Kathmandu Jardin/2 Jacket

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Kathmandu Jardin/2 Jacket

Postby cams » Wed 22 Feb, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi all. Looking at new rain jacket options and wondered if anyone has any thoughts on Kathmandu's current offerings. Probably specifically the Jardin v2. http://www.kathmandu.com.au/jardin-men- ... et-v2.html

Now, I haven't seriously considered Kathmandu gear for a long time, but someone suggested I check out their offerings for rain gear. They do seem to be offering something unique features wise at least with pit-zips, 3-layer goretex, slightly longer cut and surprisingingly light weight. The one feature missing that I've been looking for is hand-warmer pockets, but for the right price I could be convinced (read something coming up at an outlet store).

I haven't been to have a look at one in the flesh yet, but does anyone have any thoughts or experiences? ta
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Kathmandu Jardin/2 Jacket

Postby Neo » Wed 22 Feb, 2017 4:29 pm

Ive been happy with some of their T-shirts, polos and trousers when on special or outlet. The medium jacket is almost half a kilo but may suit your needs. Noticed BPL have a few specials at the moment and its end of winter season in the Northern hemisphere if you're shopping online.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby cams » Thu 23 Feb, 2017 8:40 am

Neo wrote:Ive been happy with some of their T-shirts, polos and trousers when on special or outlet. The medium jacket is almost half a kilo but may suit your needs. Noticed BPL have a few specials at the moment and its end of winter season in the Northern hemisphere if you're shopping online.

Thanks for the thoughts. I've had the opposite experience with the little bits I've bought from them over the last couple of years. Shorts with a built in belt that doesn't stay done up and a really stiff fly zip, tshirt is ok I suppose. Yeah, depending how long the cut is, that weight is on the light side compared to other similar long cut options which tend to vary between 600-800g.

I've got a lightweight short cut jacket that has been my only jacket for quite a few years, but want something towards the other end of the spectrum to compliment it. I'll check out some overseas sales, thanks.
cams

Postby Neo » Thu 23 Feb, 2017 4:11 pm

https://wildernesswear.com.au/clearance ... -mens-1817

There was a 'rain jacket sale'thread here a while ago and everyone seemed to like this one. Longer length, in most sizes but only green.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby roysta » Fri 24 Feb, 2017 7:29 am

You can get some good 'outdoor brand' jackets for $450.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta

Postby roysta » Fri 24 Feb, 2017 7:44 am

Try this
http://www.bogong.com.au/outdoor-clothi ... ket-1.html

roysta

Postby cams » Fri 24 Feb, 2017 8:23 am

Neo wrote:https://wildernesswear.com.au/clearance/strider-jacket-mens-1817

There was a 'rain jacket sale'thread here a while ago and everyone seemed to like this one. Longer length, in most sizes but only green.

Thanks. Yeah, I'd love to grab one of these. In most sizes except the two that may fit me. :(

roysta wrote:You can get some good 'outdoor brand' jackets for $450.

Yes. My point though is that this one actually has a set of features that is hard to find elsewhere. So if it isn't going to fall apart or fail in other ways. It could actually be a good option.

roysta wrote:Try this
http://www.bogong.com.au/outdoor-clothi ... ket-1.html

Could be a good option. Short cut though.

I came across the Sierra Designs Pack Trench yesterday. REI have it on clearance, so am thinking about grabbing it. Some interesting venting featues. Hood looks pretty lifeless, but could work in conjunction with a hat. https://sierradesigns.com/mens-pack-trench/ Or just save the cash and suck it up for a Mont Odyssey. hmm
cams

Postby roysta » Fri 24 Feb, 2017 8:28 am

If you're looking for an absolute bomb proof jacket look at the Mont Austral. It's a long cut, but doesn't have pit zips and is heavy.
That's not to say you couldn't have them put in.
My wife has the women's version.
http://www.bogong.com.au/mont-austral-j ... -blue.html
roysta

Postby Scottyk » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 6:41 am

I you want a proper jacket you'll want something longer than that Kathmandu option.
Mont Jackets are great, the Austral is a great bit of gear for Tasmanian conditions
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby leo » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 7:20 pm

I purchased this jacket for my son last summer (on sale) for hiking and skiing. It is not the lightest of jackets but it seems to be quality goretex and the extra length is great. However, he struggles to secure the hood adequately in heavy rain despite tweaking all pull cords, so quite a bit of water sneaks in through the neck opening. Just make sure you are happy with this feature before purchasing.
leo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby phs » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 7:42 pm

I have had a Jardin jacket for 4 years now truly a great jacket breaths great, waterproof, wind resistant and
Light weight, I have taken a few tumbles in it washed it a few times still like new I have a feeling it's a V1 ( yellow and gray )
phs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Sazy888 » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi all ive actually got a brand new kathmandu jardin jacket womens small sunset coloured for sale! Still with the tags on! I bought it for $700 and im selling it for cheap because ive just had it sitting there for ages. If anyone is interested please let me know cheers.
Sazy888
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby anis » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 12:05 pm

Sazy888 wrote:Hi all ive actually got a brand new kathmandu jardin jacket womens small sunset coloured for sale! Still with the tags on! I bought it for $700 and im selling it for cheap because ive just had it sitting there for ages. If anyone is interested please let me know cheers.

Hi Sazy888- I have a question about the Jardin. Is is a regular or relaxed fit, do you think?
anis
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby Strider » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 2:25 pm

anis wrote:
Sazy888 wrote:Hi all ive actually got a brand new kathmandu jardin jacket womens small sunset coloured for sale! Still with the tags on! I bought it for $700 and im selling it for cheap because ive just had it sitting there for ages. If anyone is interested please let me know cheers.

Hi Sazy888- I have a question about the Jardin. Is is a regular or relaxed fit, do you think?
Off topic but that is a really unfortunate username!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Sazy888 » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 10:14 pm

anis wrote:

Hi anis, i would say it is a regular fit but the size is a L. But it looks a bit smaller then a normal L. But i can send you more details about it if you like.
Sazy888
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment