Repackaging DEET

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Repackaging DEET

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Fri 24 Feb, 2017 8:25 am

So this has been discussed before.

DEET (especially the 80% strength) is pretty corrosive stuff, and can damage certain plastics like tent floors and technical apparel - including eating through zip lock bags etc.

I wanted to repackage a 100g tube of the stuff, because I use it very rarely but don't want to be caught out without it. Everything I read suggested the retail packaging has some special coating on the inside and people recommended against repackaging it, including the manufacturer.

I did lots of internet research and eventually found a website that said low density poly ethylene (LDPE) and even better high density poly ethylene (HDPE) is unaffected by DEET.

So I bought one of these in 15mL https://www.snowys.com.au/narrow-mouth-round-bottles after discovering these mini Nalgene bottles are actually made from HDPE.

I've stored about 5mL of DEET in one of these for 3 weeks with no damage to the bottle. I also took it on four airline flights, and the pressure changes did not cause any leaks (it was done up quite firmly).

I take no responsibility for damages arising, but it seems these bottles are a safe way to repackage DEET into smaller and lighter containers. Make sure you buy HDPE and you should be fine.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Re: Repackaging DEET

Postby Orion » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 2:50 am

Three weeks? I've had 100% DEET in the same 1oz HDPE Nalgene bottle for nearly 30 years. The bottle appears to be fine.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby MrsGypsy » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 8:55 pm

Where did you get 100% DEET??!!
"For today only!" - it is only ever this moment that counts...!
MrsGypsy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Orion » Wed 01 Mar, 2017 1:20 am

100% DEET is easy to find in the US.
Coleman, Sawyer, Repel, Ben's -- they all sell 100% DEET products.

https://www.rei.com/c/deet-based-insect ... ent&page=1

I always bring some with me on trips to Tasmania.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MrsGypsy » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 4:24 am

Thanks!
MrsGypsy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 8:55 am

I was reading a bunch about picaridin and permethrin. Apparently picaridin is as effective as DEET and won't damage gear.
Also going above 35% concentration of DEET isn't much more effective.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 10:24 am

Neo wrote:I was reading a bunch about picaridin and permethrin. Apparently picaridin is as effective as DEET and won't damage gear.
Also going above 35% concentration of DEET isn't much more effective.

A study published earlier this year in the Journal of Insect Science found that application of 98% DEET resulted in fewer mosquitoes attracted to test subjects than 40% DEET.

But even if that weren't always the case, it's generally understood that a higher concentration of DEET lasts longer. That's why I carry it. I need a much smaller bottle since I don't have to reapply it as often. And if I want a lower dose I wet my skin first with some water, apply a small amount of DEET and then smear it around.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 6:28 pm

Has anyone got some recent experience on DIY permethrin? I was looking into it but wasn't sure about trying it.
Just found this older thread about off the shelf permethrin:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7332

My question is if using the Chemspray product it leaves a lasting bad pong on clothing... I would aim for working out a 0.5% dilution as spray, same as the 'proper' Sawyer product. As opposed to using the packet strength on clothes.

Other info I've found is that the wrong solvent leaves a bad smell. The Chemspray has 'liquid hydrocarbons'. There is also a readily available powder called Coopex that is permethrin but without solvent. Apparently the official clothing treatments use a solvent to bond the permethrin to the fabric then evaporate.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby MrsGypsy » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 5:43 pm

Orion, how do you get REI to import the DEET to Australia?
MrsGypsy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby andrewa » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 7:45 pm

Neo wrote:Has anyone got some recent experience on DIY permethrin? I was looking into it but wasn't sure about trying it.
Just found this older thread about off the shelf permethrin:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7332

My question is if using the Chemspray product it leaves a lasting bad pong on clothing... I would aim for working out a 0.5% dilution as spray, same as the 'proper' Sawyer product. As opposed to using the packet strength on clothes.

Other info I've found is that the wrong solvent leaves a bad smell. The Chemspray has 'liquid hydrocarbons'. There is also a readily available powder called Coopex that is permethrin but without solvent. Apparently the official clothing treatments use a solvent to bond the permethrin to the fabric then evaporate.

I've done the permethrin soak for tents and clothes for West Coast Sth Island NZ fly fishing trips, to keep sandflies off. Works really well. We don't treat pants with it coz permethrin kills trout. I've given up on the 80% DEET, coz it melts my nail polish, numbs my lips, makes things taste bad. I now use dettol/tea tree oil and baby oil to keep sandflies off - works just as well, IMHO.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:19 am

MrsGypsy wrote:Orion, how do you get REI to import the DEET to Australia?

I don't. I live in California and bring it with me.

I believe REI will ship it there but it would be expensive. Perhaps there is a more affordable source (ebay?), but I don't know. It may be more sensible to accept what is available locally.

The lower concentration formulations do work. But I'm happy to be able to buy the 100% stuff. This year especially, as we've had record or near-record precipitation and snow. The mosquitoes are going to be horrendous. Maybe I should stock up on DEET now.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby blakey_ » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 12:09 pm

Neo wrote:Has anyone got some recent experience on DIY permethrin?

I recently (January) treated some clothing using Equip Debugger (550g/L) at the 10mL solution : 4L water ratio which ends up at 1.37g/L permethrin/water. No smell noticed on the clothes. Mozzie net strength was 21.15g/L, sheet strength was 8.66g/L

This time around I bought 'David Grays Ant and Termite Spray' from Bunnings, which is 100g/L, same permethrin 25:75 / hydrocarbon content as Equip, Chemspray etc, same strength as Chemspray, but cheaper price/plainer packaging ($15 for 500mL).

I will use this to re-treat my clothing for an upcoming trip, at the same strength, which is 55mL:4L of solution:water. For mosquito nets it would be 110mL:0.5L and for sheets 110mL:1.5L (all using strengths calculated from Equip dilutions.)

The David Grays packaging recommends for fabric and nets (not clothes):
Nylon: 75mL:500mL water (15g/L)
Cotton: 75mL:2L water (3.75g/L)

For the penny pinchers: 1 bottle of DG does ~5x the volume of 1 bottle of Equip at 60% of the cost, or ~8x cheaper.
blakey_
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment