MSR WhisperLite

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

MSR WhisperLite

Postby Joel1982 » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 11:48 am

Need some advice on the MSR WhisperLite. Getting an offer for $80 + $15 for the bottle and need to decide asap.

How do the bottles work? Are they refillable? At what cost? How does teh pump operate?

Never used a hiking stove before...just want to not get screwed on my first buy :)

Thanks!
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: MSR WhisperLite

Postby undercling-mike » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 12:04 pm

That's a good price on that stove, assuming it's the type of stove you want. It's not as easy to use as a gas stove and is heavier but they are reliable and serviceable. Good for winter and cold conditions. You fill the bottle with shellite (or unleaded if you're desperate), screw the pump into the bottle, attach to stove, pressurize, prime and then you're good to go.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 12:15 pm

Not the best stove for any one thing, but they are tough, re-buildable and get the job done. They don't have much of a simmer control, it can be done, but takes some practice, but for straight out boiling water, they are very good. Easy to get fuel, lots of good accessories, and easy parts.

As good as a stove as they are, if its your first one, I don't know that I'd be recommending it, unless there was a reason you wanted that type of stove (cooking for a few people, cold weather) That said, unless you loose it, or drive over it, it will last a long time, so its not like you won't get use out of it. Hard question to answer.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Strider » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 1:34 pm

I agree with what the others said. Personally I would go for a gas stove. I like my Kovea Spider.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Joel1982 » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks for the advice as always.

Plan to use it for the OLT (so cool, wet and windy but can just use it in a hut if necessary (btw will sleep in tent and only go in hut when needed)) and may be cooking for more than 1. Outside of that I would be using it for family weekend camping occasionally.

Where do you find shellite? (sorry...first timer here).

Sounds like I'll bite the bullet and just dive in with this one. And if I don't like it, it sounds like I can resell with minimal loss. Was going to get a used set of MSR stainless pots (1.5 and 2L) for $25 on gumtree but looks like they've been sold!

Cheers
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 1:45 pm

Good plan. Note that stainless pots are robust but often very heavy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 6:50 pm

should work for you. Shellite is available at most hardware stores, as well as camping shops, gas stations. Its also called white-gas, camping gas, and coleman fuel in other places, so if you are doing any reading, those all mean the same product.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby RonK » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 10:30 pm

Joel1982 wrote:Sounds like I'll bite the bullet and just dive in with this one.

Then I'll give you another piece of advice - make sure you are outside and away from anything flammable first time you light the thing. It'll very likely flare uncontrollably and you could burn the house down. And never light it in or near a tent.

Take the other's advice - buy a gas canister stove.
Last edited by RonK on Mon 13 Feb, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Joel1982 » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks for the heads up. Thought they might be a bit less controllable just because of the fuel source. There will be lots of practice before I rely on it for my only source of a hot meal!
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby alanoutgear » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 7:52 pm

I'm fairly sure there are signs in the OLT huts about not using liquid fuel stoves inside which is why the huts have brackets for them on the outside walls. You can use gas stoves inside though.

As a long time Trangia user, then pressurised liquid fuel stove user in the past I now exclusively use a small Fire Maple Titanium gas stove that can be used with the gas canister inverted to defeat the impacts of cold and elevation.

I wouldn't go back, but still have a play at home with my Trange and my Optimus Nova stove from time to time. All it does is confirm my decision to go with gas was right.
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dashandsaph » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 1:02 pm

If you are tempted by the Kovea Spider - this link is for a new one for about AU$62 - good value for a reliable stove. I recommend you don't start with a petrol stove unless you have someone to show you how to light it and run it safely - there are some slightly tricky things to learn. What ever stove you get, use it somewhere safe and outdoors before you are doing it "for real" on a wet and windy spot on the OLT.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/1722843 ... 107&chn=ps
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnrs » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 3:13 pm

And Joel
Here is a vote for the Whisperlite
Great stove in particular circumstances:
large group, long trip or in the snow.
And the multifuel stoves are good in developing countries when kerosene is the fuel of choice.
Have not seen any signs in the overland track huts
but yes the stoves do require some easily acquired finesse
John
johnrs

Postby Joel1982 » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 11:46 am

Thanks for all of the opinions and advice, everyone. I went ahead and bought the whisperlite; after looking at some youtube videos on operation and maintenance it looked easy enough to use. Although I would certainly understand not using them indoors because of the priming required. I don't mind preparing food outside in the 'cold' (not a problem for a Canadian, eh?) At ~$100 it's not going to break the bank if I don't like at and buy something different. Cheers
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 12:04 pm

Priming is much less of an issue if you take along a small bottle of metho and use a quarter teaspoon or so for the preheating.
MSR used to include a small bottle for this purpose but my last XGK-EX didn't have one and I had to spend $1.50 or so to get one at the market
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joel1982 » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 7:24 pm

Thanks for the tip. Why do this instead of filling the primer with fuel that's already in the big bottle?
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby andrewa » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 7:51 pm

Because priming with shellite or petrol can be super exciting, in a negative sort of way!

Most of us over 50 yo have been exposed to "choofers", and the early MSR international, and almost burnt our eyebrows off, or burnt the tent down. Metho is miles safer as it's less volatile.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby robbieb » Thu 16 Feb, 2017 7:24 am

Where's the fun in not losing your eyebrows, hand and some arm hair every time you light your stove?
robbieb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnrs » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 11:39 am

A bit harsh there Robbie

Once again

And Joel
And the multifuel stoves are good in developing countries when kerosene is the fuel of choice.
Kerosene will work to over 5500m!

John
johnrs

Postby robbieb » Mon 27 Feb, 2017 1:59 pm

johnrs wrote:A bit harsh there Robbie

Once again

And Joel
Kerosene will work to over 5500m!

John

Sorry, should have followed with a smiley like :lol:

I also own this stove, it was the first hiking stove I bought. Trick for me is to make sure I only use half a primer cup full, and not spill it all on the ground to minimise the fireball.
The benefit of using the stove's own fuel to prime and not some metho is that there is fuel in the line and you can hear when it starts to vapourise. Once the priming flame dies down to almost nothing, the valve can be opened and away you go. Better to be a bit late on opening the valve than too early, as if it is hot enough to vapourise you can relight, but if early, you'll get a bigger fireball than desirable.
I guess you could always prime the line then add metho to the cup to make a cleaner priming burn
robbieb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby davidf » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 5:24 pm

I first used a whisperlite at Heuco Tanks Texas in 90, only ever used a trangia stove a few times prior. Blue Mountains boy, we cooked on fire. Nearly burnt a hut down on first use! Never read the instructions, just pumped away screwed open the valve and let her run and a while later lit her up. Kaboom.

I mainly use a gas stove now, but for long trips liquid fuel is more weight and size efficient. Its cheaper. You dont end up with a cupboard of 1/5th full gas canisters you cant use for a whole weekend and you dont want to carry a bunch of near empty cannisters to get you through. You have a good price. I say get it. I got a titanium snowpeak gas thing for under $40. I reckon in the long run both work and have pros and cons
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 01 Mar, 2017 8:40 am

These are ok. Just let enough fuel out until you can see it run/spit fuel on to the plate and turn off don't bother filling/half filling whatever.
When that burns out, if it doesn't gassify let another small drop/spit out (till you just see it run onto the plate) and try again. Only need to warm the loop not prime the line, amount relative to temperature of course. I suspect you could do it with a lighter in warmer weather (though never tried), typical ozzie summer nights.

I'd buy this stove for some overseas countries, lots of snow camping, gas is easier/quicker/cleaner, probably generally 'safer' (ie. Iv'e not yet set my feet on fire with a gas stove)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joel1982 » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks everybody. I bought it and tried it out. Very easy to get going after following instructions. No big fireball...at least not any bigger than youtubers have shown me. Can't wait to try it out for real when I get some pots.
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 12:20 pm

Joel1982 wrote:Thanks everybody. I bought it and tried it out. Very easy to get going after following instructions. No big fireball...at least not any bigger than youtubers have shown me. Can't wait to try it out for real when I get some pots.

Aldi Easter sale coming up, their pot and kettle set is very good value and well worth looking at. I have 2 sets for different rucksacks
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Mon 29 May, 2017 6:49 pm

I've got the Simmerlite. Similar to the Whisperlite from what I can tell.
I regularly use it in the vestibue of the tent, I unclip the tent inner and pull it back a bit to make a bit more space.
I'd call myself very experienced with this stove now, but am always very careful as you need to be when in close proximity to highly flammable liquid.
Just treat it with respect.
I also always have my leather hat ready to put over the whole thing if I need to smother, and a couple of 1 litre wide mouth water bottles at the ready.
Haven't had an incident yet.
I had a choofer once too - the Optimus 99 shellite stove. Still got it too. Used that once fully inside the tent too, only through necessity (think Mary Creek Plain leeches).
Not sure I'd use the Simmerlite fully inside the tent though - mainly due to the priming process.
I've used the stove inside a number of huts on their stainless benches. Isn't that what they're for?
As the priming flame starts to die I slowly ease pressure on the tap to turn on a trickle, I also keep a good eye on the quantity of fuel in the priming tray. You'll soon get the hang of it.
Practice when it's cold, try and master priming it with the minimal amount of fuel. And to turn the tap on so as to release some fuel for priming (before it's lit), turn that on slowly too and get a good look at the jet, use a torch if you have to. Learn how much fuel it needs and learn what is too little.
This will save you fuel as well as produce the smallest priming fire. Well, works for me anyhow.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby markg » Tue 30 May, 2017 5:47 pm

How funny is that, just got a new Whisperlight International delivered today. Replaced one we "misplaced" a couple of weeks ago. The advice about not filling the priming cup is spot on. Just enough to wet the wick with a couple of drops in the cup and your good to go. Just open your valve very slowly and give it a second to come through. I never have any flare up following this procedure. I actually wanted the "Universal" but apparently it for some reason doesn't meet Australian standards, and companies won't ship it here,( this seems kind of strange) the primus I have can have a gas container inverted, and we do a lot of cooking so one of each works for us. Very hard to find good gas mixes that will work when it's cold. MSR cost a motsa for their stuff, but it's a good fuel. Guess you can always sit your canister in warm water to help it along. You will be happy with your stove thats for sure for sure.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sa_cooke » Sat 08 Jul, 2017 6:57 pm

Late to he party as usual. One more vote for the Whisperlite. I have the International and the Universal (I bought my Universal through a place in UK). I've used Whisperlites since the late 80s, and love them. Easy to control once you've mastered the priming process.
sa_cooke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment