Vango vs Exped Tents

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Vango vs Exped Tents

Postby Fozzie67 » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi all, I am part of a crew doing the OLT in late September and as such we need to be "tented" up ... I was looking at the Exped Venus .. but wow is it expensive .. ultimately I want to get a light 4 season tent that will keep us dry.. and I like the Exped where Iv you have to u can pitch the fly in the rain ... get in stay dry and pitch the insides ... so started looking at Vango... but would enjoy input from the more experienced... ideas views?
Fozzie67
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Vango vs Exped Tents

Postby neilmny » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 8:22 am

All quality 4 season tents are expensive to very expensive.
Light weight and 4 season don't really combine in the same tent although Tarptent might have something to offer.
The tent is part of your life preservation gear, specially in the snow and freezing winds you'll likely experience in September.
Make your choice based on that and be sure your choice will stand up to the conditions.

I have a Vango F10 Helium 200, it is very well made and very light but by no means a 4 season tent.
My point being the Vango's I've seen are well made. I don't know anything about the Exped tents.

All in one pitching is the go.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Strider » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 8:57 am

Light, strong, affordable. Pick two :|

A few more options:
Tarptent Scarp
One Planet Goondie
Big Sky International Revolution

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnrs » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 11:04 am

Hey Fozzie
There is an Exped in the classifieds here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23217&p=316522&hilit=EXPED#p316522
You don't really need a bomber tent for the,OLT, the platforms are sheltered
For a cheaper 4 season item look at a Terra Nova Hoolie.
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby warnabrother » Wed 22 Feb, 2017 4:02 pm

I have an Exped Venus 2 Extreme that has had a lot of use over the past 4 years.. a lot !!! and it is still in as new condition except for a few small holes in the mesh caused by me..

We also have a Vango 3 man that we use on the motorcycle.. it is about 1 year old and has been used about 10 times and is "showing its age" already.. floor starting to show wear, a few threads fraying and a few stitches starting to come loose..

The Vango was $300 and the Exped $900.. The Exped will and has already lasted over 3 times as long and is worth the money..

I like the buy once cry once instead of buy twice cry twice more :)
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kingsleythelost » Fri 17 Mar, 2017 1:58 pm

I have two of the goondies a single (1.6Kg) and a 3 person (2.7Kg) amongst other great tents. They are bullet proof and good for 4 seasons i can highly recommend. the price isn’t bad either.

The 3 person is extremely comfortable with two and still comfortable with 3 unlike many advertised three person tents. Im 6ft7 and fit easily length ways.

I recently did the OLT with the Goondie 1 it was overkill as we had 25 degree days with not a drop of rain ... Perfect...

Good luck!
Kingsleythelost
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment