Hilleberg

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hilleberg

Postby Dutchy » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi guys, I have a Hilleberg Nallo 2 Gt and thinking if selling it for a more spacious Hilleberg. Problem is, you can't just go and see them for yourself. So I was hoping that someone who owns one near Melbourne is equally passionate about them and happy to show his/her tent off! Of interest to me are: Nammatj 3gt, Keron 3, Kaitum 3gt, Tarra, Staika. If anyone has one and happy to have me come and have a look, let me know!!
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Hilleberg

Postby andrewa » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 7:46 pm

It does get difficult sorting out what you're buying, but it largely comes down to expected use.

I have a Nallo 2 GT, and a 3 GT. The 3 is perfect for 2 people. The 2 is tight - like sardine tight. The extended vestibule is great on either . I use the 2GT by myself in the snow.

I use them in the snow for weekends. The tail end of the Nallo tends to collapse under snowfall, so the Kaitum , with its higher tail end would be better if doing longer snow trips where it might snow heavily (these days my trips are mostly weekends, so I compromise).

The Nammatj appears to be the best from a balance of wind proof/snow fall, but heavier.

Having done a lot of ski touring over the years:

I am happy with my Nallo GTs for weekends, or possibly longer trips in winter, but would expect some issues with clearing snow from them if it was falling heavily. We've had weekends on Bogong with 90kph winds - it was noisy, and moved around a lit, but stayed up. They gave a big footprint though

If I was after a tent for longer winter trips where you could expect heavier snow fall, I'd probably choose the Kaitum GT, and if I was after a lighter smaller tent for windy snowy conditions, prob the Namnatj.

For expedition stuff, I have no idea.

The extended vestibule on any of them makes a huge difference to life.

It's all the weight vs space vs wind/snow shedding balance. I'm happy for my Ozzie all season pursuits with a Nallo 3GT for 2, or a Kathmandhu geodesic dome with 2 vestibules @ 10.5 lbs for 3.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 9:01 pm

Sim1oz has the Keron GT and I was impressed with it but if I was buying for Australias snow country I'd be going straight for the Saitaris
But REI have a real sweet deal at the moment of the big MSR Stormking

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... mking-tent
Don't discount the extra space until you have had to wait out a 3 day blow
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bimberiman » Thu 09 Mar, 2017 12:39 pm

Interestingly, I'm thinking of moving in the opposite direction with my Hilleberg, ie spacious to more compact. :-)

I have a one year old, sand Keron 3 that I'm seriously considering selling because I find I'm using it by myself more often than not.

So I too am looking at a Hilleberg size change. Not sure to what yet... maybe Nammatj? or Soulo?

I'd ask about a possible swap for your Nallo 2 GT but I know from experience with a Nallo 3GT that I'd struggle with headroom with the sloping roof. Being 6'3" has it's disadvantages.

I love the Keron 3 but don't need the size. For me the strengths of the Keron 3 are:
1. ceiling height is constant for the whole length. eg The Nallo 3 has the same max height but ONLY right at the door. It really is spacious in the Keron 3.
2. a door/vestibule at each end. Storage is great and I love not having my feet at a sloping roof.
3 it's *&%$#! tough.

Want to buy an excellent condition Keron 3? ;-)

Ralph
My Keron 3 in Namadgi NP and in Tassie
Keron 3 Nammadgi.jpg
Hilleberg Keron 3 in Namadgi NP, ACT. This was it's first ever pitch when new so all the fine creases in the fabric have now gone.

Keron 3 Tassie.jpg
Hilleberg Keron 3 Wall of Jerusalem, Tassie
Last edited by bimberiman on Thu 09 Mar, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bimberiman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby benjabimon » Thu 09 Mar, 2017 12:54 pm

I know exactly what you mean, it is kind of hard to know. It's one thing to look at a spec sheet, but quite another to see it in person. I am thinking of getting a Kaitum 3 GT, but would love to see what it is like in person.

edit: I missed the photos on the Keron 3 earlier, but I have to ask, as I like the idea of the beefier material and poles in this tent over the Kaitum... You wrote that there is plenty of storage for the tent. So would you say that the two vestibules add up to enough space for example, two people in winter conditions? Does it leave enough room to get in and out of the tent (preferably through both entrances) without needing to perform acrobatics to get over your gear?

Last edited by benjabimon on Fri 10 Mar, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 7:22 am

It's one of those big questions if you camp above the snowline.
Minimise the mass or carry the extra for the comfort.
I always whinge and moan about the weight of my Plateau until the weather socks in, then I am always glad I carried the extra kilo and a half.
For snow I think the extra weight of the GT is worthwhile as is carrying a tent one size larger than the minimum.
Fairydown called the Plateau a 3 person tent but that is for mountaineering where you expect to be cramped up, it's a good size for two with winter sleeping bags and nice for one when the weather socks in
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dutchy » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 6:19 pm

It's a tricky one indeed!

My Nallo 2 GT:
nice and light (relatively)
strong enough for most conditions
Large vestibule
but.....
condensation issues nearly year round (2 people in it)
tight squeeze inside the inner length wise for me (6ft1) and wet walls are a nightmare in winter
not freestanding

The Tarra is
freestanding
better vestilation
strong as hell
bit short but good height throughout...
but
heavy at 4.3 kg
are the vestibules user friendly? We generally shed winter gear in the vestibule...covered and warmer than outside and plenty of room to get changed. It'll be fine for storage, but getting changed in it would be a challenge i'd say

Nammatj 3 GT
better internal space than the Nallo
awesome vestibule
stronger than the Nallo
but
about the maximum weight I'd wanna carry
still has a sloped inner....will it be all that much difference to a Nallo??

Keron 3
Great internal space
Strong
but
are the vestibules as useful as the GT's? No getting changed in those, just storage
at the maximum weight too....

Kaitum 3 GT
Great internal space
Vestibule
but
massive footprint.... I sometimes already find the Nallo too long, no hope with a Kaitum 3GT

I'd considered a Staika, but then the Tarra makes more sense to me for the better space.... The Allak is small inside... A Keron 3 GT is too heavy....

I've been in deadlock for 3 months now... and not getting anywhere... I really need to see some in person...

Do i keep the Nallo for the occasional solo trip, or better buy a proper 1 person tent like the Soulo...

A used Keron 3? Despite the sand colour, at the right price i might be tempted....
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 6:57 pm

I have the Tarra. Looks like you already have a reasonable idea of pros and cons but let me know if any specific questions I may be able to answer.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Dutchy » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 7:00 pm

nq111 wrote:I have the Tarra. Looks like you already have a reasonable idea of pros and cons but let me know if any specific questions I may be able to answer.

Whats the internal space like? The Nallo feels cramped. And i know the vestibules are nothing like a GT, but can you get changed in there? Have you had condensation issues with 2 people?
Not in Melbourne by any chance?
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 8:28 pm

Dutchy wrote:Whats the internal space like? The Nallo feels cramped.

I think it is ok. I am 6'4" and often share it with a 6'7" mate. He finds it a tad too short in length, I find it fine.

Dutchy wrote:And i know the vestibules are nothing like a GT, but can you get changed in there?

Mmmm - I have never tried as so much easier to change in the actual tent. It is certainly big enough at the end to put your wet weather gear and footwear on. Especially since you can have your pack and junk at the other end. No the space isn't huge but it is plenty big enough for gear and to cook in. I used to have a north face mountain 25 which has the big vestibule at one end and never got changed in there either. I prefer the two slightly smaller ends of the Tarra over the big and small of the North Face.

Dutchy wrote:Have you had condensation issues with 2 people?

Any tent will get condensation in the right conditions (I get it in a tarp over a hammock sometimes!) but overall I would say it is a very good tent for minimising condensation.

Dutchy wrote:Not in Melbourne by any chance?

Sorry, over 2,000km away.

The tent is very solid - yes heavy. It is sort of bunker you can retreat into in nearly any conditions and be safe and comfortable.
nq111

Region: Queensland

Postby markg » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 10:12 pm

I think you would still be lacking in vestibule space with the Tarra due to the slope of it. Although inside the walls are steeper. Most Hilleberg GT versions have oodles more useable space. But it comes at a price of weight. Pretty sure the North Face would have been up there in weight too.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Dutchy » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 9:47 am

The reason we get changed in the vestibule is the condensation in the Nallo and cramped space.... if we'd get changed inside on a snow trip, wet be soaked by the time we'd be dressed. After we had condensation issues with the mesh inner in summer in the high country (water dripping down inside the mesh tent from the fly) I was over it . we had all vents open and use a footprint... Freestanding tents don't seem to have the dripping issue as much as the water runs off the fly much better. So if condensation is less of an issue, a smaller vestibule might be ok...
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bimberiman » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 12:48 pm

I think whichever tent you go with, if it has significantly more interior volume (eg Keron 3 ;-) ) you'd have much less of an issue with a) touching the sides and b) condensation in the first place. Especially if the tent has more than one vent as quite a few (actually all of them) on your shortlist do.

I can't imagine two people trying to get changed in a Nallo 2 in challenging weather.
bimberiman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:31 pm

bimberiman wrote:I can't imagine two people trying to get changed in a Nallo 2 in challenging weather.

One of the things I love about my Nallo is being able to strip off in the vestibule when I'm soaking wet, thus keeping all the wet gear and clothes there rather than letting them in the tent. Helps to reduce dampness inside. And that's just a standard Nallo (albeit a single not-that-big person).
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Dutchy » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:19 am

Anyone near Hobart or Launceston have any of the models discussed?? I'm coming to Tassie the 13th and 14th of March...
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 11:05 am

Dutchy wrote:Anyone near Hobart or Launceston have any of the models discussed?? I'm coming to Tassie the 13th and 14th of March...

You could contact the feller with the Gumtree store
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dutchy » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 1:27 pm

They don't display, they only order them in as needed. Only have a Nammatj 2 GT in stock and they want to keep it in the bag
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 2:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:They don't display, they only order them in as needed. Only have a Nammatj 2 GT in stock and they want to keep it in the bag

Very poor customer service on his part.
Have you thought about tackling this a different way?
Keep you current tent and pack a simple LW pyramid or tarp shelter for the extra room?
I have done this for years using my old Megamids plus my Moss Tent-Wing
3F-UL make a really big tarp shelter I would consider seriously; especially if I wanted to join 2 tents together
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sim1oz » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 8:49 pm

MD was close, but not quite correct. We have the the Kaitum 2GT http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/red-label-tents/kaitum-2-gt/.

The length/width/height is fine for our 186 and 156cm heights, and the extended vestibule is spacious, especially with the pit dug just next to door to inner.

We are in Melbourne if you want to have a look, but I know ours wasn't on your shortlist.

DSCN1638 - Reduced.JPG
Pretty Valley, 2016
DSCN1638 - Reduced.JPG (167.21 KiB) Viewed 14637 times
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dutchy » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 7:06 pm

I've looked at the Kaitum GT... But it becomes even longer than the Nallo GT and it becomes so big! And the 3 is 1.85 wide, where most other 3 person ones are 1.60... But the 2 is like the Nallo, and i just find it a bit cramped with the hanging inner....
And I might be moving to Tassie, so now i have to throw platform camping in the mix.... The Tarra is starting to sound more and more like the tent of choice....
Where in Melbourne are you located? just in case ;-)
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 8:17 am

Tarra would definitely be easier. Even my Nallo 2 has trouble fitting on some of the smaller platforms in the WArthurs.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Travis22 » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 1:18 pm

bimberiman wrote:
So I too am looking at a Hilleberg size change. Not sure to what yet... maybe Nammatj? or Soulo?

Being 6'3" has it's disadvantages.

I think you would find the Soulo too small if your 6'3". Your head and feet would be touching the inner or very very close, if you have a big winter sleeping bag etc it would deff be crammed inthere.

I love my Soulo, however its small and heavy and it suffers from bad condensation too most of the time in the Vic high country. Theres no doubt tho if i had to pick a tent to be in during the worst weather imaginable the Soulo would be the one.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby Andrew » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 7:22 pm

Probably too late but I have a Soulo (1 man freestanding 2.35kg) and an Allak (2 man freestanding 3.26kg) and love them both and happy to show them off.
25 minutes from Launceston.
I love them being freestanding and bombproof (snow no worries and super windy no problem).
I nearly lost my good quality previous tent on a week long solo fly-fishing trip and decided to step up to Hilleberg for any high-country trips.
Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment