Waist Pack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Waist Pack

Postby Neo » Thu 02 Mar, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi can anyone recommend a waist pack for day walks and what its like to wear?

I have a Camelbak MULE 3 litre which is good but I'm tired of the backpack sweaty back for short jaunts. I sometimes use a one litre bottle in a sling but thats for neighbourhood walks of an hour or so.

Their 1.5L bladder waist packs might do but look tricky to dry or clean.

I would want to fit a layer, mini first aid, some snacks and clip on a GPS as minimum. Two litres of water would be nice. I'm ok with adding bottles or soft platy ones.

Also in the rain I'm thinking a waist pack would be better for venting and getting a jacket on or off.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Waist Pack

Postby Strider » Thu 02 Mar, 2017 8:58 pm

Osprey Talon 4?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 12:46 pm

Army ALICE butt-pack old-school but effective
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 1:52 pm

Yeah a bit hefty.

Couldn't find a 4 in Australia so have ordered a Talon 6 to give it a go. Also a platy 1 litre so should be 2.2L of water onboard.

Comparing photos and videos with the new Flash Flo and a UD seems Osprey wins again on design for hip belt and useable space. Hope its not too big or acts like a sponge.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davidf » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 5:25 pm

I made a satchel type bag yeaars ago. Fitted a raincoat, thermals, whisperlite, pot, oats, wheelie bin liner. No back sweat. Used seat belt webbing.. when i see people with the laptop bags I smile.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MrsGypsy » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 6:01 am

Years ago I bought a large waist pack from a Kathmandu sale.
It has been very useful as a short walk alternative.
it has a very comfy waist belt with x2 adjustment straps, a smaller front zip pocket approx x1l, and the larger zip compartment which can fit my 3l camelback lumbar bladder + car keys. rain coat, phone, map/gps, dog bowl & bags, and some fruit!!
I can attach gear, and the dog leads, with carabiners to the waist straps.
One of those purchases that you get home and wonder if you will ever justify the impulsive indulgence with actual usefulness...!!
"For today only!" - it is only ever this moment that counts...!
MrsGypsy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby Neo » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 11:20 am

Rounding this off with a review of the Osprey Talon 6 if anyone searches later. Have used it on lots of day walks from 5 to 10km or so.
You get a type of hands-free sensation compared to wearing a daypack and it does help with venting a wet back.
It sits on my hips where my belt goes so I tighten the left strap more and the small buckle sits beside my belt buckle.
The hip padding doesn't wrap around the front of my bones but is still comfortable (seems to be an osprey/talon thing) and I forget that I'm wearing it.
The bottles are easy to get to and replace. I discovered a camelbak uv head unit can fit on these bottles well enough to activate the lamp. The one litre platy didn't fit into the main compartment easily unless it only had 750mls in it so I am reusing two wide mouth 500ml vitamin water bottles which gives me just over two litres capacity.
Hard to visualise its six litre volume but a sample of what I fit in there is: the extra litre, mini first aid, hat/beenie, tissues, a few muesli-type bars, zip locks if needed to waterproof anything, a gps in a hip pocket and a UL rain jacket, with a bit of space spare for small or flat items.
I have secured a midlayer using the two straps at the back. I have also secured trekking poles there but keep checking they haven't fallen. This carried fine except when bum sliding down rocks.
It sits fine above my glutes. I think it would bounce too much if you were running so they could add their trekking pole attachment and market it more for walking. I tried some rubber bands unsuccessfully so if I can pinch a toggle from something will try making a bungee pole attachment across my front.
The stretchy hip pockets are fine and the pack doesn't get in the way of swinging arms or poles. Have pushed through some regrowth and fallen branches without damage yet.
My XL rain jacket can hook over it at the back as it's only rain resistant.
Overall it has been a good alternative to a backpack even as the season cools.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eljimberino » Mon 01 May, 2017 1:38 pm

Wiggle sell Montane and Ultimate direction waist belts. The stereo groove is good one.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 May, 2017 4:38 pm

Neo wrote:...Osprey Talon 6....

Be a good way to carry the camera gear.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii