Trangia Storm Cooker - ONGOING

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Trangia Storm Cooker - ONGOING

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 9:49 am

Hi guys,

I just bought my first Trangia 27 series (have always borrowed ones belonging to family members until now)... After a quick search, I couldn't find a trangia based thread that was intended for continuing discussion and idea sharing regarding the (arguably) most popular and timeless classic portable stove: Trangia Stormcooker. Let's get some ongoing discussion happening!

I've noticed LOTS of threads disputing SPECIFIC points about the Trangia, on various different forums. Most of these pick one specific argument (ie is it really light enough? Or is it too slow when compared to JetBoil and MSR pocket burners?) I would like THIS thread to be about ANYTHING that people want to know, or ANYTHING that people want to offer in the way of TRANGIA information.... SHARE your ideas, tips/advice, opinions, personal experiences... I'm sure there are more than enough Trangia loyals out there to make this a good productive thread.

To start: I have trialed my new Trangia at home, in 'perfect' conditions, although now wind to enter the base wind holes (I presume these would assist in providing oxygen to help achieve a hotter flame, and perhaps a faster boil.....). As yet, I have only boiled 500ml of water in two different tests. I found that 500ml in a hard anodized pot, would boil in 6 min 30 sec if there was NO LID, and the burner was preheated. The same quantity of water, with the same starting temperature, and the same burner preheating, boiled in 4 min 15 sec WITH LID (fry pan as lid). This is a pretty significant efficiency boost, and it is good to know that roughly 30% less fuel should be needed for boiling water if you make use of a lid. I am yet to test the 600ml kettle, as I have not yet purchased that component. I am super excited to get this cooker out on (and off) the tracks.
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Trangia Storm Cooker - ONGOING

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 8:06 am

Did you get the metho or gas burner? (or both?)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 11:25 am

I got the metho (spirit burner), as the gas burner is incredibly hard to find in Australia, and I purchased straight from my local Paddy Pallin. I'm thinking the spirit burner should do everything I need it to, as metho can be bought almost anywhere, and is very cheap, and efficient for the price and space it takes up. Next purchase will most likely be the Trangia brand Fuel Bottle, with the pour control lid. I've found that the Spirit burner can be awkward to top up while still warm, if you don't want to touch it (the metho is easily spilled). If I decide I want the gas burner later, it should be easy to find when I'm in the states in 2018 :)
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rurik » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 1:45 pm

The Gas Burner does not meet the Australian Standards. Which is odd because the Primus Omnifuel (which is what the Trangia Multifuel is based on) does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 2:26 pm

rurik wrote:The Gas Burner does not meet the Australian Standards. Which is odd because the Primus Omnifuel (which is what the Trangia Multifuel is based on) does.

The Trangia gas burner is sold in Australia, though the Trangia X2 multifuel burner is not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 3:04 pm

I have both a Trangia fuel bottle and a gas burner, neither of which I'm likely to use again. You're welcome to them - at a reasonable price.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Mark F » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 4:07 pm

rurik wrote:The Gas Burner does not meet the Australian Standards.

All that means is that the importer has chosen not to pay the dollars required to have the unit tested and certified.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rurik » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 4:21 pm

Strider wrote:
rurik wrote:The Gas Burner does not meet the Australian Standards. Which is odd because the Primus Omnifuel (which is what the Trangia Multifuel is based on) does.

The Trangia gas burner is sold in Australia, though the Trangia X2 multifuel burner is not.

When I brought mine the gas burner had removed from sale because it did not meet the standard. They had been sold for a period of time then had to be withdrawn from sale. This could of changed but I have not seen them for sale since then.

rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rurik » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 4:23 pm

Mark F wrote:
rurik wrote:The Gas Burner does not meet the Australian Standards.

All that means is that the importer has chosen not to pay the dollars required to have the unit tested and certified.

If this is the case how does someone know that they meet the required standard? The answer is you don't and anything else is just alternative truth.

rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mark F » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 4:47 pm

rurik wrote:If this is the case how does someone know that they meet the required standard? The answer is you don't and anything else is just alternative truth.

I would trust the Swedish/EU standards that the burner must meet to be sold in Europe to be at least the equivalent of the AU standards although I expect there is nothing wrong with the AU standards. Chinese made products - I would be more circumspect.

