Trangia Storm Cooker - ONGOING

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Trangia Storm Cooker - ONGOING

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Wed 17 May, 2017 4:30 pm

RonK wrote:
LuxLuthor05 wrote:As far as the "oh really" goes: I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but it sounds as if you are implying that pointing the holes to the wind is bad....... this would put you in disagreement with Trangia.

Nope, I think it's quite clear that I'm refering to your assertion that wind improves performance is "simply fantastic", hence the warning. You may not think it so fantastic if you have a meltdown.

Oh, and this meltdown did not occur because it was “dry cooking". The stove was being used to cook porridge at the time. And it was windy.

You seem pretty stand-off-ish for an advice and discussion thread.... Nonetheless, it seems maybe you didn't actually read my full comment. Again: If the holes are not directed into the wind, then you end up with a back flow that causes melting - That is simply user error. I can't bad mouth a good product simply because plenty of people don't bother to read the directions.
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby RonK » Wed 17 May, 2017 6:07 pm

LuxLuthor05 wrote:You seem pretty stand-off-ish for an advice and discussion thread.... Nonetheless, it seems maybe you didn't actually read my full comment. Again: If the holes are not directed into the wind, then you end up with a back flow that causes melting - That is simply user error. I can't bad mouth a good product simply because plenty of people don't bother to read the directions.

Let me quote from your original post when you started this thread.

LuxLuthor05 wrote:I would like THIS thread to be about ANYTHING that people want to know, or ANYTHING that people want to offer in the way of TRANGIA information.... SHARE your ideas, tips/advice, opinions, personal experiences...

You raised the topic of using the Trangia in the wind. Since in your own words this is an advice and discussion thread it would have been timely to mention that this can have unexpected consequences. You didn't. I did.

This was intended as a warning, but apparently any comment which vaguely resembles a criticism is not welcome and met with resentment.

The owner of the melted stove was quite aware that the holes should be directed into the wind. He was unable to explain the meltdown, but speculated that the wind may have shifted while attending campsite chores. His original post and subsequent discussion starts here. He also quoted the same section from the Trangia FAQ as you did in a later post.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Thu 18 May, 2017 8:57 am

RonK wrote:He was unable to explain the meltdown, but speculated that the wind may have shifted while attending campsite chores

As I said, this sounds like purely user error, and not a fault in the product. It is admirable that he was quick to admit his mistake. Mistakes happen, and at least we know this was an easily avoidable incident, and hopefully serves as a warning to others... extinguish any flames before focusing your attention elsewhere (especially in the bush... As Australians, we know the dangers of this all too well).

I'm about to inherit a 360 Degrees screw in gas stove, and am looking forward to doing some proper snow and altitude performance comparisons next to the Trangia 27 - hopefully this winter - and I'll post those results when I have them (fingers crossed I can find the time :roll: ... I'm anticipating a busy six months ahead). I know the alcohol stoves are widely reported to function more reliably at altitude, but has anybody here actually done any side by side comparisons yet? I also normally mix 10% water with my metho to reduce soot as per advice from Trangia (it really works!)... I am interested to see how much this affects sub-zero temp performance (if at all). Perhaps there is somebody here who can shed some light on that for me.
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Thu 25 May, 2017 10:44 am

Spotted this adapter kit at Paddy Pallin, for converting Trangia to take remote fuel source with the Optimus Nova burner. Many would be aware of this already, but until now I thought this was a DIY mod - not so.

http://www.paddypallin.com.au/opt-tran-adap.html
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Thu 25 May, 2017 7:25 pm

Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Previous

Return to Equipment