Vango F10 Helium 1person v Macpac Sololight for Tassie?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Vango F10 Helium 1person v Macpac Sololight for Tassie?

Postby Garg » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 9:25 am

Hi,
Would welcome advice re which of above tents would be better for Central Plateau of Tasmania. Both are currently on sale for approx $320 and look similar. Vango less mesh so probably warmer?
I used a Tarptent Double rainbow in Tassie last January and found it too drafty and cold. Had problem in high wind too. I love the design of the tent but it doesn't seem right for Tassie conditions. Thoughts?
Garg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Vango F10 Helium 1person v Macpac Sololight for Tassie?

Postby slparker » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 9:47 am

I think you have to pick the right tarptent. My double moment broke both zips and the strut-tapes tape (again) in strong winds up on Ben Lomond - very exposed camp though.
Many people swear by the scarp and stratospire for alpine conditions. I was up on bogong summit a couple of weeks ago in 60kmhr+ winds and a tarptent in the group was fine, a older model I think.
My impression of the moment and rainbow is that they're for sheltered warmweather camping, certainly the moment has excellent ventilation which is why I bought it.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Garg » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks for your input. Will have a look at the scarp and stratoshere.
Garg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Franco » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 1:33 pm

There are many tents that use a somewhat similar single hoop /pointed ends set up to the two you are looking at, the Moment is like that.
The difference with the Scarp is that it has 4 strong anchoring points (one at each corner) , plus a mid end strut as well as the (you need to add...) guylines at the main pole.
So in a way 4 extra points to keep it in tension compared with the other designs.
The SS 1/2 relay a lot on having strong trekking poles to keep the mostly rigid structure up in foul weather as well as optimal placement of the apex guylines..
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnrs » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 10:29 am

hey Garg
Go the Vango Helium 1 (or 2 if you are large).
There is a review in the review section.
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 10:48 am

Rather than deal with a myriad of specific tent models, all to none of which may satisfy your requirements, make a list of the design features you require, apart from size which only you can determine my thoughts are:
- fly comes close to the ground. many US tents maintain quite a large gap between to fly and the ground which is good for ventilation but bad in high winds.
- ventilation - a vent placed high on the tent will help reduce condensation (not eliminate it). Ventilation and storm resistance can be a bit of a problem to find the right balance.
- side or front entry. Side entry (both sides if a 2 person tent) is often favoured by the older and less limber walker.
- fabric or net inner. Fabric is a bit warmer (definitely preferable in snow) while netting provides better ventilation. Most tents have a mix so another balancing act.
- ability to guy it out. This is a function of shape and size of unsupported panels. For above treeline you want to be able to make it rock solid. Flapping tents will often be damaged once a peg or two is loosened.

This is NOT a specific tent recommendation but you may like to look at both to illustrate the points made above. Below the tree line I use a ZPacks Solplex where I want good ventilation, and above the tree line a Terra Nova Laser Competition 1 where I want storm worthiness.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Mickl » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:47 am

As Johnrs said I put a fairly detailed review on the Vango unit in the reviews section. Not sure if it helps but I still have and use the tent and its pretty much become my wife's go to tent now when she needs one and she loves it.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

One thing I will say is get the 2 person version as the 1 would be very tight and the extra weight would be worth the extra room you get. Also the new model has 2 doors (one each side) and as that was the only real thing I would fault on my model. It would be a great tent with that addition...

I've had it out in fairly bad weather a few times and never felt like it was going to be damaged. I have added two long guy ropes to each side of the main hoop as well and that seems to really help with the side to side movement of the tent...

Mick
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Garg » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 4:41 pm

Hey,

Thanks to all of you for your input. I have just managed to pick up a Terra Nova Competition 2nd hand from this forum and was pleased to hear Mark's positive comments. Might test it out in Tassie in a couple of weeks.
Cheers.
Gary
Garg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Macpac Sololight

Postby Shards » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi there,
I am still new to overnight hiking, planning on one. Didn't want to start a new thread but do think the Macpac Sololight will be ok for Tasmania's Overland Track and some NZ walking?

I've never camped before so was looking for something easy to setup and light. And the Macpac is only $330.
Shards
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment