Gas canister getting kind of warm?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Gas canister getting kind of warm?

Postby andreoz » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 9:07 am

Hello everyone! I often read the blog and I always find something interesting!

Today I'm asking your opinion on something! I recently bought a camping burner (one of those that screw on top of the gas canister) and I tested today for the first time - I made a coffee for breakfast :) I noticed that after 2 - 3 min of usage, after I took it off the canister, the area where it was mounted it was kind of warm. I was wondering: will it be dangerous? If I have to cook a propper meal that has to sit there for 15 min what will happen?

I'm sure some of you have the same model as I do. Please tell me your opinion about it :)

I've attached a photo of it so maybe it helps to understand of which model I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Andre
Attachments
20170305_100416.jpg
andreoz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Gas canister getting kind of warm?

Postby roysta » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 9:49 am

Hi Andre, sounds pretty normal to me.
My stove head is too hot to handle at the base after the stove's been on.
I have a Snow Peak Giga auto.

Hope that helps.

Roy
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 10:00 am

If you can easily hold on to the canister it isn't too warm.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby madmacca » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 6:15 pm

Franco wrote:If you can easily hold on to the canister it isn't too warm.

Yep, if you can hold it/keep your hand on it, it should be within the specs of the cannister. If it is hot enough that you can't bear to keep your hand on it, then you have a problem.

Moistening the top of the cannister should reduce some of the heating problem.
madmacca

Postby Nuts » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 9:02 am

With the MSR shellite stoves came a thin Aluminium disc. It had a centre hole and split at the radius.. so it could be placed around the stove under the burner head to reflect the heat. You could make something similar?

As I recall the canisters are designated safe at only 50-60c? if so, you really don't want them notably hot (as mentioned).

Not familiar with that stove, also wouldn't trust that some of these manufacturers have necessarily designed or tested anything.

PS this:

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 10.28.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 10.28.05 AM.png (51.24 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Orion » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 9:46 am

You can't go just on the temperature of the canister metal nearest to the stove. That sometimes gets pretty hot even while the base of the canister is still relatively cool. What matters is how hot the fuel inside is since that determines the pressure. If the base is still easy to handle you're probably fine.

Here's a line from the DOT permit for Coleman gas canisters (the other brands are very similar):

"Test container may not distort (end may not reverse) at below 175 psig
or equivalent pressure at 160°F (71°C) (whichever is less), and may not burst
below 240 psig. The end must reverse before bursting."

I've never met anyone who has had a canister blow up. I suspect it takes some effort.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Nuts » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 10:14 am

Yes, fair call. We don't use these can top stoves much anymore though our cooking sessions can burn through entire canisters so perhaps a bit over cautious. I'd still be careful, if the whole can is 'hot' the top will be :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment