Klymit Static V UL mat Massdrop

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Klymit Static V UL mat Massdrop

Postby Drew » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 1:44 pm

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x ... ultralight

I've been thinking of getting a warmer mat and just stumbled across this on Massdrop. Seems crazy cheap compared to alternatives of similar R value and weight. I know Klymit seems to be gaining a small foothold in the Australian market. Anyone used one? Thoughts?
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Klymit Static V UL mat Massdrop

Postby Bill P » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 5:26 pm

I got the previous Klymit model from Massdrop in December. It has a different valve. I think the current version would be quicker to deflate, and i like the 3/4 lenght which is now available. I got the pillow too which is good.

I am quite happy with the Klymit mat and pillow from Massdrop despite them blowing out a couple of weeks ago due to overheating.

They were substantially cheaper than the exped or thermarest alternatives.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sprsly » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 6:25 pm

Just to clarify, Bill has the sleeping pad you linked there. The current version he is referring to is this one:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-k ... tralight-v

I bought the new version from the last drop, but it won't arrive till June.. If you're not in a hurry for it I'll be happy to post up a review/first impression once it lands on my doorstep
sprsly
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Drew » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Well, I'd need to get it well before June for a trip to Sth America, so I'd have to make do with the older valve design. I can handle a slow deflation I guess!

I am quite happy with the Klymit mat and pillow from Massdrop despite them blowing out a couple of weeks ago due to overheating.

That sounds bad! What happened? Leave it inflated in a hot car or something?
Drew

Postby Bill P » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 8:59 pm

I left it in a collapsed tent on a 20 deg day. The new tent i have uses a trekking pole as a tent pole and I took the pole out and simply went for a day walk. The mats seem to be readily repaired though.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 2:12 pm

I left it in a collapsed tent on a 20 deg day. The new tent i have uses a trekking pole as a tent pole and I took the pole out and simply went for a day walk. The mats seem to be readily repaired though.

Wow. That's concerning. Nevertheless, I'm joining the drop and ordering one for my partner and one for me. A weight saving and some extra warmth for both of us. I'll just be sure never to leave it inflated in a hot tent!
Drew

Postby keithy » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 7:45 pm

I've got one of the Massdrop exclusive Static V Insulated Ultralight mats from August last year. I also have the older basic Klymit Static V.

When packed the Ultralight one is a bit smaller (and smaller diameter), but is skinnier when inflated (51cm vs 58cm on the normal static V). The R value is higher at 4.4, and it is lighter (480g vs 515g).

I used the Insulated UL around 5C and it was ok. Compared with a self inflating Thermarest I have with an R value of 4.6, I found I got a better sleep on the inflated Klymit mat.

The skinny mat might be an issue if you are bigger though, and your arms might fall off the sides.

Here are some packed pics against a stubby - the Insulated UL is shorter when packed in the stuff sack (I didn't squish it down in the pic).

Static V vs Static V Ultralight Insulated Front.JPG

Static V vs Static V Ultralight Insulated Side.JPG
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby Drew » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks Keithy. I'll be wanting it to keep me warm at much lower temps than 5C! For years I've often got a little bit cold when temps get close to zero, due largely to my mat (Thermarest Prolite, R2.2) I realised some time ago. It'll be good to finally cut out that weak link!
Drew

Postby cams » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:03 am

I've got the older massdrop version with the valve on the end. I'd much prefer the current model with the flat valve, but I'll keep using it. I've used it for about 5 nights so far. Not exactly sure what sort of temps I've had it to. Probably around 5 ish. I got a little cold on the most recent trip, but not sure if it was the mats fault. I was using my sleeping bag open on top of me as a quilt, and I'm wondering if this mat should really be used with a bag underneath too. Anyone got any thoughts on this? It doesn't have the big holes like other Klymit mats, but I think the bits between the air pipes are single layer.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the comfort. Overall quite happy with it so far.
cams

Region: Tasmania

Postby Drew » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 8:43 am

I was using my sleeping bag open on top of me as a quilt, and I'm wondering if this mat should really be used with a bag underneath too. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks cams. The idea behind quilts is that with a conventional sleeping bag the insulation that you lie on top of is crushed flat and therefore doesn't provide any benefit. A proper quilt (unlike a normal sleeping bag opened up) can be attached to straps to bring it in close to your body, so that you are completely wrapped up, just like in a normal sleeping bag.

I don't know if the Klymit's R4.4 rating is an estimate or a properly tested rating, but the type of sleeping bag used shouldn't affect the R rating.
Drew

Postby cams » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:44 am

Drew wrote:
I was using my sleeping bag open on top of me as a quilt, and I'm wondering if this mat should really be used with a bag underneath too. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks cams. The idea behind quilts is that with a conventional sleeping bag the insulation that you lie on top of is crushed flat and therefore doesn't provide any benefit. A proper quilt (unlike a normal sleeping bag opened up) can be attached to straps to bring it in close to your body, so that you are completely wrapped up, just like in a normal sleeping bag.

I don't know if the Klymit's R4.4 rating is an estimate or a properly tested rating, but the type of sleeping bag used shouldn't affect the R rating.

Thanks Drew. I'm aware of the theory behind the use of quilts vs sleeping bags. Klymit make some other mats that deliberately have voids in the mat to make them lighter and rely on using a sleeping bag that will then loft into these voids to provide full insulation underneath.

The static V model doesn't have these large voids, but the "valleys" between the air beams are a single layer of material with no air or insulation. Kind of like sewn through jackets or sleeping bags vs baffled. My quandary is if even this design relies somewhat on using a sleeping bag below you?
cams

Postby Drew » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 2:13 pm

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Interesting thought. Well I have a conventional sleeping bag for winter and a quilt for summer, so I'll be able to compare!
Drew

Postby Drew » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 8:24 pm

I used the new mat over Easter. I found it very comfy for the most part but incredibly slippery. I seem to be combining the slipperiest mat in the world with the slipperiest tent floor in the world (Tarptent). Even on flat ground my partner and I both found ourselves sliding all over the place. On the one night we had a slight slope it was a disaster! It's also slippery on top, so sleeping bags and pillows slide off it!

I did put a few silicon dots on the floor of the tent when I seam sealed it but it's nowhere near enough. I think I'll do lengthways strips on the mats and some horizontal strips on the tent floor. And some on top of the mats too maybe? It's ridiculous - why can't the manufacturers do something about this?

Apart from the slipperiness, mostly good, if a little narrow (although maybe the narrowness wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't sliding off it). We had one night around -1. I woke a little cold but I am a cold sleeper I think. My partner didn't find it very comfy, although she's not sure why.
Drew

Postby cams » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 9:00 am

Interesting. I haven't found it super slippery. Maybe just no worse than the neo air I was using previously. I have sideways strips across the floor of our scarp2 though. I slept on it 4 nights over easter. Overall I got good nights sleep. One night I got a little cold because I think it deflated a bit maybe from pressure diff on the first night. Given that it isn't the thickest mat ever there isn't much room for error with losing air.

Not sure what temps we got down to. Maybe close to 0. I was using my lighter sleeping bag supplemented with down pants and jacket if needed, so can't comment on the potential quilt issue further.

All that said, I did lie on my Wife's winterlite synthetic briefly. Man, it felt super cushy in comparison. I may just end up getting one of them so we can share the inflator bag too.
cams

Return to Equipment