and function.

This is an article I googled (I haven't read it) on the Ariel women's specific pack - http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/ ... el-65-pack

I/we have no affiliation with Osprey.

You beat me to Ronk. :D
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MikeB62 » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 11:36 am

[quote="roysta"]This might sound silly but have you thought about kid's packs?
I know a woman who went down that track. /quote]

This good advice. I have Osprey Ace packs for my teenage kids. The Ace 50 or Ace 75 may suit you well. They are fully featured with adjustable length harness and VERY similar to the Osprey Kestrel series.
MikeB62
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi Rachel, and welcome!

I may be 1 cm taller than you, but I suspect I've shrunk at least that much. I've been pretty happy with my Berghaus women's Torrridon 60 l pack - I've had problems with taller packs in the past. From a quick google, it looks like they don't make them anymore. :roll:

I'm not sure from the pics, but maybe this one still has a reasonable shape for us.
http://www.mountaindesigns.com/store/products/BH21586/bh-trailhead-60-bronze-w

Unfortunately the Osprey hip belts don't work for me (they irritate something and cause pain). The thicker foam on the Berghaus hip belt (and no grosgrain ribbon along the base of the belt) is far more comfy for me. I know a couple of others who have had a similar problem with Osprey packs, but I know lots of people who are very happy with theirs. Definitely worth trying packs on fully loaded for more than a couple of minutes if possible.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 5:57 pm

Rachelwalks wrote:Im after a pack that holds minimum 50l but Im having real trouble with the design of the modern packs. Im female and only 5 feet tall (in hiking boots :( ) and all the packs Ive tried seem really tall and narrow.

May I ask if you think you'll really need 50L? With all the tech changes in the last decade, gears have got lighter and more compact. As such, the capacity and load needed in the past are often no longer current. The other suggestion is to consider an Aarn pack, where a bit of volume is moved to the front chest packs, thereby the backpack is not as massive for comparable setup of similar volume.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PedroArvy » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 7:11 pm

Aarn
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 7:39 pm

Agree with the Osprey - if anyone asks me about packs and a bit unsure I tell them to start with Osprey as they fit nearly anyone well and are generally a very good pack. Most other packs you want to be clearer about what specifically you want from the particular brand/model.

If most are too tall and narrow, maybe get a larger pack (e.g. 75 or 85l) but keep it compressed down so it is shorter (Osprey's cinch down really well to a smaller load). 50l in a 85l pack will be a stubbier carry than 50l in a 50l pack.

Also, as others have mentioned, make sure you get the back sizing right. It isn't always straight forward. For example I am 6'3"-4" but a medium back length pack for most brands is my fit. My first pack was a large back length (i think the sales person looked me up an down and thought it had to be) and it never quite fitted right. Make sure to follow the manufacturers measurements for fitting and ideally try on the sizes loaded.
nq111

Region: Queensland

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 11:20 pm

As everyone has said you should be able to do much better than what you described, just keep persevering and find someone who knows how to properly fit and adjust a pack (either a friend or if you're lucky the salesperson). Try as many as you can and don't rush, the good thing is you should still have plenty of time before your trip.

To add another brand to the mix I've got a couple of friends who really like their Gregory women's packs so they're probably also worth trying.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Suz » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 11:12 am

If I needed a bag as big as you say I'd go with tortoises advice as she is clearly in the same boat as you. But if you have not been hiking in the alps before then the thing is - you really don't need more than 25-30 litre capacity...if you are hiking hut to hut that is. Hotels in Europe and also train stations often offer luggage storage so you can leave your non hiking stuff behind and pick it up later.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby wayno » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 11:24 am

Lowe Alpine, ,
Black Diamond,
Deuter also make good adjustable packs
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Violet_Femme » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm 4ft 11'' and I use a Osprey Ariel 55 XS which is actually 49L. Due to my stature and size, the salesman would not sell me anything larger, he claimed I wouldnt be able to carry it!

I did read Gregory Jade packs are good for women shorter of stature, they are usually available in Canada or the US- you can probably find an online seller. They are lighter than the Ospreys . I found that the material seemed a bit light on for the Aussie scrub though it may suit a non scrubby walk in the Dolomites.

If I had to look at a pack now, I'd look at the Osprey Exos in Small or XS or the Macpac Tasman 45L in Size W1- less unnecessary straps and weight as my Ariel backpack weighs about 2.5kg unloaded. The only thing I find is it's not easy to find those packs in those sizes (I just had a look myself).
Violet_Femme
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kitty » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 10:09 pm

The Aarn Featherlite Freedom in small has a wider and shorter shape than some packs. The pack is 50L and the front packs are 12L, 62L total.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby waggy » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi there, my wife bought a one planet pack. The ned. Its a nice looking canvas bag....anyways what i thought good about it was the sizing the company is able to do. We were able to swap out the hip belt to suit her, and my wife raves about the harness. Worth a look at if you ask me.
waggy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment