Exped Synmat UL9 deflating

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Exped Synmat UL9 deflating

Postby Suz » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 11:02 am

My Exped Synmat UL9 has taken to slowly deflating over a few hours. It has lost its green silicone flap that lines the inflation valve. Do any Exped owners out there think that may be the cause of the problem or am I likely just to have a small tear somewhere on the baffles? If it is tge likely cause, does anyone know if there is a fix for this?
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Exped Synmat UL9 deflating

Postby undercling-mike » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 11:15 am

That does sound like a likely cause for a slow deflation, you might have to contact Exped or their distributors to see if the flap can be replaced.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Suz » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks Mike. Have now written to Exped Oz to see.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 6:51 pm

I think Mike is correct. I know that I have to be careful to not have any insulation fibres blow out and sit under the green flap when I tickle a bit of air out of my UL9. If the flap doesn't seat properly it causes a very slow leak. I guess that says the green flap is an essential part of the seal.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 7:50 pm

To try and find the leak just make up a brew of soapy water using dishwashing detergent and water.Filling up an almost empty detergent bottle with water and spraying it on the inflated mat should show where the leak is with a bunch of bubbles.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby robbieb » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 3:06 pm

MeanderingFlyFisher wrote:To try and find the leak just make up a brew of soapy water using dishwashing detergent and water.Filling up an almost empty detergent bottle with water and spraying it on the inflated mat should show where the leak is with a bunch of bubbles.

That or just dunk it in the bath, bubbles will come up from the leak and then you don't need to worry about cleaning off detergent to make the glue stick from a patch
robbieb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Suz » Fri 17 Feb, 2017 8:59 pm

thanks all.

Exped are sending me out a new silicone flap to insert in the valve and hopefully that'll fix it.

Need the little guy to keep me warm in tazzie soon :)
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby undercling-mike » Fri 17 Feb, 2017 9:20 pm

Nice one! Hopefully that sorts out the problem.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Suz » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:54 pm

Silicone flap did not solve the problem. Still need to find hole in it somewhere...hard to do when travelling. Will continue to sleep on a semi deflated mat *sigh*
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 8:49 pm

Erk. Unless you normally wake up for a pee at night ( in which case you can give it a blow up), that's a real bummer.
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby simonm » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 5:16 am

Suz wrote:Silicone flap did not solve the problem. Still need to find hole in it somewhere...hard to do when travelling. Will continue to sleep on a semi deflated mat *sigh*

Suz I have a Synmat UL7 here and a few Neoairs. If you need another mat I am happy to loan one to you whilst you are in Tas.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby Suz » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 8:00 am

Omg Simon! Really?

Only thing is - I could really only pick it up this Sunday around lunch time - as I have to be at lake st Clair to catch the bus to Qtn/Cradle by 2:30.

But if that is not a super pain to you, I would Iove to borrow the UL7. (And if I damaged it, I'd buy you a new one.)

Perhaps when I drop it back off...if you are free...you could explain to me the finer points of hanging my new Goshawk as I'm not sure I'm doing it efficiently. Im also wondering if I need to hang it any differently if it is windy AND rainy ...because the tarp doesn't extend that much longer than the hammock itself. (Haven't experience rain in it yet). It is very comfy tho!

I will take the tent on the OLT /WOJ as I'm confident about my ability to stay dry in the tent. Hammock gives a better sleep tho.

Anyhow, if Sunday works for you - awesome and thanks for the offer, if not, then all good, I will sleep on my UL9 that is a UL1 in the mornings.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby simonm » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 12:09 pm

Yep Sunday is fine just give me a call or text with a time when you know for sure. For OLT I would recommend a tent anyway. A mate and I walked the OLT looking for good hanging spots for future reference but we both came away saying a tent is the best option and we hang at every opportunity usually.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby Suz » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 6:34 pm

Thank you!
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides