K-Mart vacuum sealer

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

K-Mart vacuum sealer

Postby Drew » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 2:50 pm

Anyone tried this vacuum sealer from K-Mart? http://www.kmart.com.au/product/vacuum- ... ler/763803

Or other cheap vacuum sealers for that matter? Maybe you need to spend a lot more to get something that works well?

I normally just put my dehydrated meals in zip-loc bags. I'm going to be doing quite a few meals to take on hikes in Peru in June (probably 2 x 6 day hikes), and thinking that the vacuum sealer could be good to reduce the bulk a bit. Not so worried about spoilage as they'll be stored in the freezer until leaving home and then will be used within a couple of weeks, but it probably be good to be certain on that front too.

Cheers
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: K-Mart vacuum sealer

Postby oldpiscator » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 3:13 pm

Bought the Aldi vacuum sealer about a month ago. Very happy with it so far. Usually on sale a couple of times a year.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rsawyer » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 6:34 pm

I bought a cheapy a few years ago off a daily deals web site - never heard of the brand but it seems to work OK.
rsawyer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 6:35 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24957&p=318807#p318807

I haven't used it much but great value. With bags was about $40
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Drew » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 8:24 am

Thanks. I'm not sure how long I'd have to wait for the Aldi one so that might not be an option. But good to know at least that cheaper ones can be okay. I think I'd prefer to get the K-Mart one over Aliexpress so I can return it easily if it's rubbish.
Drew

Return to Equipment