As a long time Trangia user - pre gas burners - I now consider the unit has been superseded by technology. It is a robust and incredibly reliable stove but at almost a kilo in weight I have moved on. My pot with cosy, stove and wind shield weighs far less than the Trangia gas burner alone.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 5:02 pm

Mark F wrote:As a long time Trangia user - pre gas burners - I now consider the unit has been superseded by technology. It is a robust and incredibly reliable stove but at almost a kilo in weight I have moved on. My pot with cosy, stove and wind shield weighs far less than the Trangia gas burner alone.

I completely agree with you that the classic trangia is no longer the lightest/best option for a solo or independent hiker.... However, I had to take my partner into consideration when deciding on a good stove/eating setup. I found that the 27 Series trangia with chopping board, kettle for fast boiling (sanitizing) of water to go in my Nalgene bottle (which can handle liquids at boiling temperature), the ability to keep one pot/bowl of food warm whilst cooking another, AND the fact that the pots are equal in capacity and make good bowls (saving on the need to buy eating bowls, as we just add a second pot grabber handle), made the Trangia by far the lightest GOOD option for our needs/wants. I wouldn't want to carry two bowls in addition to our cooking pot/pan set-up. Even if another option might come in 100g lighter, it's a small price to pay for the added nostalgia that comes with using a trangia stormcooker :).
Two pots (and two bowls), one pan, burner, chopping board/strainer/snowstand/lid, windshield, two pot/bowl handles, all comes to under 1KG, and I'm perfectly happy with that for two people :)
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 8:44 am

I usually use a smaller/lighter stove kit when out bush these days. However, I do still take the Trangia when walking with a larger group who is sharing catering and food. I occasionally cook for groups of 4 on the Trangia, and can cater for up to 6 people at a time (although I usually prefer not to walk with groups that large it does happen from time to time).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Strider » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 9:18 am

rurik wrote:
Strider wrote:

When I brought mine the gas burner had removed from sale because it did not meet the standard. They had been sold for a period of time then had to be withdrawn from sale. This could of changed but I have not seen them for sale since then.

http://www.bogong.com.au/trangia-gas-burner-gb74.html

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rurik » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 12:07 pm

Strider wrote:
rurik wrote:
Strider wrote:[quote="rurik"]The Gas Burner does not meet the Australian Standards. Which is odd because the Primus Omnifuel (which is what the Trangia Multifuel is based on) does.

http://www.bogong.com.au/trangia-gas-burner-gb74.html

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk[/quote]

Out of stock and has been for years

rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rurik » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 12:10 pm

Mark F wrote:
rurik wrote:If this is the case how does someone know that they meet the required standard? The answer is you don't and anything else is just alternative truth.

I would trust the Swedish/EU standards that the burner must meet to be sold in Europe to be at least the equivalent of the AU standards although I expect there is nothing wrong with the AU standards. Chinese made products - I would be more circumspect.

You are still making an assumption. You don't know.

rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mark F » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 2:12 pm

rurik, what I do know is that the Trangia gas burner complies with the following standards prEN 521 (EU and Nordic) and CAN-11.2-M79 (Canada/US). http://trangia.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/742527-gas-burner.pdf You seem to be relying on the word of a shop assistant; a source that many of us have found over the years to often provide "alternative truth" in many situations.

My "alternative truth" is that the agent, or possibly a retailer through a grey import channel, brought some in and didn't get the Australian compliance approval. They got caught out an had to withdraw them. The cost of getting compliance approval is very high and requires regular renewal with yet more cost and any change in the product requires complete retesting, fee paying etc. The importer has to balance the cost of this against the number of units likely to be sold and make a commercial decision. They obviously chose not to proceed.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rurik » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 10:07 pm

Mark F wrote:rurik, what I do know is that the Trangia gas burner complies with the following standards prEN 521 (EU and Nordic) and CAN-11.2-M79 (Canada/US). http://trangia.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/742527-gas-burner.pdf You seem to be relying on the word of a shop assistant; a source that many of us have found over the years to often provide "alternative truth" in many situations.

My "alternative truth" is that the agent, or possibly a retailer through a grey import channel, brought some in and didn't get the Australian compliance approval. They got caught out an had to withdraw them. The cost of getting compliance approval is very high and requires regular renewal with yet more cost and any change in the product requires complete retesting, fee paying etc. The importer has to balance the cost of this against the number of units likely to be sold and make a commercial decision. They obviously chose not to proceed.

I got my info from Marlin Bergman who works for Trangia dealing with international sales who told me there were issues with the product getting compliance. Not some shop assistant. As someone who has commercially imported other products that met compareable EU standards (in this case it was electronic brewing equipment which has a higher standard then AU) also we had to show was the compliance certificates for the EU to get Aus approval. We could not get approval for gas equipment in that way because the EU standard was a lower.

However it is clear you are going to believe what you are going to believe and nothing I say is going to change your mind.

rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mark F » Fri 17 Mar, 2017 12:24 pm

rurik - mea culpa. I am happy to accept your version of events based on the source of your information.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 6:59 pm

I've had a Trangia cook set for over 20 years. Still going strong, but I only use it these days when I'm either car camping or doing simple overnighters and want to do more complicated meals for more than one person.

I use metho all the way and budget 100mL per person per day. A bit excessive but it allows me to have warm powdered milk on my muesli - living the dream!

When I'm hiking by myself I either just use the Trangia burner or either a tuna can stove or a coke can stove. I'm usually only boiling water so nothing complicated is required. Note for the "gram weenies" - a Diet Coke can should be a lot lighter than full strength!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Mark F » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 1:24 pm

There is a Trangia Gas Burner - no pots etc - just appeared on Gumtree. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/isaacs/camping-hiking/trangia-gas-converter/1146046536
Last edited by Mark F on Tue 25 Apr, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 2:33 pm

Won't almost any remote head fit inside a trangia windscreen??
While I have never used them myself they are still the go-to for most school and Outdoor Ed groups I meet during the winter
In winter reliability beats weight most every time, alsp liability issues there naturally.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby missingdna » Sat 06 May, 2017 8:23 pm

i had a trangia copy.... liked it..... bought a jetboil... loved it. Have owned other gas stoves that i prefered so sold the jetboil. Bought a 8r and am sooo in love :D
So many different platforms to cook on.... so many lines of thought regarding efficiency, speed, ease of use and longevity. I still have the trangia copy and love how u can chop and change out cooking pots etc for the trips needs.
Ive found the r8 to be a favorite.... even keep it n the work truck for a lunch coffee boil. Still cant go past the fool proof trangia though. Timeless cookware.
missingdna
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 07 May, 2017 1:52 pm

Moondog55, you have it right, not only is it reliability, but fuel is cheap, less waste (no partial butane cans laying around) and the fact that its a self contained set makes it far easier for the students to clean and care for. They are far safer for the kids to use than a shellite or kero stove, with no seals to leak or pumps to break.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 09 May, 2017 2:51 pm

Just wondering which remote stove works best with the larger windshield?
I'm thinking about my proposed winter trip to Canada and Alaska.
The schools are all about minimsing the risk of being sued but waiting an extra 20 minutes for dinner simply means better appetites
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 09 May, 2017 4:04 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Just wondering which remote stove works best with the larger windshield?
I'm thinking about my proposed winter trip to Canada and Alaska.
The schools are all about minimsing the risk of being sued but waiting an extra 20 minutes for dinner simply means better appetites

Does this help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCJ62gIh0s
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 09 May, 2017 4:33 pm

Yes Thanx
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Wed 17 May, 2017 9:10 am

Moondog55 wrote:Just wondering which remote stove works best with the larger windshield?

Hi mate, hopefully I can help a little bit here:

Unprotected gas stoves will always suffer significant impact from wind. Once you add one of many windshields available, they can definitely improve, however still suffer the same old instability issues etc, and I have found many of these windshields to be quite fiddly and sometimes difficult to stabilize in the alpine winds. What I love about the Trangia, is that most of the time more wind seems to actually IMPROVE performance, as it has holes in its base that are designed to be pointed towards the wind, and direct the wind in moderation towards the burner, I suppose to 'fan' the flame. I think that improving performance using something that normally inhibits performance, is simply fantastic. Many people may correct me or disagree with me, however these are just my thoughts from my experiences. I will add that gas stoves definitely have their advantages, especially when going solo, but the Trangia 27 is perfect for my partner and I, yet still light enough that I can take it solo if I want. I wouldn't bother with the kettle, I just boil water first thing when I get to site, and pour it straight into my Nalgene bottle - whilst I cook my dinner, the water in the bottle cools down just enough to become a good heater for the tent overnight, and it is my clean drinking water the next morning.

Tip: if going with a partner, I don't take two bowls - just buy a second Trangia 'pot grabber' handle thingy for around $10, and the two equally sized pots in the kit can double as good sized bowls when the food is ready (also the second handle will pack neatly inside the kit). The pot/bowls cool down fast enough due to being so thin. That is of course if you don't just eat straight from the rehydrated meal packet.
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RonK » Wed 17 May, 2017 2:03 pm

LuxLuthor05 wrote:

Hi mate, hopefully I can help a little bit here:

Unprotected gas stoves will always suffer significant impact from wind. Once you add one of many windshields available, they can definitely improve, however still suffer the same old instability issues etc, and I have found many of these windshields to be quite fiddly and sometimes difficult to stabilize in the alpine winds.

Err no - remote stoves do not suffer from instability problems. And in any case I believe the poster is asking about using a remote stove with the Trangia windshield.

LuxLuthor05 wrote:What I love about the Trangia, is that most of the time more wind seems to actually IMPROVE performance, as it has holes in its base that are designed to be pointed towards the wind, and direct the wind in moderation towards the burner, I suppose to 'fan' the flame. I think that improving performance using something that normally inhibits performance, is simply fantastic.

Oh really? I'd advise you to take care or your Trangia may end up looking like this.

Yes, Trangias meltdowns are not at all uncommon.
RonK

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Wed 17 May, 2017 2:50 pm

RonK wrote:Err no - remote stoves do not suffer from instability problems.

Oh really? I'd advise you to take care or your Trangia may end up looking like this.

Yes, Trangias meltdowns are not at all uncommon.

As for the instability comment - my misunderstanding. I was referring to the gas canister type screw-on type stoves (soto, 360 degrees, msr etc). In my experience I have found these to be quite top heavy once a full pot is placed on top. This was my bad - I was thinking about the wrong product.

As far as the "oh really" goes: I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but it sounds as if you are implying that pointing the holes to the wind is bad....... this would put you in disagreement with Trangia. The product is designed so that you SHOULD point the holes to the wind, and you only risk meltdown if you DON'T do this, or if you boil the pot dry etc. Trangia meltdowns are very easily avoidable, just like tent fires, fuel burns, and all the other user-error type accidents. All that is required is a small amount of effort to read the directions and not try anything silly.

Here are two pieces of information taken directly from Trangias 'FAQ' section:

"My vessels or windshield has melted, how could this happen?

If you “dry cook”, i.e. put a pot over the flame without food, liquid or fat, it soon becomes too hot and can cause the pot to melt. The vents in the lower windshield should be turned into the wind. If it is wrong or if the wind suddenly turns you can get a back flow that causes a melting of the air holes. Spilt fuel on the ground or on the windshield can also cause damage. If you have spilt fuel you need to remove the stove and wipe it dry.

What type of gas cartridge can I use with Trangia´s gas burner or if I use gas with the multifuel burner?

These burners should be used with Primus gas cartridges 2202, 2206, 2207 or gas cartridges of other brands with propane/butan mix with the threaded valve according to standard EN417 (examples of other brands are MSR, Optimus, Markill, Coleman). Unfortunately, it is not possible to use gas cartridges that can be refilled, with the Trangia gas burner."
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RonK » Wed 17 May, 2017 3:34 pm

LuxLuthor05 wrote:As far as the "oh really" goes: I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but it sounds as if you are implying that pointing the holes to the wind is bad....... this would put you in disagreement with Trangia.

Nope, I think it's quite clear that I'm refering to your assertion that wind improves performance is "simply fantastic", hence the warning. You may not think it so fantastic if you have a meltdown.

Oh, and this meltdown did not occur because it was “dry cooking". The stove was being used to cook porridge at the time. And it was windy.
RonK

Next

Return to Equipment